U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:29 AM

22 posts, read 14,212 times

Advertisements

In terms of school district, price, neighborhood amenities, potential for home value appreciation, etc...I would recommend Alpharetta. They have several homes available in the $300k - $350k range. I have a client going to look at one tomorrow for $309k. I moved to Midtown last year from Alpharetta and can say the demographic is becoming more diverse. Plus, Jon Ossof (democrat) took the majority of the vote this week in the senate race. This alone tells you the area has changed. That district has been represented by a republican for almost 40 years. Went off on a tangent but just wanted elaborate lol.

Cascade area has two sides...one side of the interstate is okay...the other side...not so much. The nice side has lovely single family homes...heck Kandi Buruss and Creflo Dollar live in that area. The downside to that are is the school district. It's not so hot. I have family in that area and one sent their kids to a charter school in Sandy Springs and the other one rented an apartment in midtown to have a different address in another school district. But, you mentioned not having kids at the moment so think of it like this...a house is an investment. Look for something that has good ability to appreciate over the next few years so that if you decide to sell, you leave with a profit and a nice down payment for the next home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 01:40 AM

22 posts, read 14,212 times
Taxes are low but I personally wouldn't buy anything there. There are just too many other areas that are within your budget that may be a better investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquestar06 View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. How do you guys feel about 30034? I had a friend that grew up there and said she and her family enjoyed it.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:12 AM

139 posts, read 135,315 times
Thanks @idomortageloans What areas are within budget that you think I should be taking a look at?

Old 04-25-2017, 01:56 AM

305 posts, read 197,247 times
I'd have to second idomortgageloans for Alpharetta.

I lived here about 3 years ago, and sorely regret not buying back then. Living here now, it blows my mind at all that's going on in growth.

It works especially well if you work in IT

Old 04-25-2017, 07:05 AM

Thanks! @stormhammer Alpharetta would be too far of commute for us. It would be about an hour each way. We are trying to cut down our Smyrna commute which is about 35-40 minutes with traffic.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:12 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,547,781 times
Quote:
Thanks! @stormhammer Alpharetta would be too far of commute for us. It would be about an hour each way. We are trying to cut down our Smyrna commute which is about 35-40 minutes with traffic.
35-40 minutes with traffic is considered to be a relatively very short and painless commute by Atlanta standards.

There are a lot of people in this town that would kill for a commute that short.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:17 PM

@born2roll yes i understand Atlanta area residents for the most part have long commutes. I know my Smyrna commute is not terrible, but if there is something closer that would be a good investment I'm open to it. That's why I'm open to hearing about Decatur, which would shave off some time or the Riverside/Bolton area that seems to have a plans for a lot of positive change in the future. I'm just not sure if either area is worth the gamble or if its better to stick where I am and have a smaller home.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:43 PM

Question! How is Historic College Park different from College Park? Is Historic College Park supposed to be safer and a more viable place to live? I see that it is close to Woodward Academy and there are some very expensive homes in the area all the way down to reasonable around 300k. Anybody familiar?

Old 04-28-2017, 01:54 AM

6,180 posts, read 5,547,781 times
Quote:
Question! How is Historic College Park different from College Park? Is Historic College Park supposed to be safer and a more viable place to live? I see that it is close to Woodward Academy and there are some very expensive homes in the area all the way down to reasonable around 300k. Anybody familiar?
Historic College Park is a relatively smaller area in and around Downtown College Park within the corporate limits for the incorporated City of College Park and within the 30337 zip code.

Though it definitely is not without its problems and crime definitely is not uncommon in the area, for an urban community, the historic part of College Park is relatively safe.

The area with a College Park mailing address as a whole stretches across most of two zip codes (30337 and 30349) and across parts of two counties (Fulton and Clayton counties) and takes in part of the grounds of the world's busiest airport, William B. Hartsfield-Maynard H. Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

Overall the area with a College Park mailing address can be extremely hit-or-miss in almost every and any regard from very-expensive homes (McMansions and mansions) to part-abandoned aging crime-challenged hole-in-the-wall apartments. It is a predominantly black area but it is an extremely socioeconomically diverse area that sometimes can vary dramatically from block-to-block from noticeably affluent to severely impoverished.

By no means is it a perfect area, but the area has its really good points which are excellent access to the world's busiest airport at Hartsfield-Jackson, an abundant amount of retail and restaurant amenities led by the large Camp Creek Marketplace retail development, and some nice urban/close-in inner-suburban/post-suburban neighborhoods with great access to Central Atlanta (Downtown Atlanta, Midtown, Buckhead, etc).

College Park is great for people who like urban/inner-suburban/post-suburban living at/near the core of a very large major metro area/region.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:33 AM

My husband and I are still on the hunt. We are really liking the 30030 area and have seen some listings that aren't bad. @lovinDecatur What are your thoughts on any of these? Good community?

1239 Conway Rd, Decatur, GA 30030 - realtor.com®

956 Ashbury Heights Ct, Decatur, GA 30030 - realtor.com®

1007 Columbia Dr, Decatur, GA 30030 - realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or