Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:10 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if we're getting left behind on this hyperloop thing. Is anybody here working on this?

Hyperloop One Completes Test Track, Exploring U.S. Routes | Fortune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 09:37 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,102 times
If anyone can make it happen it's Elon Musk. Guess there's not an immediate need to have a route through Atlanta.

Last edited by krogerDisco; 04-09-2017 at 09:53 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 09:45 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
I'll say this as an engineer who is very, very pleased with Musk's progress in SpaceX (very happy) and Tesla, and who is looking forward to his efforts with Solar City: I'm not holding my breath on Hyperloop.

In no small part because he's not actually the one working on Hyperloop.

It's not that the tech is impossible, but that the cost to build it, and maintain it, is probably going to be a full magnitude over what the early projections have it, at the least, if not double even that.

With an unproven capacity, and non-finished (and predominantly nonexistant) technology, I'm not waiting. In fact, I think many like to use the hyperloop as an excuse to forego already existent, and proven technologies that would more than serve the nation in the mean time.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:03 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Atlanta to Charlotte or Atlanta to New Orleans should be one of the routes.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta to Charlotte or Atlanta to New Orleans should be one of the routes.
It could be transformative if you could get to cities like that in, say, 20 minutes or so.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:29 AM

139 posts, read 127,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post

With an unproven capacity, and non-finished (and predominantly nonexistant) technology, I'm not waiting. In fact, I think many like to use the hyperloop as an excuse to forego already existent, and proven technologies that would more than serve the nation in the mean time.

Plus how much the prices per ticket would be. Wether it would beat Greyhound deals or not! The clientele they looking for is most likely predictable.

Also, I doubt it would beat the then obsolete Marta system prices either. Should Marta hold on, on expansion? This might be what Cobb County is been waiting for!

Old 04-10-2017, 01:11 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
"come see the famous world of coke!" "the amazing georgia aquarium!" "ride the hyperloop!" yes guys and gals, girls and boys, atlanta's got it all— and now for a low, low price, you too can be part of the action!

pass. are we really at the point where we're asking for vacuum tubes to suck in more white yankees?

Last edited by bryantm3; 04-10-2017 at 01:35 AM..

Old 04-10-2017, 08:09 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm wondering if we're getting left behind on this hyperloop thing. Is anybody here working on this?

Hyperloop One Completes Test Track, Exploring U.S. Routes | Fortune.com
Yeah, we need to start looking at this seriously around Atlanta / Georgia.

I would not bet against Elon Musk (and have actually done quite well betting for him via Tesla stock).

We have mostly been discussing how to "make a faster horse" but we really need to keep any eye on that there are serious changes coming our way in the form of autonomous driving and the Hyperloop.

The hyperloop has a serious potential to disrupt transportation. And Atlanta is a transportation city, we cannot afford to fall behind on the next wave. There is a very good chance those technologies make our existing rail, highway, and airport infrastructure obsolete. And Atlanta will suffer if we don't have equivalent replacements.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
We have mostly been discussing how to "make a faster horse" but we really need to keep any eye on that there are serious changes coming our way in the form of autonomous driving and the Hyperloop.
It almost seems like we've been focusing on extending the horse trails rather than making a faster horse or looking at different technologies.

That's one reason I have grave reservations about spending 98% of our tax increase on streetcars and the like. That's our one shot at transportation for at least a few generations. We are maxed out on taxes and unless the business community decides to participate there won't be any more money.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:30 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's one reason I have grave reservations about spending 98% of our tax increase on streetcars and the like. That's our one shot at transportation for at least a few generations. We are maxed out on taxes and unless the business community decides to participate there won't be any more money.
Yep, I am fine leaving it up to the business community. Transit used to be mostly operated and funded by private business. We just got to give them a fair shake. Private transit companies can't compete with the massive tax subsidies going to the "horse trails" / roads. That will harm hyperloop plans too. Everyone is not going to be able to drive to Hyperloop stations. They are going to need to be in walkable / connected areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta