Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 10:41 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Let's not pretend that Gwinnett doesn't have MARTA just because there hasn't been a vote in a long time.
Obviously, you're insinuating that Gwinnett is rejecting MARTA because it is racist.

Have you noticed that non-white people are flocking to live among the Gwinnetians? Certainly they aren't there for the beauty or infrastucture. Gwinnett is ugly and boring. The only reason to live in Gwinnett is because you like the people. So, either these non-whites are idiots or masochists, or perhaps you are telling a vicious lie about Gwinnetians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 10:45 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Obviously, you're insinuating that Gwinnett is rejecting MARTA because it is racist.

Have you noticed that non-white people are flocking to live among the Gwinnetians? Certainly they aren't there for the beauty or infrastucture. Gwinnett is ugly and boring. The only reason to live in Gwinnett is because you like the people. So, either these non-whites are idiots or masochists, or perhaps you are telling a vicious lie about Gwinnetians.
Or, perhaps, it's because the county is cheap?

Old 03-31-2017, 11:01 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
Not really. While I do think there might be some element to that for some people, it could just be that minorities are more open to taking transit so that as more of them move into the county the opinion of the county as a whole becomes more accepting of it.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:12 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
2017? I thought racism didnt exist anymore. All you need is an "education" and life will be fair for you.
Oh, stupid me. I forgot that we are a color blind society now. Must be because I don't watch the color blind mainstream news.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:20 AM

4,050 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Quote:

As someone who chose to live in Gwinnett, thanks for those judgmental comments! What county has more beauty? Gwinnett has some great parks and some nice homes. What is it that Gwinnett is lacking (in your eyes)? Boring? Again, what does Gwinnett lack? What county is exciting to you? I'm never bored in Gwinnett, but obviously different things appeal to me than to you.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:28 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
When my parents moved us out to Gwinnett when I was a kid, it was because it was affordable and the schools were good. I think that's still the same basic formula that drives and defines the growth in Gwinnett, to this day.

Part of the reason minorities are going out there more and more, is because DeKalb is increasingly gentrified and expensive in some areas, and increasingly rougher in other areas. Also now because it's so diverse out there now, so they won't be the only people on the block that look like them. It won't feel anything like Deliverance, like it might have felt for a black family moving out to Gwinnett in the late 70's or early 80's era, when it was all white people and a lot more rural. (And racism was more prevalent in general also.)

Old 03-31-2017, 11:31 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Or, perhaps, it's because the county is cheap?

LOL, it's amazing how easily you people lie. It seems to take no effort at all.

Obviously, it would be cheaper to move to South Dekalb or South Fulton rather than Gwinnett. OBVIOUSLY. So they aren't moving to Gwinnett for the cost of living. But, yeah, thanks for your contributions to the discussion.

They're moving there to be around the PEOPLE, especially the PEOPLE who attend the schools.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:49 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Um, people ARE buying homes and renting apartments in Gwinnett because it's cheaper, because it IS a whole ton cheaper.

I thought that was really one of the main appeals of Gwinnett, especially in this day and age of horrible commute times.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:08 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Will this fast track a discussion on metro-wide commuter rail?
Fast track? Probably not. That'll take longer to implement than rebuilding the bridge but it may at least spark some interest. But this is a short term issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
In times like this, in a lot of ways, it's actually good that Atlanta is not that centralized so many people don't work in central Atlanta so they don't need to take I-85.
I was thinking the same thing earlier. I've been checking Google Maps on my phone all day (btw, you can play Pacman on it right now) and 400 has been nothing but green. A lot of people who work in PC or Alpharetta aren't affected by this at all. Same for those in Cumberland that aren't commuting on 285. Heck, even people working in Buckhead but living way on up 400 aren't too affected. I can't imagine if all the jobs were concentrated just in Midtown/Downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
As someone who chose to live in Gwinnett, thanks for those judgmental comments! What county has more beauty? Gwinnett has some great parks and some nice homes. What is it that Gwinnett is lacking (in your eyes)? Boring? Again, what does Gwinnett lack? What county is exciting to you? I'm never bored in Gwinnett, but obviously different things appeal to me than to you.
Exactly. There's not a huge difference between Gwinnett and other counties. Every county has some rough areas but Gwinnett has plenty of really nice areas. Excellent school system. It is often cheaper than N Fulton and east Cobb. Excellent park system. It's all the NE/N metro area so it looks pretty damn similar to the rest of the metro. Relatively cheap, plenty of top notch schools, plenty of really safe areas. It's really just lacking a major job center. And it's no more boring than any other suburban area.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:21 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
I can't imagine if all the jobs were concentrated just in Midtown/Downtown.
People from 400 and I-85 would have the option to use Red/Gold Lines to access Midtown/Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta