Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,906,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
True... but I want my elected officials to have some track record of accomplishments. Ossoff has done almost nothing to qualify him in my mind. Can someone please explain his appeal other than being handpicked by a political party for this seat. Simply having a 'D' next to his name and being 'not Trump' doesn't do it for me. Give me some reason to believe this kid can do something. Making a few films and passing yourself off as a hero in political ads does not count as an accomplishment in my book.
If you are truly interested, attend a forum and see the candidates for yourself. I did. Slotin might be more up your alley....older, former state Senator, the usual middle-aged white guy politician. However, he would be a sure loser to the Republicans in the 6th.

Ossoff has made a good impression on me. I have seen him in several settings. There is something about him that commands attention in a room. He has people excited. He has made a Democratic win possible.

Republicans have gotten so comfortable in their gerrymandered seats in Georgia, that they have not been responsive to their constituents. I have lived here over 30 years and have felt that I have had zero voice. Ossoff reflects my values. Electing Ossoff, who is a different kind of candidate, will be a wake up call for everyone. Start listening and serving the people or your seat may be in jeopardy, too!

We knew from the beginning that Dems would need to unite behind one candidate. This is bigger than just Ossoff...but it was only Ossoff that could get the millions of dollars and thousands of volunteers needed to Flip the Sixth.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:28 PM

643 posts, read 571,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
If you are truly interested, attend a forum and see the candidates for yourself. I did. Slotin might be more up your alley....older, former state Senator, the usual middle-aged white guy politician. However, he would be a sure loser to the Republicans in the 6th.

Ossoff has made a good impression on me. I have seen him in several settings. There is something about him that commands attention in a room. He has people excited. He has made a Democratic win possible.

Republicans have gotten so comfortable in their gerrymandered seats in Georgia, that they have not been responsive to their constituents. I have lived here over 30 years and have felt that I have had zero voice. Ossoff reflects my values. Electing Ossoff, who is a different kind of candidate, will be a wake up call for everyone. Start listening and serving the people or your seat may be in jeopardy, too!

We knew from the beginning that Dems would need to unite behind one candidate. This is bigger than just Ossoff...but it was only Ossoff that could get the millions of dollars and thousands of volunteers needed to Flip the Sixth.
So, no accomplishments or track record to indicate he will do a good job?

Seriously? He keeps playing an ad where the basis is "rape and sex slavery is bad." Wow. Way to take a stance.

I want an elected official who has accomplished something in their life. This guy doesn't appear to have a track record of anything. I'll take a hard pass on this guy... but yeah, I'm with him on 'sex slavery is bad.'

Old 03-30-2017, 08:35 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,692 times
London School of Economics is a highly-regarded institution. Intelligence is a desirable attribute for a lawmaker.

Experience working on foreign policy/security within the House of Reps is beneficial as well.

I'm voting for him.

#flipthe6th

Old 03-30-2017, 08:35 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,253,200 times
He's NOT another social conservative, Tea Partier, or a Trump supporter. He's not Republican. Just that by itself is good enough for the intelligent/educated/fed up residents of the 6th district, in a politically changing area. As it well should be.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:05 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,319,859 times
Quote:

Seriously? He keeps playing an ad where the basis is "rape and sex slavery is bad." Wow. Way to take a stance.

I want an elected official who has accomplished something in their life. This guy doesn't appear to have a track record of anything. I'll take a hard pass on this guy... but yeah, I'm with him on 'sex slavery is bad.'
We get it. You're a hard R voter only. No need to make excuses
If Ossoff were the Republican you'd find a way to vote for him regardless of what you say.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:16 PM

643 posts, read 571,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
London School of Economics is a highly-regarded institution. Intelligence is a desirable attribute for a lawmaker.

Experience working on foreign policy/security within the House of Reps is beneficial as well.

I'm voting for him.

#flipthe6th
There are a lot of smart people. Hell, GWB has degrees from Yale and an MBA from Harvard. Did that win you over?

Simply toiling away as a low level aide is not very impressive. He fails to specify any accomplishments as an aid. Simply checking a block? Not impressive.

Come on guys.

It is okay to admit he has no record of accomplishments but you'll vote for him simply for the D next to his name. Just come out and say it. No need to try to sell a turd as anything other than a turd.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:19 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,642,980 times
Quote:

I am sure you voted for Trump who had no experience as well, so what's your excuse now?

Old 03-30-2017, 09:26 PM

356 posts, read 316,679 times
I think Ossoff has a better chance than most would've ever expected. His signs slowly keep popping up in my neighborhood in east Cobb. A neighborhood with zero Clinton signs and 1 Trump sign last fall.

It might come down to turnout / passion from the Dem base and Independents fed up with Trump.

Personally I think he has a better chance if he can squeak past 50% and avoid the runoff.

Crazy how much attention this is getting; we received a postcard from a random person in California urging us to vote Ossoff.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,361,792 times
Quote:
Then vote at the State and local level. If you are looking to DC for education wins, you don't understand education.

I am not worried about education in just Georgia but the U.S. in general.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:00 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,406,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
I think Ossoff has a better chance than most would've ever expected. His signs slowly keep popping up in my neighborhood in east Cobb. A neighborhood with zero Clinton signs and 1 Trump sign last fall.

It might come down to turnout / passion from the Dem base and Independents fed up with Trump.

Personally I think he has a better chance if he can squeak past 50% and avoid the runoff.

Crazy how much attention this is getting; we received a postcard from a random person in California urging us to vote Ossoff.
Agreed, I'm voting for Ossoff but I'm skeptical he will be able to win in a runoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta