U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 PM

637 posts, read 421,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquestar06 View Post
@PTC Dad the only thing about Fayette county is that it seems a bit far. My husband works in midtown and I think that would be a little much to drive in and out each day...
North Fayette is only about 30 minutes (google maps says 29 minutes without traffic) to midtown and 45 minutes during rush hour. I don't think Mableton would be that much closer during rush hour (google maps says 23-29 minutes without traffic) because the traffic tends to be heavier in Cobb.

You'd also be in a higher rated school district, although I've heard great things about the IB program at Campbell High School in Smyrna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 08:55 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,547,781 times
Quote:
My husband and I recently moved to the Atlanta area from DC for work. We are currently renting a home in Smyrna. Although I really like Smyrna because it gives me the same type of lifestyle I had in Northern Virginia I can't imagine buying in the area. I refuse to pay DC housing prices anywhere in this area, but my husband and I are trying to consider other areas that are a bit more affordable to purchase in. I have a theory that the Smyrna prices on homes will drop. Everyone is speculating about Suntrust park being such an asset and its driving the prices up to 450k plus, but I think the traffic is going to actually to do the opposite and drive people out. My neighbors have already said they are leaving because the traffic is just getting worse. Anyway, I work downtown and husband works in midtown. We are african american. I like mixed diverse neighborhoods but Atlanta seems to be a place of extremes...We do not have kids but want them in the next few years so schools are important to our buying decision. We would prefer not to have to put our kids in private school but if we have to so be it. We also like an area that has decent amenities close by...shops, gyms, salons, and is also dog friendly. We are looking for a single family home $325000 and under but could go up, just prefer not to. 3 bedroom 2 bath minimum, ideally 4 bedrooms though. I would prefer a gated community but not sure I will be able to find it for under 350k and under....

What do you guys think about Smyrna, Mableton, Decatur, and the Cascade area in 30331 (i hear so many mixed reviews...alot of bad but also that they have prestigious gated communities and top charter schools, confused!)

Also, if you have any other areas we should check out please let me know!

If you were buying right now where would you buy????
Quote:
@red92s This seems to be true and yet still disappointing. No one has said anything about the south side cascade. Should I take that completely off my list?

@primaltech @LovinDecatur

For instance, what do you think about these homes? Would you all still go for Smyrna?
7036 Talkeetna Ct Sw, Atlanta, GA 30331 - realtor.comŽ

5208 Flat Shoals Pkwy, Decatur, GA 30034 - realtor.comŽ

696 King Sword Ct Se, Mableton, GA 30126 - realtor.comŽ

3919 Concord Walk Dr Se, Smyrna, GA 30082 - realtor.comŽ
If you can find something you like within your budget in Smyrna, then you most likely should stay in the Smyrna area.

Particularly out of the housing choices that you provided above, Smyrna has the most long-term upside, by far.

Smyrna is definitely an area on the rise with much long-term potential.

The schools in the other locations that you provided have their good points (some very good points in some cases) but are generally very lowly-rated.

Otherwise, if you want to have success at finding something in your budget in an area of the highest-rated schools, you are more than likely have to be willing to search and buy in areas that might be much farther out from Midtown Atlanta and Downtown Atlanta than you might be comfortable with.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:51 PM

168 posts, read 485,081 times
Quote:
My husband and I recently moved to the Atlanta area from DC for work. We are currently renting a home in Smyrna. Although I really like Smyrna because it gives me the same type of lifestyle I had in Northern Virginia I can't imagine buying in the area. I refuse to pay DC housing prices anywhere in this area, but my husband and I are trying to consider other areas that are a bit more affordable to purchase in. I have a theory that the Smyrna prices on homes will drop. Everyone is speculating about Suntrust park being such an asset and its driving the prices up to 450k plus, but I think the traffic is going to actually to do the opposite and drive people out. My neighbors have already said they are leaving because the traffic is just getting worse. Anyway, I work downtown and husband works in midtown. We are african american. I like mixed diverse neighborhoods but Atlanta seems to be a place of extremes...We do not have kids but want them in the next few years so schools are important to our buying decision. We would prefer not to have to put our kids in private school but if we have to so be it. We also like an area that has decent amenities close by...shops, gyms, salons, and is also dog friendly. We are looking for a single family home $325000 and under but could go up, just prefer not to. 3 bedroom 2 bath minimum, ideally 4 bedrooms though. I would prefer a gated community but not sure I will be able to find it for under 350k and under....

What do you guys think about Smyrna, Mableton, Decatur, and the Cascade area in 30331 (i hear so many mixed reviews...alot of bad but also that they have prestigious gated communities and top charter schools, confused!)

Also, if you have any other areas we should check out please let me know!

