U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 08:11 AM

33 posts, read 22,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
And if your husband was working on the Southside, Peachtree City would likely be a very good fit for your family.

But since your husband will be commuting to and from work in Northside areas like Alpharetta, Tucker and North Druid Hills, a Southside outer suburb like Peachtree City should not (and likely cannot) even be a serious thought.

While living in Atlanta, one's best bet will most often always be to attempt to live as close to one's workplace(s) as might be humanly possible.

That's because when the first Armageddon-type traffic gridlock-generating event that you experience here strikes (and trust me, it WILL strike), you probably will be very glad that you chose to live close to your husband's place of work.

You might not necessarily be able to get the perfect community that you may want to live in, but if one can minimize their exposure to Atlanta's often-challenging (sometimes extremely-challenging) rush hour and peak-hour commutes, it is considered a big win by Atlanta standards.

I know that you (very understandably) "want a family-friendly community with fairs, parks, festivals, churches, kid-friendly events". But in Atlanta one of your absolute first priorities should be (and will have to be) living as close to your husband's workplace and/or workplaces as will be humanly possible.

Remember, in Atlanta think live close to work first, then almost everything else second. You absolutely will want to attempt to minimize your husband's exposure to Atlanta's overtaxed arterial road network (including and especially the freeway system) as much as will be humanly possible while searching for a place to live.
Thank you! That is good to know in helping us decide to live. The more we research, the more stressful it becomes. While moving into a rental for a year or so to learn the area and get what we want, but with the company moving us this time, the second move will be out of pocket.

On the map it seems like Roswell makes the most sense in terms in proximity to Alpharetta, Tucker and North Druid Hills, but I don't know that we can find a decent home in our budget of $225k-$250k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 12:29 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,512,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4es View Post
Thank you! That is good to know in helping us decide to live. The more we research, the more stressful it becomes. While moving into a rental for a year or so to learn the area and get what we want, but with the company moving us this time, the second move will be out of pocket.

On the map it seems like Roswell makes the most sense in terms in proximity to Alpharetta, Tucker and North Druid Hills, but I don't know that we can find a decent home in our budget of $225k-$250k.
Roswell provides really good access to Alpharetta but may not always provide as good of access to Tucker and North Druid Hills.

It also will likely be somewhat very challenging (if not extremely challenging) to find a home for under $250k in those areas or anywhere in that quadrant of the Atlanta metro area right now.

That's because the North Metro Atlanta housing and real estate market is on fire right now and has been on fire for about the past 1-2 years.

It is an extremely competitive real estate market on the Northside in which detached single-family homes (even seemingly less-desirable ones) often receive multiple and/or even numerous offers within minutes of hitting the market, particularly if a home may be in an area of exceptional, excellent, good or even just somewhat okay schools.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Finding a detached single-family home that has the size and space you desire and need is likely going to be a challenge in this market. You will need to work with a very good (if not expert) experienced realtor who knows the Northside like the back of their hand and who will be able to help you make quick decisions and guide you through an extremely competitive North metro Atlanta real estate market.

You also might need to make a multi-family home (apartment, condo or townhome) part of your housing plans for longer than you might want and desire. You also potentially might have to be willing to accept a longer commute and/or a home that might be older than you might desire to get into a house with a price that is within or at least near your $250k and under budget.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:50 PM

617 posts, read 412,173 times
Quote:
Thank you! I quickly realized I had to be specific with what Peachtree I was referring to searching for apartments last night, although to be honest I quickly fell in love with what I saw of Peachtree City online.
I think you would love Peachtree City, but as Born to Roll mentioned, the commute from here to the Northside would be brutal. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Roswell provides really good access to Alpharetta but may not always provide as good of access to Tucker and North Druid Hills.

It also will likely be somewhat very challenging (if not extremely challenging) to find a home for under $250k in those areas or anywhere in that quadrant of the Atlanta metro area right now.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Finding a detached single-family home that has the size and space you desire and need is likely going to be a challenge in this market. You will need to work with a very good (if not expert) experienced realtor who knows the Northside like the back of their hand and who will be able to help you make quick decisions and guide you through an extremely competitive North metro Atlanta real estate market.

You also might need to make a multi-family home (apartment, condo or townhome) part of your housing plans for longer than you might want and desire. You also potentially might have to be willing to accept a longer commute and/or a home that might be older than you might desire to get into a house with a price that is within or at least near your $250k and under budget.
This is disheartening, but I appreciate the honesty. Our realtor has shown us homes in this price range in Lawrenceville, Snellville and Stone Mountain, but they all seem like a distance from one or more of the areas. I don't like what's in our price range in Tucker. Even finding a decent place to rent for $1600 in Alpharetta for the first year seems to be challenging.

With traffic, commute times, COL and our budget, I'm now wishing we didn't have to relocate.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:26 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,512,832 times
Quote:
This is disheartening, but I appreciate the honesty. Our realtor has shown us homes in this price range in Lawrenceville, Snellville and Stone Mountain, but they all seem like a distance from one or more of the areas. I don't like what's in our price range in Tucker. Even finding a decent place to rent for $1600 in Alpharetta for the first year seems to be challenging.

With traffic, commute times, COL and our budget, I'm now wishing we didn't have to relocate.
Snellville and Lawrenceville provide relatively good-to-decent access to Tucker and okay access to North Druid Hills but provide for more challenging commutes to and from Alpharetta.

Stone Mountain provides great access (in the form of relatively very short commutes) to and from Tucker, but (with the exception of the relatively small part of the area with a Stone Mountain address in the feeder zone/cluster for Parkview High School on the Gwinnett County side) the quality of the schools may adversely affect resale value, particularly in some areas on the DeKalb County side of Stone Mountain.

If you look in the Snellville and Lawrenceville areas, look in the feeder zones/clusters for Brookwood, Archer and Grayson high schools where your home values are likely to be the highest should have to sell your home in the future.

Also checkout the feeder zone/cluster for Parkview High School in Lilburn (where resale values are likely to remain high in an area of excellent schools that provides really good access to Tucker and good/decent access to North Druid Hills).

Old 05-11-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Snellville and Lawrenceville provide relatively good-to-decent access to Tucker and okay access to North Druid Hills but provide for more challenging commutes to and from Alpharetta.

Stone Mountain provides great access (in the form of relatively very short commutes) to and from Tucker, but (with the exception of the relatively small part of the area with a Stone Mountain address in the feeder zone/cluster for Parkview High School on the Gwinnett County side) the quality of the schools may adversely affect resale value, particularly in some areas on the DeKalb County side of Stone Mountain.

If you look in the Snellville and Lawrenceville areas, look in the feeder zones/clusters for Brookwood, Archer and Grayson high schools where your home values are likely to be the highest should have to sell your home in the future.

Also checkout the feeder zone/cluster for Parkview High School in Lilburn (where resale values are likely to remain high in an area of excellent schools that provides really good access to Tucker and good/decent access to North Druid Hills).
Thank you! I will pass this along to our realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or