Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:18 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,354,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I suppose a poorly chosen location for a 12-month lease isn't the end of the world, but when one has a healthy amount of disposable income then it can be difficult to avoid the temptation of throwing extra money at a problem instead of investing extra time & effort. Rents and housing prices in Atlanta are at a multi-year high. While they still aren't at DC's real estate levels, Atlanta doesn't have the density of other major cities, so you may find yourself looking at a larger geographic area for whatever combination of amenities, and lifestyle you end up choosing.

I alluded to this in my earlier post. Many people would find a house or condo in the Poncey Highlands, Inman Park, Oakhurst, or half a dozen other areas preferable to a condo/apt in Buckhead.

I spent some of my childhood right outside of DC (Fairfax Co.)... one of Atlanta's advantages over a DC is the comparatively slower pace and lower stress of everyday life. You might very well decide that a deluxe high rise in the sky (cue Jefferson's theme) isn't the best option for ATL living.

I may be biased, though. I'm not in your income bracket, but we are about the same age. There are like half a dozen high rises going up (or that have gone up) in the past few years here. Personally, I'd grab a house with interesting architecture with a garage, yard, located in a good neighborhood with foot traffic, parks, and MARTA nearby... *especially* if I didn't have to worry about kids and school quality.
As someone who used to travel a lot for work, like the OP, it is very undesirable to maintain a house and yard. With a condo, he can walk out, lock the door, and be on his way, with little worry. Leaving a house for six weeks, on the other hand, involves a lot more preparation. And maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 04:32 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's certainly young in my universe.
Ditto

Old 04-25-2017, 05:22 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit_B View Post
I am a bit of a jet-setter in that my job requires 25% travel. I not a big party-goer either. I don't think a 12-month lease is too much of a commitment. If I absolutely hate it I can pack up after a year. Hopefully, I find a building where my home life makes the move worthwhile.

There are a few high-rise condos in Buckhead, (I grew up around Atlanta, left over 30 years ago, but have been back occasionally to visit family) that ought to work for you. I would suggest you be within walking distance of MARTA trains, these go right to the airport. You can't beat that train.

I think you will find the Atlanta area to be a good bit cheaper than DC.

Good luck!

Old 04-25-2017, 05:38 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
If you want to lease a highrise condo with quick access to the airport I'd look at places like the Grand or the Paramount. Basically walk out your door and get on the southbound train. Pretty reasonable pricing, too.

Paramount at Buckhead Condos for rent or for lease and for sale - Atlanta, GA Georgia

Buckhead Grand Condos for rent or for lease and for sale. Atlanta GA

Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 AM

273 posts, read 502,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquestar06 View Post
@Exhibit_B I just moved not to long ago from DC to Atlanta. What part of DC did you like and from that I'll be able to tell what areas would suit you well in Atlanta?
Hey! Thanks for reaching out.

In DC, I like the 14th Street area near Rhode Island up to about V St. I'm not a fan of the super busy areas, but a moderate nightlife with a few lounges and quality restaurants is ideal. If I were purchasing I'd stick to an area like Georgetown, which has quiet back streets but accessible to M St retail stores bars.

The ATL high-rise buildings appear to have better quality finishes than DC apartments of equal size and price (1/1). The Residence Buckhead stood out to me. They seem priced similar to studios or small 1/1's in DC (around the $2200-2600) dollar range.

One thing that I'm noticing about the units I like are the one's largely surrounded by glass windows. My main requirements would be lots of natural light, access to food, shops at my doorstep. Immediate access to MARTA would be a plus, but not a big deal. I'll have a car, and could commute to a train station if needed.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:15 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,406,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit_B View Post
I'll have a car, and could commute to a train station if needed.
Keep in mind not all stations have parking.

Here is a map of which ones do.

https://martaguide.com/rail-station-map/

Old 04-26-2017, 11:23 AM

147 posts, read 215,905 times
@Exhibit_B I do think Buckhead will be a good area for you. Keep in mind that MARTA is vastly different from Metro. In DC I lived across the street from metro and would walk to the train and take it to DCA, so convenient! MARTA is not the same, but I'm hoping Atlanta will see the worth in Marta and spend the energy and money to make it a real transit system for people that have been accustomed to better systems. In my opinion that's one of the major components holding Atlanta back.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:17 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Keep in mind not all stations have parking.

Here is a map of which ones do.

https://martaguide.com/rail-station-map/
If the OP is a road warrior that flies a lot, then my guess is that the advent of Lyft & Uber has made the practice of parking a car at the airport or a MARTA station expensive and inconvenient.... especially at Atlanta Hartsfield where you can hike the better part of a mile from the economy lot to the check in kiosks.

That is what I do, anyway. I don't miss the days of trying to remember exactly where I parked and trudging my luggage around trying to find the car.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquestar06 View Post
@Exhibit_B I do think Buckhead will be a good area for you. Keep in mind that MARTA is vastly different from Metro. In DC I lived across the street from metro and would walk to the train and take it to DCA, so convenient! MARTA is not the same, but I'm hoping Atlanta will see the worth in Marta and spend the energy and money to make it a real transit system for people that have been accustomed to better systems. In my opinion that's one of the major components holding Atlanta back.
I'll bite. How is the MARTA train less convenient to the airport than the metro is to DCA? MARTA spits you out about a 3-4 minute walk from the security gate. With the right credentials (Clear/Precheck/online check-in) you can be at your departure gate within 15 minutes of getting off of the train.

How many mass transit systems in the USA can make the same claim?

Old 04-26-2017, 02:30 PM

Here i go again, breaking with convention. Here is a place for rent that I would opt for over a high-rise.
701 Penn Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30308
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta