Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:34 PM

258 posts, read 604,288 times

Advertisements

I searched the forum, and I've seen a few topics on this from 3+ years ago, so I decided to repost to get some more up to date feedback....

My water bill is wildly inconsistent, and the patterns lead me to believe that Atlanta is not even truly tracking my usage. For example, my past 3 months in my 2,400 sq ft house were $88 exactly for each of the 3 months. Then, suddenly, this month's bill was $230, and they are claiming more than double the usage, (5,000 gallons more), than last month. Our habits have not changed at all, or nearly enough to cause this much of a change. We do not have any leaks and we never left a hose, sink, etc. running for any extended period of time.

There are several reasons that tell me this is BS:

a) This happens to me twice a year or so, in the exact same way. I will get billed similar amounts for 3-6 months, and then WHAM, a huge bill more than double the average. I have never changed anything habit or leak wise, and it generally goes back down to normal the following month.

b) This happens to dozens of people in my neighborhood, and generally in the same month. (I've already talked to 4 other people today and the exact same thing has happened to them.

c) The fact that I go months at a time with an identical water bill tells me they aren't truly tracking usage.

Has anyone else experienced this, and have an idea of what caused it? Considering Atlanta Watershed is a legalized monopoly, I'm guessing I have no recourse here? I've called to dispute several times, and I just get "touch sh**, pay your bill or we'll cut off your water."

Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 03:42 PM

225 posts, read 277,876 times
Is there a letter 'E' following either your "Prior Meter Read" or "Current Meter Read" numbers on your bill? If so, this means they estimated usage because they could not get a reading, and your meter is likely broken.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:19 PM

258 posts, read 604,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space cadet View Post
Is there a letter 'E' following either your "Prior Meter Read" or "Current Meter Read" numbers on your bill? If so, this means they estimated usage because they could not get a reading, and your meter is likely broken.
No there is no letter E. It says "actual reading". That said, how does this explain my entire neighborhood getting hit with supposedly double water usage, all in the same month? It seems unlikely that all 300 houses had a toilet leak or left a hose on in the same month.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:43 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,124 times
They round your actual usage to whole CCF numbers, which is why it's possible to go months in a row with bills that match to the penny.

The random high bills I've got no explanation for.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 AM

225 posts, read 277,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjedwards409 View Post
No there is no letter E. It says "actual reading". That said, how does this explain my entire neighborhood getting hit with supposedly double water usage, all in the same month? It seems unlikely that all 300 houses had a toilet leak or left a hose on in the same month.
Yeah, no idea on cause of that. If I were you, I would talk to all of your neighbors and convince them to contact your City Council representative en masse. If all of you contact him/her, it will make an impression and perhaps get some answers.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:35 PM

198 posts, read 153,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
The random high bills I've got no explanation for.

Someone has to make up for the mayor's (and last mayor's) unpaid bills.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:58 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
This is a chronic Atlanta problem.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:33 PM

821 posts, read 726,173 times
My water bill has been the same for three straight months, to the penny. It's a little odd. Has anyone seen this before?

Old 11-23-2018, 06:40 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I'm always curious about local water rates. By me it's about 1.2 cents per gallon. So for 5000 gallons that would be $60 plus customer charge.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:41 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
I had a similar problem with last month's bill. My bill was $358 compared to the average of around $60 a month. I have NWP since I live in Sandy Springs and not the city of Atlanta. I called the company and they opened up up a case, and I had a plumber check for leaks and found none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta