U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 08:51 PM

4,941 posts, read 3,989,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Speaking of Muslims and profiling, so I'm going to follow your whole stated logic for a sec, here. So if you and your family are at the airport about to board a plane, and a strangely quiet, bearded middle eastern man, with a briefcase he's clutching and holding tightly, looking all nervous and sweating, is also going to board your plane, it's your opinion that since he's never been in trouble with the law, and we're to be assumed innocent until otherwise, you don't think he should have to go through a metal detector, or have his briefcase checked, or any precautions of that sort? Because not inconveniencing people, is more important than the security and safety, and potentially the lives of your loved ones?

I mean, come on. Surely, there is some kind of possible reasonable balance that we could strike, that would let some people, but not a James Holmes, go up and buy a rifle. A policy that could save lives while also not erasing personal liberty. Certainly that should be possible.
He has to go through the same security that everyone else does, no more and no less. He is entitled to receive no more and no less suspicion from me than any other passenger. Remember this crap?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rican-airlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,902,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Banning guns in the current world does nothing but make people feel safe without providing any real safety.
I bet they're adding just as much danger to any given setting or scenario or in general, as they are safety.

But, it's a moot point, since we can't eliminate the technology. Guns are pretty much here to stay, in the US.

Quote:
When you get people that talk about being terrified at the sight of a gun, or how they get PTSD from shooting a rifle (when they have no background conducive to such), "special little snowflake" is the perfect descriptor.
I don't know who these people are. I'm not scared of the damn things at all. Our policies should be based on rationality towards whatever our overall goals are, and both sides get far too defensive and emotional on this topic. It's actually ridiculous.

Ultimately I don't care what our actual policies are, as long as they're the best we can do when considering and balancing our various worthy goals, and as long the outcome seems rational. "Here you go, weirdo loner paranoid maniac who just lost his job, here's your powerful rifles and your bags of ammo that you said you need for self defense", I can't fathom how that's the most rational outcome or the best way to achieve the society that we should be wanting.

Guns can kill you from hundreds of yards away, with your back turned, in an instant, while you're completely oblivious, and then you're dead. Your life is completely gone forever in the time it took for someone's finger to compress a thin piece of metal. That's why I do not see how guns are defensive, or how adding more of them to a situation is improving my F'ing safety.

Seems like if everyone's walking around the crowded streets with a gun, any one little incident could start a chain reaction, and very quickly dozens of people are dead.

Or, maybe guns are protecting us more than endangering. Maybe they're good for the world, in general. But in that case, I still want intense background checks and long waiting periods.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:19 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,902,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
He has to go through the same security that everyone else does, no more and no less. He is entitled to receive no more and no less suspicion from me than any other passenger. Remember this crap?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rican-airlines
Sam Harris once made some interesting, highly controversial points on that topic:

https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/...e-of-profiling

I'm not sure where exactly I stand on all that.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:35 PM

4,941 posts, read 3,989,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Sam Harris once made some interesting, highly controversial points on that topic:

https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/...e-of-profiling

I'm not sure where exactly I stand on all that.
Not a fan of Sam Harris. His argument is basically the paranoid, "I can look at you and tell whether you might be up to trouble" line that allowed presidents Bush, Obama, and now Trump to roll back civil liberties in the name of "security."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or