Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:01 PM

10,331 posts, read 11,316,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
Back to the subject, for Deal to push the guns on the public overall including forcing private businesses to say you can't take weapons into their establishment and churches and bars you can, is excessive in my view and something I wouldn't vote for.
This comment kind of raises an important point about the history of the voting electorate in Southern states like Georgia when it comes to gun laws.

Southern states like Georgia have a history of making gun law as a symbolic statement of public pushback against more restrictive gun laws in Northern states like Illinois, New York, Connecticut, etc.

Voters in Georgia and many other Southern states may not necessarily always feel completely comfortable with high-profile expansions of gun rights, but they often will embrace gun rights expansion laws (like the Georgia "Guns Everywhere Law" of 2014) if they view that the laws are being used to pushback against an overbearing social agenda (particularly an overbearing left-leaning social agenda) that is being pushed by Northern states and the mainstream media, a mainstream media whom Southern electorates (who generally lean more conservative in many respects) view as leaning too far to the left.

In the case of the Georgia "Guns Everywhere Law" of 2014, many even though many Georgia voters personally might not have been completely comfortable with the gun rights expansion legislation, they still might have supported the symbolism of the legislation being a figurative middle-finger from the South towards legislatures in Northern states like New York and Connecticut that were pushing even stiffer gun restrictions in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre.

A good example of this is the Kennesaw gun law of 1982, a largely symbolic and unenforceable law that required each household in the city to own a gun.

The gun law in Kennesaw (a suburb of Atlanta) was made in direct response to a citywide gun ban that had been put into place the year before in Morton Grove, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago).

Voters in Southern states (like Georgia) where Second Amendment rights are generally considered to be sacrosanct often will support, if not embrace, maximum gun rights expansion laws as a symbolic pushback against what they perceive to be a left-leaning social agenda being pushed by Northerners and the mainstream media, even if and when Southern voters may not necessarily always feel comfortable about it personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 06:56 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,282,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelinMan View Post
I'm no huge fan of Deal but I will say that out of all the other Republican governors in the country I'm glad we have Deal. I can't think of another Republican governor I'd replace him with.
Ohio Governor John Kasich seems to be a reasonable Republican politician, relatively speaking. Plus, Governor Kasich made the great decision to opt-in to the Affordable Care Act.

Something that Deal refused to do.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:11 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,114,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
I was becoming a fan of Governor Deal, but then in the last two weeks he allowed the I-85 bridge to fall down, several tornadoes, and now an earthquake near Sparta. I'm beginning to question his powers.
And for these reasons, he deserves to be investigated just like Benghazi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta