Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 838 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the process of purchasing a home in the Oakland City area. Don't know much about the area but have noticed that it has some sketchy looking area and some ok ones. Does anyone know if Oakland City is a safe place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 03:29 PM

290 posts, read 311,195 times
No offense, but you know you don't make sense?

Old 04-12-2017, 03:44 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,306,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
No offense, but you know you don't make sense?
OP makes perfect sense. Were you responding to a deleted post?

Old 04-13-2017, 04:06 PM

2,434 posts, read 3,831,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damoore03 View Post
I'm currently in the process of purchasing a home in the Oakland City area. Don't know much about the area but have noticed that it has some sketchy looking area and some ok ones. Does anyone know if Oakland City is a safe place to live?
In that part of town, it seems there are three tiers:

1. West End, Adair Park, and Westview would be the best bets IMO.
2. Followed by Oakland City, Capital View and Capitol View Manor.
3. The third tier would probably be Sylvan Hills, Venetian Hills, and maybe Pittsburgh

With that said, I believe all these neighborhoods are on the rise (some slower or faster than others). I think buying a home in Oakland City would be a good investment, but there is some risk, and it all just depends on how much riff-raff you want to deal with as the neighborhood develops.

The top tier SW beltline neighborhoods would probably be my first choice. But if you find a great home that you love in Oakland City, it wouldn't hurt to get it and start making it the neighborhood that you want to see. Join this group and voice your concerns there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/103281316678992/

You may also want to consider Ashview Heights or Washington Park

Old 04-13-2017, 07:10 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,349,127 times
My mother grew up in Oakland City in the 1950's- 1960's. 1177 Avon Avenue (used to be a large, lovely Victorian style house with a big porch and shade trees on a double lot that went back to Arlington Avenue) It was torn down several years ago to make room for more parking at the former Oakland City Baptist Church next door (now owned by a congregation called Cathedral of something or another) There are many lovely turn of the last century homes on that stretch of Avon Avenue on the eastern end near Lee Street (even "Medea's house" a few doors west of my mother's old home place. ) Most of the houses on the side streets, including Arlington Avenue, have smaller more vintage homes rather than true "historic homes". I know that Oakland City used to be quite a nice little enclave a half century ago, I do hope it can again reach its full potential. Good luck with your new home.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:53 PM

290 posts, read 311,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
OP makes perfect sense. Were you responding to a deleted post?
How does it make sense for me to say I have purchased a home in a neighborhood with my hard earned money and then come on City Data and ask people what do you think about the area that I have already purchased a home in? Most people ask the questions before they decide to buy, that is what keeps City Data going

Old 04-13-2017, 10:44 PM

139 posts, read 126,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
How does it make sense for me to say I have purchased a home in a neighborhood with my hard earned money and then come on City Data and ask people what do you think about the area that I have already purchased a home in? Most people ask the questions before they decide to buy, that is what keeps City Data going
His question is legit,is you who doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: