Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 10:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
This is what I would like to see. If, and I know it's a big if, CSX goes through with permanently shutting down Tilford, I think it's an opportunity to grab up a piece of existing rail infrastructure to use for future commuter, and intercity rail.

There's more than enough room, and if we add Armor and a potential HSR service facility down by the Airport as GDOT is planning to the mix, we'd be well and set for most of our needs for a LONG time.
That does nothing to solve the issue of the Howell Wye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 10:53 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That does nothing to solve the issue of the Howell Wye
I didn't suggest it did.

I've said quite a few times around here that we need to get a combined effort between GDOT, MARTA, the FRA, NS, and CSX to all pool money for a unified effort to rebuild Howell Wye and area.

A solid streamlining with some effort set up to build dedicated cross-overs / unders for passenger rail would go a long way towards helping fix things.

Same should probably happen to the Gulch's interchanges as well.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:55 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times
The basic nature of rail freight operation has changed considerably since Inman yard was developed over half a century ago, and it will continue to change. As late as the early seventies, a considerable amount of high-value merchandise traffic moved in separable boxcars, often sent to a distribution warehouse in a major city, from which regional deliveries could be coordinated and orders adjusted.

That began to change when the freight industry adopted standard container sizes and uniform equipment which considerably reduced loss and damage, but concentrated that traffic on a smaller, but more-heavily-used routes and markets, The decline of general-service freight can be most readily demonstrated by the appearance of the boxcar fleet, which used to be brightly painted and held by "small railroads" (actually leasing companies) that of us probably never heard of. Most of the cars are still around, but they look a lot grungier, and carry mostly low-value commodities that don't have to be expedited through high-tech classification yards,

The late E. Hunter Harrison, former CEO of CSX, was a strong advocate of the "larger, longer, heavier, slower, and fewer' concept of service for low-rated, low-revenue, non-containerized freight, and in honesty, this concept seems to predominate in the contemporary rail industry. The basic nature, and capital-intensity of the service (which, unlike the industry which characterized the 50's-70s, still delivers a profit consistent enough to justify private operation and ward off political pressures for more intense regulatory oversight and possible eventual nationalization) seems likely to continue unless new opportunities for a more entrepreneurial approach develop -- something that's less likely when the industry is dominated by seven major players and innovation is viewed as risky.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-28-2017 at 05:05 AM..

Old 01-18-2018, 10:48 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,523,294 times
And I now just read from a usually reliable resource that Hulsey is going to be sold
CSX is cutting off their nose to spite their face it seems, but I'm sure some of y'all will just be jumping with joy.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:01 AM

821 posts, read 725,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
And I now just read from a usually reliable resource that Hulsey is going to be sold
CSX is cutting off their nose to spite their face it seems, but I'm sure some of y'all will just be jumping with joy.
Any word on Inman?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:10 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
That's huge news. Curious what the timeline would be. Guessing Beltline transit will end up staying in the corridor after all!

Old 01-18-2018, 11:23 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,523,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Any word on Inman?
Inman is Norfolk Southern, not CSX, and is showing no signs of going anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
That's huge news. Curious what the timeline would be. Guessing Beltline transit will end up staying in the corridor after all!
Not necessarily. The yard may go, but the mainline tracks will stay.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:35 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
Quote:

True, but going under 2-4 tracks is a lot easier that tearing up that yard. If this happens, it's a huge roadblock (railblock?)removed.

Another thought, what will come of the Krog St tunnel? I'm hoping they keep it and build whatever development replaces the yard over the tunnel

Old 01-18-2018, 12:46 PM

821 posts, read 725,996 times
Quote:
Inman is Norfolk Southern, not CSX, and is showing no signs of going anywhere.

Sorry, I meant Tilford. You mentioned with the CEO passing, they could change their mind and re-open it.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:49 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
I think I got out of Cabbagetown just in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta