Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 03:44 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
The campus carry is dumb, teachers and students overwhelming don't want it, yet a very small contingent does and because it's GA it happens.

I also don't like the fact that every place MUST say you can't carry in their establishment, that's foolish.

New law allows Georgia residents to carry guns in churches, schools, bars - CBS News

On top of the foolishness that at least was, I don't know if this has changed of bringing guns into churches and BARS. Are you nuts!

Last week there was a report of an armed assailant at GT, it turned out to be nothing, but how does anyone know anything if people are allowed to carry, it's way too chaotic and creates more problems overall.

Overall, I can appreciate what he's done for business, but these clear ideologue believes are way too far for me and one of the big reasons I could never vote for him.

These are another issue that makes me question him a lot:

School takeover vote campaign: Ga Gov's relative earns commission
You could always move to places like Chicago, NYC, or LA where they don't have the option without jumping through hoops. Tell me how that works out for you. And you point out one incident at GT, what about these?

https://www.google.com/#q=georgia+tech+student+robbed

No comment on those i'm guessing. As I said, for those advocating so hard against it I welcome you to go down there and be a security guard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 05:06 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
If you want to be one of those people that hope to be able to pull out a cell phone and call the cops then so be it. Not everyone wants to rely on other people to defend them.
Way to ignore my point. I'm saying that in the actual real world, overall being armed is just as much liability as "defense". It's just as much added danger as added safety. To you, to bystanders, to the whole society.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:59 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Way to ignore my point. I'm saying that in the actual real world, overall being armed is just as much liability as "defense". It's just as much added danger as added safety. To you, to bystanders, to the whole society.
I, for one, thought it was a very plausible point pt, and one that has been troubling me since the debate began.
Playing with matches.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:44 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Governor Deal deserves serious recognition for being moderate in today's often overly polarized political world.

Despite having an "R" next to his name he has taken a lot of moderate stances.There are a lot of big things like him killing the terrible "religious freedom" bill that was moving through the state to smaller / symbolic things like him having a great working relationship with those on the other side of the aisle like Mayor Reed and riding / supporting transit: Atlanta I-85 bridge collapse: Governor Deal to ride MARTA on Wednesday | Political Insider blog
I think more credit goes to metro Atlanta and the business crowd...for having such an extreme amount of influence to keep Governors like Deal more on the moderate side of Georgia politics...than Deal himself.

Deal is a classic good ol' boy Gomer.

And I think if metro Atlanta and its leadership was more weaker, Deal would be a lot more Trump-like. And as a result would probably govern a lot more like former North Carolina governor Pat McCrory.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:04 PM

134 posts, read 185,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I think more credit goes to metro Atlanta and the business crowd...for having such an extreme amount of influence to keep Governors like Deal more on the moderate side of Georgia politics...than Deal himself.

And I think if metro Atlanta and its leadership was more weaker, Deal would be a lot more Trump-like. And as a result would probably govern a lot more like former North Carolina governor Pat McCrory.
Perhaps, but NC has a significant business reputation with Charlotte and RTP and that didn't stop McCrory from going ape **** with the far right leadership.

Overall, Deal had done as moderate a job as I could expect for a Deep South Republican governor. I actually wish we would have run for president. Though he likely doesn't have the national profile to win, he would have been much better than Trump

Old 04-10-2017, 01:37 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:

That is a good point that much (if not most of the) credit likely goes to metro Atlanta's extremely-dominant business community for having the type of massive amount of influence that keeps governors like Nathan Deal on the moderate side of Georgia politics.

But Deal himself also gets a massive amount of credit for often being deeply involved in the massive expansion of Georgia's television and film production industry by often flying out to California to personally recruit television and film production companies and interests to invest and do business in the state of Georgia.

Governor Deal has played a lead role in helping to expand Georgia's television and film production industry to become the third-largest (and soon-to-be second-largest) on the entire planet.

Governor Deal gets a massive amount of credit for doing right by the state in that regard and creating a positive lasting legacy that most likely will continue to benefit the state in positive ways for years and decades to come.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I wouldn't vote for this bill and might veto it (again) if I were the governor. That said, two things. In the "real-world" U.S., you don't get to decide if another citizen is safer or less safe when possessing a firearm. The individual citizen gets to decide that for him or herself.

Second, since your argument is a statistical one (albeit without providing any statistics), check out the rate at which concealed-carry permit holders commit gun crimes. It's minuscule, much, much lower than for the population at large, and the most common "gun crime" is inadvertently carrying their firearm into a prohibited location.

Illegal guns and gun crime are big problems, but it turns out that citizens with no previous felony record who go down to the court, fill out an application, register with the state, and get photographed and fingerprinted almost never commit gun crimes. Let's not pretend that this bill will lead to folks shooting up college campuses. There just isn't any evidence for that.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:20 AM

376 posts, read 330,456 times
Quote:

I'm no huge fan of Deal but I will say that out of all the other Republican governors in the country I'm glad we have Deal. I can't think of another Republican governor I'd replace him with.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:24 PM

770 posts, read 603,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
You could always move to places like Chicago, NYC, or LA where they don't have the option without jumping through hoops. Tell me how that works out for you. And you point out one incident at GT, what about these?

https://www.google.com/#q=georgia+tech+student+robbed

No comment on those i'm guessing. As I said, for those advocating so hard against it I welcome you to go down there and be a security guard.
Actually I lived in NYC and it was safe, I didn't have issues there one bit and actually I felt better about the fact no one did or if someone saw a gun on the street it was a big deal like it should be. There is such a thing as being aware of your surroundings.

That's not to say I've been in cities where I didn't feel safe and of course things happen, but a gun is excessive to the situation, but that's an argument for another time. And to bring up random GT violence is silly, things happen, but much of it hasn't been in the last couple years.

But you changed the dialogue to your agenda. Back to the subject, for Deal to push the guns on the public overall including forcing private businesses to say you can't take weapons into their establishment and churches and bars you can, is excessive in my view and something I wouldn't vote for.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:27 PM

770 posts, read 603,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelinMan View Post
I'm no huge fan of Deal but I will say that out of all the other Republican governors in the country I'm glad we have Deal. I can't think of another Republican governor I'd replace him with.
I can agree with this sentiment overall, I wouldn't vote for him, but can't think of many others I'd even consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta