U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:42 PM

33 posts, read 18,098 times

Advertisements

Okay so it is official! We are relocating to Atlanta, Georgia in July. We were going to buy but we've decided to rent an apartment for the first year-based on some great advice on here. My husband is going to be working in Alpharetta until summer of next year but will also have to commute to Tucker starting at the end of the year. He'll then work in North Druid Hills for 2 years. I'm not so worried about North Druid Hills, as I imagine that we can find a home to purchase by then. We are trying to figure out the best neighborhood in close proximity to Alpharetta and Tucker.

We are considering Roswell and Sandy Springs, but I am wondering if Marietta or Duluth should also be considered. We want a family-friendly community with fairs, parks, festivals, churches, kid-friendly events. Although we need the space with 4 kids, I think we're going to rent an apartment for the included amenities (playground, fitness, pool, etc.) so that we don't have to worry about maintenance, yard work, etc. We'd like to stay in the $1500-1650 range.

I've had a good input here and figured I'd reach out again. The feedback that I've gotten on here has been invaluable in readjusting what we're looking for and what we can expect to find. So which neighborhood would your recommend? Roswell, Sandy Springs, Marietta or Duluth or somewhere else.

One-off question- is the cost of living in the Atlanta area surrounding area lower than say Orlando? It seems like it is lower in the actual Atlanta area itself but housing in the surrounding areas (i.e. those mentioned above) seems way more expensive than Polk County, Florida. COL calculators give varying amounts, but there has to be adjustment for state taxes. It feels like my husband might need to request a COL raise just to move there. Just asking as we negotiate relocation costs.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 01:22 PM

5,362 posts, read 4,889,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4es View Post
Okay so it is official! We are relocating to Atlanta, Georgia in July. We were going to buy but we've decided to rent an apartment for the first year-based on some great advice on here. My husband is going to be working in Alpharetta until summer of next year but will also have to commute to Tucker starting at the end of the year. He'll then work in North Druid Hills for 2 years. I'm not so worried about North Druid Hills, as I imagine that we can find a home to purchase by then. We are trying to figure out the best neighborhood in close proximity to Alpharetta and Tucker.

We are considering Roswell and Sandy Springs, but I am wondering if Marietta or Duluth should also be considered. We want a family-friendly community with fairs, parks, festivals, churches, kid-friendly events. Although we need the space with 4 kids, I think we're going to rent an apartment for the included amenities (playground, fitness, pool, etc.) so that we don't have to worry about maintenance, yard work, etc. We'd like to stay in the $1500-1650 range.

I've had a good input here and figured I'd reach out again. The feedback that I've gotten on here has been invaluable in readjusting what we're looking for and what we can expect to find. So which neighborhood would your recommend? Roswell, Sandy Springs, Marietta or Duluth or somewhere else.

One-off question- is the cost of living in the Atlanta area surrounding area lower than say Orlando? It seems like it is lower in the actual Atlanta area itself but housing in the surrounding areas (i.e. those mentioned above) seems way more expensive than Polk County, Florida. COL calculators give varying amounts, but there has to be adjustment for state taxes. It feels like my husband might need to request a COL raise just to move there. Just asking as we negotiate relocation costs.

Thanks for your help.
If you are looking for good access to both Alpharetta and Tucker, the best places for you to look would probably be Peachtree Corners 30092 and Norcross 30071 and maybe Chamblee and Duluth.

Roswell and Sandy Springs would provide relatively good access to Alpharetta but not necessarily the best access to Tucker, particularly during morning and afternoon/evening rush hours.

Marietta is a great suburban community with an active historic village-like downtown area with a good amount of racial/ethnic and socioeconomic diversity.

But Marietta would not provide the best access to and from Alpharetta and would often provide for very poor access to and from Tucker on many days.

With Tucker being part of the commuting equation, Marietta unfortunately probably should not be on your list of areas to consider, particularly given the significant difficulties that can often arise while commuting between the western and eastern parts of the metro area during peak traffic hours.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
If you are looking for good access to both Alpharetta and Tucker, the best places for you to look would probably be Peachtree Corners 30092 and Norcross 30071 and maybe Chamblee and Duluth.

Roswell and Sandy Springs would provide relatively good access to Alpharetta but not necessarily the best access to Tucker, particularly during morning and afternoon/evening rush hours.

Marietta is a great suburban community with an active historic village-like downtown area with a good amount of racial/ethnic and socioeconomic diversity.

But Marietta would not provide the best access to and from Alpharetta and would often provide for very poor access to and from Tucker on many days.

With Tucker being part of the commuting equation, Marietta unfortunately probably should not be on your list of areas to consider, particularly given the significant difficulties that can often arise while commuting between the western and eastern parts of the metro area during peak traffic hours.

Thank you so much. This is exactly the information I am looking for. Do you think Roswell or Sandy Springs would provide good access to North Druid hills?

I will check out Peachtree and Norcross.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much. This is exactly the information I am looking for. Do you think Roswell or Sandy Springs would provide good access to North Druid hills?

Sandy Springs might would provide okay/decent/somewhat good access to and from the North Druid Hills area. But with the limited and meandering road network on that side of town (many of the connections between Sandy Springs and North Druid Hills are narrow two-lane roads which handle tons more traffic than they were designed for), delays will not be uncommon for a Sandy Springs-North Druid Hills commute during peak hours.

At this time Roswell would probably provide for somewhat poor access to and from North Druid Hills, particularly during the next few years while the project to reconstruct the I-285/GA 400 interchange is in progress....Because of this, one might want to stay away from having to conduct a daily commute between Roswell and North Druid Hills at least until the I-285/GA 400 interchange reconstruction project is completed sometime after 2020.

Quote:
That's Peachtree CORNERS, which is located immediately next door to Norcross.

Peachtree CORNERS

...Not to be confused with Peachtree City which is 55 miles away to the south on the other side of the Atlanta metro area.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I am not necessarily personally intimately familiar with the cost-of-living trends in the Orlando market, but according to some online sources, the Atlanta housing market has a higher median listing price and median closing price than the Orlando housing market.

According a to a real estate site like Realtor.com, the Atlanta housing market currently features a median listing price of $380,000 and a median closing price of $240,000. The Orlando housing market currently features a median listing price of $265,000 and a median closing price of $200,000.

The only numbers on rents that I could find applied to the cities of Atlanta and Orlando proper. And there, as of April 2017, the average rental rates appeared to be $265/month higher within the City of Atlanta proper ($1591/month average) than in the City of Orlando proper ($1326/month average).

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...a-rent-trends/

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...do-rent-trends

So it might not just be your imagination that the cost-of-living seems somewhat higher in the Atlanta metro area than in the Orlando metro area.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:22 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,996,467 times
Alpharetta, Tucker, and then North Druid Hills?
I'd move to Alpharetta or Roswell first (*maybe* Dunwoody)

Then I'll look at buying around Doraville, Chamblee, Tucker, etc.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:

That's Peachtree CORNERS, which is located immediately next door to Norcross.

Peachtree CORNERS

...Not to be confused with Peachtree City which is 55 miles away to the south on the other side of the Atlanta metro area.
Thank you! I quickly realized I had to be specific with what Peachtree I was referring to searching for apartments last night, although to be honest I quickly fell in love with what I saw of Peachtree City online.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I am not necessarily personally intimately familiar with the cost-of-living trends in the Orlando market, but according to some online sources, the Atlanta housing market has a higher median listing price and median closing price than the Orlando housing market.

So it might not just be your imagination that the cost-of-living seems somewhat higher in the Atlanta metro area than in the Orlando metro area.
Thanks! This is what we are finding in all of our research. It seems HR for my husband's company might be using a different calculator.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Alpharetta, Tucker, and then North Druid Hills?
I'd move to Alpharetta or Roswell first (*maybe* Dunwoody)

Then I'll look at buying around Doraville, Chamblee, Tucker, etc.

Thank you. I hadn't heard about Doraville. I checked the distance of Tucker to both Alpharetta and North Druid Hills. That seems like a good choice. I'll have my husband check out Tucker this weekend.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I quickly realized I had to be specific with what Peachtree I was referring to searching for apartments last night, although to be honest I quickly fell in love with what I saw of Peachtree City online.
And if your husband was working on the Southside, Peachtree City would likely be a very good fit for your family.

But since your husband will be commuting to and from work in Northside areas like Alpharetta, Tucker and North Druid Hills, a Southside outer suburb like Peachtree City should not (and likely cannot) even be a serious thought.

While living in Atlanta, one's best bet will most often always be to attempt to live as close to one's workplace(s) as might be humanly possible.

That's because when the first Armageddon-type traffic gridlock-generating event that you experience here strikes (and trust me, it WILL strike), you probably will be very glad that you chose to live close to your husband's place of work.

You might not necessarily be able to get the perfect community that you may want to live in, but if one can minimize their exposure to Atlanta's often-challenging (sometimes extremely-challenging) rush hour and peak-hour commutes, it is considered a big win by Atlanta standards.

I know that you (very understandably) "want a family-friendly community with fairs, parks, festivals, churches, kid-friendly events". But in Atlanta one of your absolute first priorities should be (and will have to be) living as close to your husband's workplace and/or workplaces as will be humanly possible.

Remember, in Atlanta think live close to work first, then almost everything else second. You absolutely will want to attempt to minimize your husband's exposure to Atlanta's overtaxed arterial road network (including and especially the freeway system) as much as will be humanly possible while searching for a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or