Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 04:18 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I hope they were careful to preserve enough of the site and the damaged portions of the bridge to allow for a thorough forensic examination.

Failing to do that would create fertile ground for another round of conspiracy theories. I can already hear the nutcases insisting that it was a false flag operation by MARTA proponents designed to take away people's cars and cram mass transit down our throats. "You will face forward while riding the public Dream Train, citizen!"
They'll do that anyway, no matter how thorough the investigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 04:28 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,505 times
Has there been any official word yet on if Buford highway can reopen or does that need to be replaced too? I would assume only the south side of that would maybe need to be replaced if either side needed to be at all

Old 03-31-2017, 04:39 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
Has there been any official word yet on if Buford highway can reopen or does that need to be replaced too? I would assume only the south side of that would maybe need to be replaced if either side needed to be at all
NB side reopened this afternoon.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:47 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
I find it funny how the collapse shows the nearby Marta Lindbergh rail yard in the background. Great cities have great rail options. I hope this is a wake-up call.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:49 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
NB side reopened this afternoon.
Evidently southbound side doesn't need to be replaced but it will be frequently shutdown during times when they're repairing the northbound lane on 85

Old 03-31-2017, 04:57 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Hear, hear. This is a perfect opportunity for Deal to kick off an initiative to coalesce state funding for MARTA. Connect the dots, Nathan.

Gov. Nathan Deal declares Georgia State of Emergency in I-85 collapse | The Telegraph

In the news conference, it sounded like the spokespersons were emphatic about the materials not being of a flammable nature, but then my husband and I sensed them treating the subject with a measure of evasion. I think the press did as well, as they were on them like a duck on a junebug over this topic in the Q&A.
They sure didn't waste any time clearing the area, either. Rather like a cremation without an autopsy...
The Commissioner of GDOT said it is Non/combustible, Not Non/Flammable.

If will Burn if you light it on fire, Like most thinks in your home. It will not just start a fire on its own.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:20 PM

160 posts, read 159,267 times
Is it common practice for major cities to store highly combustible, flammable materials under major arteries? I've never heard of such. It's either down-right idiotic or suspect. And we clearly see a pic of a law enforcement guy standing around the area as the fire begins lol???

Old 03-31-2017, 05:23 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNashville View Post
Is it common practice for major cities to store highly combustible, flammable materials under major arteries? I've never heard of such. It's either down-right idiotic or suspect. And we clearly see a pic of a law enforcement guy standing around the area as the fire begins lol???
The materials were not combustible from what they have said. We don't know how the fire started.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:36 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNashville View Post
Keep in mind that PVC ignites at 435°-557° C. That's 815° - 1035° F.

It takes a lot to get that going. That said, PVC may not burn pretty, but it sure burns hot. That's into the weakening of steel point (425° C), especially if left to burn for a prolonged amount of time to heat and bake the concrete.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:46 PM

160 posts, read 159,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Keep in mind that PVC ignites at 435°-557° C. That's 815° - 1035° F.

It takes a lot to get that going. That said, PVC may not burn pretty, but it sure burns hot. That's into the weakening of steel point (425° C), especially if left to burn for a prolonged amount of time to heat and bake the concrete.
So it was probably set, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta