Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 12:31 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times

Advertisements

Atlanta has never a big baseball town, more room for me and easier to get tickets since I have yet to visit the new park.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:36 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Atlanta has never a big baseball town, more room for me and easier to get tickets since I have yet to visit the new park.
Not true. The Braves were in the top 3 most popular team in the country from 1991 until they announced the move out of the city in 2013. Much of the 90s they spent as the #1 most popular team in the country.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...-mlb-team.html

Old 05-08-2017, 12:41 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
They were long very popular regionally and nationally (due to their success and due to TBS, and due to there being no other baseball teams in the South), but it's true that Atlanta itself and this metro is a bad sports city. Because of the transplants, non-close-knit community, etc. Just the nature of Atlanta, as opposed to Boston or whatever.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Not true. The Braves were in the top 3 most popular team in the country from 1991 until they announced the move out of the city in 2013. Much of the 90s they spent as the #1 most popular team in the country.

They could not even sell out playoff games come on man.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
They were long very popular regionally and nationally (due to their success and due to TBS, and due to there being no other baseball teams in the South), but it's true that Atlanta itself and this metro is a bad sports city. Because of the transplants, non-close-knit community, etc. Just the nature of Atlanta, as opposed to Boston or whatever.
South will always be college football 24/7/365 and then every other sport has a nice following. Personally I like that the Braves games do not sell out, I like a laid back atmosphere that you cannot get in Chicago or Boston.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:15 PM

304 posts, read 325,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
They suck, Bigly!!! But they're not that bad. To win just 50 games in an MLB season is like epic levels of trash.
Only a handful of teams have even reached that low mark in the modern era. This team is awful though, it's hilarious seeing all the pleas copped and excuses given to team management on the bad moves they've made and continue to still make. Like why in the world Snitker is the skipper when you have a coach on staff with experience in successfully rebuilding and taking teams to the WS in Ron Washington. And why in the world is Dansby Swanson playing SS? He can't field a ground ball correctly to save his life!!!! He already can't hit, but usually SS aren't the best offensively, so I'd be cool with it if he at least had some defensive prowess. Smh. This team is hot garbage and no one wants to admit they made a mistake from the top to the bottom.
Swanson has been a huge disappointment, but he can't hit off-speed pitches and that has been mentioned by a couple sports websites as the reason he is struggling at the plate. And yes his defense is terrible. Basically you have Freeman and a passes his prime Kemp, who is so far holding his own. After that there is not much. But it's really the pitching that is the more longterm issue. Really sad to think the Braves built a legacy in the 90's on great pitching, and now they can't seem to find a half decent prospect to save their lives. Even Tehran, their ace, is starting to get hit hard more times than not. The team really needs a spark to get the fanbase excited again. Maybe a big trade or huge draft can do it. I dunno.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:12 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

In the 90s they were winning the division year after year and being broadcast nationally.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
In the 90s they were winning the division year after year and being broadcast nationally.
Yep. They had much better leadership then.

Ted Turner: ‘I wouldn’t have moved the Braves to Cobb County’

Old 05-08-2017, 06:22 PM

356 posts, read 316,929 times
Having the national broadcasts on TBS until '07 was huge for their popularity. Pretty amazing they managed to be one of America's favorite teams but couldn't sell out all their playoff games!

LOL at Ted Turner being a little hurt that the stadium named after him is being torn down. You don't say? It is indeed too bad they didn't find a spot downtown, but man chill out with the trying too hard to hate on them stuff. And do you really think 3mm fans was their real goal? C'mon, that's marketing posturing for the media and fans.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
And do you really think 3mm fans was their real goal? C'mon, that's marketing posturing for the media and fans.
I mean, they had over 3 Million their first four years at Turner. Of course, they had an owner that was investing in the team too, not just milking it for tax credits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta