Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 06:18 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,339,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Somebody probably died in a car wreck since this thread was created an hour ago. Nothing is perfectly 100% safe, but MARTA is very, very safe. Transit in general is safe, and MARTA is even the safest in the world of transit.
How many murders is it now recently? 5? That isn't safe. At all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 06:22 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,123,447 times
Please note that it was the West LAKE not West End Marta Station.

These are two totally different stops it seems, in different areas.

The West END Marta station is near Lee street. The West LAKE Marta station is much further west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Exactly.

I found this really interesting....

When I heard four people were shot at the West End MARTA station, I immediately figured it was just some thug or domestic dispute.

In many other places if you heard the same thing, your first thought might be that it's a terrorist attack. The thought of terrorism never even crossed my mind for this one.

Still, pretty sad, especially considering how many more people are riding MARTA than usual right now (though, probably not on this line).

Old 04-13-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Take a look at this link and then find me some crime stats on MARTA that look nearly this dire -

Georgia Crashes, Injuries & Fatalities Statistics - Georgia Crashes, Injuries & Fatalities Statistics | Georgia Governor's Office of Highway Safety
Those are accidents. Not purposeful malicious killings. Do you not understand the difference between the two? Not close to being the same.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:38 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,663,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Those are accidents. Not purposeful malicious killings. Do you not understand the difference between the two? Not close to being the same.
And yet, people end up dead all the same. Far more often, though, on the roads.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
And yet, people end up dead all the same. Far more often, though, on the roads.
tell that to the family that lost someone today because of a murder at a MARTA station. They aren't going to agree with you. You are essentially saying murders at a MARTA station don't matter because it is 'safe'. Well recent history tells us MARTA is far from safe. This is becoming a disturbing trend within the last year.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:54 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,983,276 times
There's also a big difference in perception.

Like how many people drive to the beach then refuse to swim in the ocean because of sharks? Even though you're like 100 million times more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the beach than you are to get bitten by a shark (yet, still, people DO get bitten by them).

And how likely are you to die in an airplane crash? Not likely, but there are still plenty of people who refuse to step foot in one.

I think a lot of it has to do with control. If a crazy person pulls out a gun and starts shooting, you're screwed. Same thing if a shark bites you or an airplane goes down. I think driving feels safer than it is because you have control of the vehicle...so even if an accident is about to happen, it just FEELS like a skilled driver can avoid it or minimize the damage. Even though we know that's not true, people are more comfortable taking risks where they have the perception of control.

And I think that perception impacts the experience. For example, I was recently TOTALLY squeezed into a subway in Tokyo (surprised that the famous "shovers" didn't have to push us in). As I was standing there, totally squished holding onto the hoop above unable to even move my hand down, I thought, "If this was MARTA, my wallet would be gone by now...but this is Japan."

Is it true? If you were disabled and someone could get in and snag your wallet on MARTA, would they? Probably not, but it often feels like they would. Contrast that with Tokyo's subway, where you just know that nobody would do that. It feels as safe as it actually is.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:05 PM

643 posts, read 567,874 times
MARTA gonna MARTA.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:08 PM

72,831 posts, read 62,191,020 times
Quote:
Recent events tell us MARTA isn't safe.
Patterns also show that pretty much every street called MLK has high levels of violent crime. Ironic considering who the street is named for. And this pattern of violence isn't' limited to that part of Atlanta. Why aren't we hearing about MARTA shootings in other parts of the MARTA rail system? Why the far west of Atlanta?

Old 04-13-2017, 07:19 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,565,749 times
Quote:
How many murders is it now recently? 5? That isn't safe. At all.
Think about all the people who get mowed down at gas stations and convenience stores. Does that mean gas stations and convenience stores are unsafe?

Old 04-13-2017, 07:32 PM

290 posts, read 310,336 times
Quote:
tell that to the family that lost someone today because of a murder at a MARTA station. They aren't going to agree with you. You are essentially saying murders at a MARTA station don't matter because it is 'safe'. Well recent history tells us MARTA is far from safe. This is becoming a disturbing trend within the last year.
I agree and while you are at it tell the family of the young Asian attorney and the woman who had her throat slashed recently that Midtown is safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta