U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 12:30 PM

139 posts, read 135,315 times

Advertisements

@PTC Dad the only thing about Fayette county is that it seems a bit far. My husband works in midtown and I think that would be a little much to drive in and out each day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 12:40 PM

@red92s This seems to be true and yet still disappointing. No one has said anything about the south side cascade. Should I take that completely off my list?

@primaltech @LovinDecatur

For instance, what do you think about these homes? Would you all still go for Smyrna?
7036 Talkeetna Ct Sw, Atlanta, GA 30331 - realtor.com®

5208 Flat Shoals Pkwy, Decatur, GA 30034 - realtor.com®

696 King Sword Ct Se, Mableton, GA 30126 - realtor.com®

3919 Concord Walk Dr Se, Smyrna, GA 30082 - realtor.com®

Old 04-05-2017, 01:05 PM

6,333 posts, read 3,413,664 times
Personally I'd go for the Mableton. Anything around that Discovery Blvd and Queen Mill Rd area, looks like some seriously good deals right now, for some quite large and nice looking homes.

Of course there are going to be downsides, as with anything. But that area is literally just across the river from Atlanta, right off both 285 and 20, probably 8-10 miles from Downtown Atlanta, and that whole side of town is going to be developing and gentrifying in the coming decades.

They're even planning on building a new park&ride MARTA station at 285@139/MLK. That's like less than 5 miles down the road from that part of Mableton, so you could park and get to Midtown jobs and the airport and whatever else. Traffic is only going to be getting even worse over the years, so that to me is huge. And even if they don't build that station, the current end of the line station is also not too far from Mableton.

I don't have kids so I can't comment about schools, but if the schools are at least decent, I would go for it.

Definitely consider Smyrna also, but it's more expensive. And parts of Smyrna can be kind of awkward to commute to Midtown. Like the S Cobb Dr corridor, where you're far from both 20 and 75, and backroads in the city are kind of indirect.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:07 PM

23,052 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquestar06 View Post
@red92s This seems to be true and yet still disappointing. No one has said anything about the south side cascade. Should I take that completely off my list?

@primaltech @LovinDecatur

For instance, what do you think about these homes? Would you all still go for Smyrna?
7036 Talkeetna Ct Sw, Atlanta, GA 30331 - realtor.com®

5208 Flat Shoals Pkwy, Decatur, GA 30034 - realtor.com®

696 King Sword Ct Se, Mableton, GA 30126 - realtor.com®

3919 Concord Walk Dr Se, Smyrna, GA 30082 - realtor.com®
They are all attractive, and I infer that the neighborhoods are as well, but I can't help but notice that the only listing that touts the school district is in Smyrna. First thing I would do is check out the school ratings on each one.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:10 PM

@primaltech you make some really good points about mableton. I plan to do more research on the area. The direct commute to midtown and downtown are tempting! I also need to check out schools. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 04-05-2017, 01:13 PM

@LovinDecatur Good point. I assume because Smyrna is known for schools it can be used as a good marketing tool for the homes!

Old 04-05-2017, 01:27 PM

2,379 posts, read 3,741,607 times
Quote:
@primaltech you make some really good points about mableton. I plan to do more research on the area. The direct commute to midtown and downtown are tempting! I also need to check out schools. Thanks for the feedback!
I had friends move into Stoney Brook in Mableton and they have been very happy with that area and it is in your price range. It feeds into Nickajack Elementary which has good reputation and ultimately to Campbell High School which is the better school in the Smyrna/Mableton area

Old 04-05-2017, 01:27 PM

23,052 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
I have a couple of friends in Mableton that will readily say that for the price the ease of access to town is a big plus. Both came from east side suburbs of similar distance and the commute into Midtown was much worse.
One of them moved from a house in Leafmore Hills (NE Atlanta) to Mableton (off Nickajack Rd.). He sold a house with a mortgage and bought a comparable home in Mableton for cash! So, yes, a lot of bang for your buck over there. Plus, both love the access they have to the Silver Comet Trail.

Silver Comet Trail Georgia - Welcome

Old 04-05-2017, 05:10 PM

10,022 posts, read 9,328,780 times
Quote:
My husband and I recently moved to the Atlanta area from DC for work. We are currently renting a home in Smyrna. Although I really like Smyrna because it gives me the same type of lifestyle I had in Northern Virginia I can't imagine buying in the area. I refuse to pay DC housing prices anywhere in this area, but my husband and I are trying to consider other areas that are a bit more affordable to purchase in. I have a theory that the Smyrna prices on homes will drop. Everyone is speculating about Suntrust park being such an asset and its driving the prices up to 450k plus, but I think the traffic is going to actually to do the opposite and drive people out. My neighbors have already said they are leaving because the traffic is just getting worse. Anyway, I work downtown and husband works in midtown. We are african american. I like mixed diverse neighborhoods but Atlanta seems to be a place of extremes...We do not have kids but want them in the next few years so schools are important to our buying decision. We would prefer not to have to put our kids in private school but if we have to so be it. We also like an area that has decent amenities close by...shops, gyms, salons, and is also dog friendly. We are looking for a single family home $325000 and under but could go up, just prefer not to. 3 bedroom 2 bath minimum, ideally 4 bedrooms though. I would prefer a gated community but not sure I will be able to find it for under 350k and under....

What do you guys think about Smyrna, Mableton, Decatur, and the Cascade area in 30331 (i hear so many mixed reviews...alot of bad but also that they have prestigious gated communities and top charter schools, confused!)

Also, if you have any other areas we should check out please let me know!

If you were buying right now where would you buy????
Somewhere near LovinDecatur and arjay...

Old 04-05-2017, 05:28 PM

29,352 posts, read 26,300,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Somewhere near LovinDecatur and arjay...
Aw, come on, now, Ansley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or