If you were buying right now where would you buy????
Some thoughts:
  • If you don't have kids yet, this almost definitely won't be your last house. You may not even work in the same parts of time by the time you have kids, so just buy the house you need now. Other than Decatur I've lived in the areas you're asking about.
  • Cascade/30331 is not diverse. It's almost completely AA, so if you actually want diverse and not homogeneous, that's not going to work for you. Plenty there in your price range though. The affluent AA neighborhoods in 30331 and all of 30331 for that matter remain underserved by commercial establishments, a decades long disgrace.
  • Smyrna/Mableton: Between the two, pick Smyrna. Smyrna housing prices will probably rise, not drop, and definitely not based on worsening traffic in a city where traffic is bad everywhere (where will everyone go?). Mableton has a lot of stalled development, Smyrna does too really, but the Smyrna sites are seeing construction. Mableton won't "happen" for some time.
  • You're not going to find more affordable housing than Smyrna without giving up things on your list or commuting further. You could go smaller if that's an option.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:23 AM

2,783 posts, read 1,628,289 times
Quote:
@LovinDecatur Smyrna is as far out as I will go in that direction. We are not willing to entertain Kennesaw, Acworth and East Cobb. We could entertain mableton maybe but still not sure. the commute seems decent from that area but im not sure we would enjoy living there.
I think Mableton is becoming more like Smyrna.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:07 AM

1,957 posts, read 1,453,876 times
Cascade Heights/ Sandtown/ Niskey Lake area of Southwest Atlanta/ South Fulton is actually VERY NICE and upscale. The schools do seem a mixed bag (West Manor in the City of Atlanta and Randolph Elementary in Fulton County do seem to be the higher rated elementary schools) The community is beautiful, there is some shopping (Grocery Stores/ Big box Target, etc at Campcreek Market Place), but really you have to go uptown to Phipps Plaza/Lenox Square in Buckhead for anything really special, but so so the folks in Smyrna/ Mableton and the ones out in Fayette. Yes the community is overwhelming Black upper middle class folks, but it may give you a laid back life style and accessibility you might enjoy. At least give it a look before you dismiss it.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:09 AM

305 posts, read 197,247 times
Personally, Alpharetta. A lot of in-town restaurants too are now opening up locations here at as well.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:48 AM

23,044 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
Personally, Alpharetta. A lot of in-town restaurants too are now opening up locations here at as well.
I would have suggested Alpharetta (great place for a family), but the OP had already put the kibosh on Kennesaw, Acworth and East Cobb. Alpharetta would offer a similar commute.
Uniquestar, you might also checkout the city of Peachtree Corners. It's an attractive, well-located (it's even a straight shot to the North Springs MARTA station via Spalding Drive) Gwinnett County community with a very good school district.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...52_rect/11_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...52_rect/11_zm/

Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 AM

139 posts, read 135,315 times
Ok so my husband and I were told that Decatur 30032 was hit or miss and it really depends on the neighborhood. In other words not all of 30032 is bad. What do you guys think? Do you see this area changing and progressing? I know the City of Decatur is out but do you think there will be run over in to 30032? If we put our kids in private school or if schools were not a concern would this be a good investment?

These are some of the homes we saw that we like? What do you guys think? Chance it or no?

1609 Delano Dr, Decatur, GA 30032 - realtor.comŽ

2765 Oak Village Trl, Decatur, GA 30032 - realtor.comŽ

2733 Oak Village Trl, Decatur, GA 30032 - realtor.comŽ

2413 Tilson Ridge Ln, Decatur, GA 30032 - realtor.comŽ

Old 04-13-2017, 08:16 AM

23,044 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Ok so my husband and I were told that Decatur 30032 was hit or miss and it really depends on the neighborhood. In other words not all of 30032 is bad. What do you guys think? Do you see this area changing and progressing? I know the City of Decatur is out but do you think there will be run over in to 30032? If we put our kids in private school or if schools were not a concern would this be a good investment?

These are some of the homes we saw that we like? What do you guys think? Chance it or no?

1609 Delano Dr, Decatur, GA 30032 - realtor.comŽ

2765 Oak Village Trl, Decatur, GA 30032 - realtor.comŽ

2733 Oak Village Trl, Decatur, GA 30032 - realtor.comŽ

2413 Tilson Ridge Ln, Decatur, GA 30032 - realtor.comŽ
Yes, I think what you and your husband are hearing is right. I do, however, think the area is up and coming. These developers are willing to take the plunge, after all. And those prices! It would be twice that or more in COD.
Closer to the city of Decatur's city limit, the better.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:30 AM

139 posts, read 135,315 times
Thanks! @LovinDecatur I think my husband and I will actually need to go visit these places so we can check them out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or