U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2017, 05:32 PM
 
44 posts, read 148,616 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about the subdivision Woodland Preserve, that is being built/about to be built on Woodland Brook Drive in Vinings, GA?

It seems to be getting primed for construction, but there doesn't seem to be much information that is easily accessible.

Onyxhawk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2017, 11:30 PM
 
91 posts, read 116,881 times
Reputation: 141
There is no city officially name "Vinings, Ga". It's an area (like Buckhead). In the 90's, it was inside 285 and mainly near Paces Ferry and Paces Mill that was part in Cobb and part in Fulton.

But somehow, the real estate crowd caught wind of the prestige and started naming subdivisions nowhere near Vinings using that name. Now it seems a lot of Smyrna is now Vinings.

I think I passed that site a couple of weeks ago. And if it is the John Weiland subdivision, then that's technically in Atlanta proper, with a 30339 zip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2017, 12:23 AM
 
13,144 posts, read 21,438,947 times
Reputation: 4257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyxhawk View Post
Does anyone know anything about the subdivision Woodland Preserve, that is being built/about to be built on Woodland Brook Drive in Vinings, GA?

It seems to be getting primed for construction, but there doesn't seem to be much information that is easily accessible.

Onyxhawk


Woodland Preserve | New Homes Vinings Atlanta GA | John Wieland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2017, 12:32 AM
 
262 posts, read 333,972 times
Reputation: 160
Vinings, GA might not be a city, but it is a recognized area. If you address mail Vinings, GA, the post office will deliver it.

Default City Name in ZIP Code™ 30339
Please use the default city whenever possible.
ATLANTA GA

Other city names recognized for addresses in 30339
SANDY SPGS GA
SANDY SPRINGS GA
VININGS GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2017, 05:52 AM
 
2,346 posts, read 3,636,131 times
Reputation: 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfromJAX View Post
There is no city officially name "Vinings, Ga". It's an area (like Buckhead). In the 90's, it was inside 285 and mainly near Paces Ferry and Paces Mill that was part in Cobb and part in Fulton.

But somehow, the real estate crowd caught wind of the prestige and started naming subdivisions nowhere near Vinings using that name. Now it seems a lot of Smyrna is now Vinings.

I think I passed that site a couple of weeks ago. And if it is the John Weiland subdivision, then that's technically in Atlanta proper, with a 30339 zip.
Vinings is not in Atlanta proper - it has an Atlanta mailing address which is not the same thing.

Vinings is an unincorporated area of Cobb County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2017, 08:15 AM
 
10,185 posts, read 7,186,770 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanista View Post
If you address mail Vinings, GA, the post office will deliver it.
I am not sure that is a good metric to go with. You can write "Splitsville, USA" for the city / state on a letter and if the zip code and everything else is correct it will make it. But yeah, I understand places with unofficial names. But the only way for an area to really pick up an official name and a clear boundary is to incorporate like Sandy Springs did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2017, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Vinings
6,127 posts, read 3,149,222 times
Reputation: 3309
Vinings is a 'census-designated place', like Mableton (and like Tucker was until recently), but not all of 30339, just a section in the middle of it.

Still unincorporated, but that's why the post office allows 'Vinings' as an optional address, because it is considered a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2017, 09:52 AM
 
10,185 posts, read 7,186,770 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Still unincorporated, but that's why the post office allows 'Vinings' as an optional address, because it is considered a place.
The post office "allows" anything as an "optional address".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2017, 11:09 AM
 
44 posts, read 148,616 times
Reputation: 17
Thanks for the link. I saw this, but there isn't much/any information on the website about the subdivision.

*****
Thanks for the responses.

And the information about Vinings is definitely interesting, though straying from the original question.

- Anyone have any additional information about the possible subdivision?
- Additional question: So do homes in the "Vinings area" / 30339 pay Atlanta taxes or Cobb County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2017, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Downtown Marietta
1,079 posts, read 725,150 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyxhawk View Post
Thanks for the link. I saw this, but there isn't much/any information on the website about the subdivision.

*****
Thanks for the responses.

And the information about Vinings is definitely interesting, though straying from the original question.

- Anyone have any additional information about the possible subdivision?
- Additional question: So do homes in the "Vinings area" / 30339 pay Atlanta taxes or Cobb County?
Considering that Wieland just built (and quickly sold out of) some really beautiful townhomes (The Gates at Ivy Walk) nearby, on Atlanta Road just outside 285, priced in the high 600s to low 800s, these are probably going to be townhomes as well. Woodland Brook is arguably a more desirable location than The Gates at Ivy Walk, and it's highly unlikely that Wieland would build and sell any single family homes in "true Vinings" for less than $1M these days. If they are indeed townhomes, though, and if they're similar to those at The Gates at Ivy Walk, they'll be really nice, with wel over 3000 SF, "sky terraces" on the top floor, options for elevators, etc. I toured the model at The Gates at Ivy Walk and while I don't like that specific location right on Atlanta Road and next to the new Wellstar medical park, the general location is excellent and the homes themselves are very, very nice.

The one downside of the Woodland Brook location that interests you is its proximity to the railroad tracks. That crossing was silenced 8-10 years ago, so there's no longer any train horn, but you'd certainly still hear the rolling stock within a few blocks of the tracks, and of course the crossing could impede access for a few minutes from time to time. That line is one of the busiest in the entire southeast. That hasn't impeded the development of some really fantastic neighborhoods nearby, from Vinings, to Smyrna, to Marietta and beyond, but you should be aware of it all the same.

As to taxes: all 30339 properties within Cobb County (generally west of the Chattahoochee in this area), including this subdivision, pay Cobb County property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top