Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure attendance numbers are the most critical aspect of a team's financial success.

The Braves, like other MLB teams, are making plenty of money on TV and radio, naming rights, revenue sharing, parking lots, real estate, etc.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza.../#2561d68d2451

Old 04-19-2017, 10:24 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
I need to update the title. With tonight's attendance of 22,101 factored in, the average attendance at STP is now below 9 of 20 years and the overall attendance average at Turner.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:17 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
jsvh is hilarious

The Braves only played a few games at the stadium, Attendance is actually higher than last season, Braves aren't as hot as they was in the 90's and 2000's but jsvh already trying to compare to 20 years at Turner, bruh this is hilarious the thread is screaming desperation to hate.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:59 AM

643 posts, read 571,485 times
So much butthurt.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 AM

1,057 posts, read 867,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
jsvh is hilarious

The Braves only played a few games at the stadium, Attendance is actually higher than last season, Braves aren't as hot as they was in the 90's and 2000's but jsvh already trying to compare to 20 years at Turner, bruh this is hilarious the thread is screaming desperation to hate.

Thank goodness for the newness factor. Otherwise, the braves might actually be drawing less fans. The braves thought they would draw 3 million fans this year, or 37k per game. I mean they showed us that heat map lol

Old 04-20-2017, 06:10 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Well Soccer certainly seems to be catching on in popularity and selling out all their games so far and our new football / soccer stadium is as big as ever. The Phillips Arena should end up with more seats after they remove the "suite wall". So I don't think you can generalize to all sports.

I just looked up Red Sox, Yankees, and Cubs unlike the Braves attendance numbers all have been their highest since 2000, with the Cubs peaking in the last few years (of course). So it is not even Baseball.

The "problem" seems to be the Braves. Especially since they announced this move.
Well, other than having a more competitive product, those teams are more of institutions than the Braves ever were--with a larger wealthier, more loyal and established fan base. And, really the location, with no rail access, and no surrounding amenities never helped things. Add to that, the Braves are no longer on the "Super Station" and the announcers that everyone knew are dead, it just isn't the same.
I miss the Braves. I wanted them to stay. But, I understand them moving. Things weren't working in their old location, and Cobb made them a very good offer.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I guess the Braves dont care since they bring in more money outside of the games at Battery Park
Correction, Liberty Media doesn't care as the team is a means to bring revenue to their real estate holding.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Exactly, on both counts.

This is the Netflix and online games generation for kids. And for Dads it's the 60" high definition digital lifelike experience in your damn living room era.

When I was 10, all I cared about was the Braves, and I played outside everyday pretending it was the World Series. But if I was 10 years old this year, in this day and age with all this technology and internet and social connectivity around and smart phones and constant stimulation and incredible entertainment, plus with the Braves being so mediocre and forgettable anyway, I don't even think I'd be aware of them, let alone a fan.

Football continues to do pretty well. But sports in general kind of had its hey day in the 20th century.
Anymore going to the games are not about the game. There is too much other 'amenities' that drive up the costs of tickets. When I go to a game, I just want to sit and watch the game. Be in the atmosphere with other fans.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:23 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

But sports in general kind of had its hey day in the 20th century.
I would love to believe this, but my experience paints a different picture. I can't go anywhere without overhearing an in-depth conversation about the tiniest detail of whatever the latest sports event was, or whoever the up and coming athletes are, or how a given "bracket" is doing, or what's going on in the fantasy football league. Sports receives far more analysis than any subject that has ever existed, whether it's via the countless TV stations and other media devoted to sports, or in person discussion. I don't see interest it sports waning, by any measure.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
How is this helping them "hold on to" as many fans a possible if they end up with less attendance then before they announced this move? Why **** off all your intown fans showing distorted maps portraying that most of your fan base lives outside the city?
Why indeed. When I first saw the maps, I knew exactly what the response would be, and deservedly so. I used to go to games at a moment's notice, based on where I live, but they seem to want built in revenue from fans buying tickets to an 80+ home schedule, plus parking, IN ADVANCE. Oh, and at a location that's even harder to get to. And after they wrote off most of the metro with their "our fans live over here" comments. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta