U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 10:27 AM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Don't forget, the rail line will remain. If Hulsey goes, you'll only be gaining about 300 feet of space. Better? Maybe, but hardly the same as completely abandoning the area.
Haven't forgotten, and MARTA would certainly remain, but of what use would the tracks be to CSX if their terminal ceases to exist?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 10:30 AM

25 posts, read 14,325 times
I live at the Stacks, and my unit overlooks the yard. I actually really like the view, and I've always been nervous that they'd redevelop it into something ugly or something that would ruin the view I have. I would hope there would be a lot of community involvement, and we'd see a lot of greenspace, retail, dining, and low-mid rise residential. All that development next to the BeltLine could be really positive for the neighborhood though. I won't get ahead of myself, but if this happens, I really hope there are some creative and aesthetically pleasing uses of that space.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:32 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
CSX has already confirmed that Tilford will close. That is very much in line with the comments in the article you posted about moving away from using hump yards.

Hulsey occupies a good amount of prime real estate, but it's not like development there instantly reconnects the north and south sides. There are still MARTA tracks, and you'd assume CSX would continue using the remaining trackage. So yes, big development potential and maybe reduced headaches for beltline transit, but it's not like it'd restore connections everywhere.
BeltLine transit would still need a new tunnel under Georgia Railroad tracks. Krog is too narrow and too short.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM

2,070 posts, read 1,998,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Haven't forgotten, and MARTA would certainly remain, but of what use would the tracks be to CSX if their terminal ceases to exist?
The point is to have longer trains and higher speeds for reduced costs. You still need tracks for those longer, faster trains to actually get anywhere.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:35 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Quote:
Those tracks go to Stone Mountain and east, They have been in operation since Antebellum times. Here is a pic of the Georgia Railroad:

Old 04-21-2017, 10:36 AM

4,908 posts, read 3,705,971 times
Quote:
Hulsey isn't the only thing on that line. There are still 22 rail-served industries between Atlanta and Augusta as well as 3-4 through trains per week, primarily coal and rock. Additionally, CSX trains coming from the Athens line can use the Parkline to Kirkwood, and the line through Hulsey to get around the delays around Howell Junction to proceed south. The trains won't cease to exist, they'll just change where they finally end up.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,106,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlondoner View Post
hulsey could be turned into the mother of all mattress firms
moamf!!!

Old 04-21-2017, 12:04 PM

5,401 posts, read 2,727,833 times
So, I agree with the general consensus that converting these properties into dense, transit-oriented developments would be great uses for them.

I would also like to suggest converting a portion of the space for transit use in general. That is, if we're to have a comprehensive commuter rail and intercity rail network, then we need yard-space for maintenance, storage, etc.

Why not use these rail yards as, well, rail yards? Maybe cut them in half, add in Armor yard to the mix, and use them to operate services form MARTA, GRTA, and GDOT in shared facilities?

Old 04-21-2017, 12:12 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,705,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
So, I agree with the general consensus that converting these properties into dense, transit-oriented developments would be great uses for them.

I would also like to suggest converting a portion of the space for transit use in general. That is, if we're to have a comprehensive commuter rail and intercity rail network, then we need yard-space for maintenance, storage, etc.

Why not use these rail yards as, well, rail yards? Maybe cut them in half, add in Armor yard to the mix, and use them to operate services form MARTA, GRTA, and GDOT in shared facilities?
Unless they complete botch the design of the MMPT (which I don't put past GDOT, et al.) there is more than enough space in the gulch for a layover and maintenance yard.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:28 PM

5,401 posts, read 2,727,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Unless they complete botch the design of the MMPT (which I don't put past GDOT, et al.) there is more than enough space in the gulch for a layover and maintenance yard.
I was thinking more than that, though. Especially if we have frequent services in the MARTA service areas where there won't be lay overs, but large fleets will be needed.

As you said, the Gulch makes sense for a lay-over yard and maintenance for the laid-over trains, but what about all the other ones? What about the frequent commuter rail trains? What about the back-up trains? What about all the standard commuter rail, and intercity trains that end their trips in Atlanta? I don't know how much room would be needed, operationally speaking, for all three agencies to have storage and maintenance space as needed, but I have a hunch that it's more than the Gulch can offer on its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta