Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 10,558 times

Advertisements

I'll be traveling from IL to Florida in a couple weeks for vacation. I'll be traveling 75 southbound coming into Atlanta. That being said I have a couple questions. 1) what is the difference between the HOV lanes and the express lanes? From what I've read online the HOV lanes are free to use as long as you have 2+ people in the car, but the express lanes you have to have a peach pass to use? I'm curious about the express lane cause on the Peach Pass website it says:

Does everyone have to pay to use the I-85 Express Lanes?
No. Registered accounts for transit, state-registered vanpools, carpools with three or more occupants, motorcycles, emergency vehicles, and Alternative Fuel Vehicles (AFV) with the proper AFV license plate (does not include hybrid vehicles) can use the Express Lanes without paying a toll by properly selecting the corresponding toll mode.

So its says if you have 3 or more people you don't have to pay, but where do you select the corresponding toll mode?

And my last question would be what is the best time to travel through Atlanta? I can either leave super late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning (its about 9 hours from my house to Atlanta) so I'm trying to plan accordingly.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 09:28 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollabillz217 View Post
I'll be traveling from IL to Florida in a couple weeks for vacation. I'll be traveling 75 southbound coming into Atlanta. That being said I have a couple questions. 1) what is the difference between the HOV lanes and the express lanes? From what I've read online the HOV lanes are free to use as long as you have 2+ people in the car, but the express lanes you have to have a peach pass to use? I'm curious about the express lane cause on the Peach Pass website it says:

Does everyone have to pay to use the I-85 Express Lanes?
No. Registered accounts for transit, state-registered vanpools, carpools with three or more occupants, motorcycles, emergency vehicles, and Alternative Fuel Vehicles (AFV) with the proper AFV license plate (does not include hybrid vehicles) can use the Express Lanes without paying a toll by properly selecting the corresponding toll mode.

So its says if you have 3 or more people you don't have to pay, but where do you select the corresponding toll mode?

And my last question would be what is the best time to travel through Atlanta? I can either leave super late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning (its about 9 hours from my house to Atlanta) so I'm trying to plan accordingly.

Thanks for your help
It's free to travel in the lanes if you have 3+ people in the car, but you still have to sign up and get a Peach Pass transponder to stick on your dash. That's how you select 3+ HOV mode and can access the lane.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 10,558 times
Awesome, thank you. Do you happen to know if there is a map that shows the locations of the express ways? I'll be coming from the northwest and it looks like they start up in the northeast so I'm wondering if I'd even have a chance to get onto the thing or not. I wasn't sure if it was its own dedicated lane with barriers or if it was just a lane all the way over to the left I could utilize.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollabillz217 View Post
Awesome, thank you. Do you happen to know if there is a map that shows the locations of the express ways? I'll be coming from the northwest and it looks like they start up in the northeast so I'm wondering if I'd even have a chance to get onto the thing or not. I wasn't sure if it was its own dedicated lane with barriers or if it was just a lane all the way over to the left I could utilize.
NW HOT lanes are not open. 75 South HOT lanes are open, completely separated. If you choose a good time to pass thru Atlanta, you won't need the lanes.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:48 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,547 times
There are currently two tolled "express" lanes: North of the city on I-85, and south of the city on I-75. Two additional projects (I-75/575 north of the city, and an extension of the I-85 lanes farther north) are under construction but won't be open by the time of your trip.

If you are coming down I-75 from IL, the I-85 lanes will do you no good. There are HOV lanes on I-75 that don't require a pass or registration, just 2+ occupants in the car. The HOV lanes on I-75 are only available "inside" the ring formed by I-285.

The tolled lanes on I-75 south of the city are "controlled access" meaning the are barrier-separated from the primary lanes are only have a few opportunities to get on/off. The direction the lanes run changes with commuting traffic patterns. If you are driving through on a weekday morning, they'll be headed against you, into the city. Weekday evenings they'll be headed south. Weekends, not sure.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:51 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
The I75 (NorthWest) "Express Lanes" are not scheduled to open until Mid 2018,
The will be bi-directional dedicated lanes. Changing direction for each rush hours South in the Morning, North at Night.

The I75 South of the City are open, two lanes (Also BiDirectional dedicated les)

You will need a PEACHPass to use them.

I75/I85 in downtown are HOV3+ lanes that are not separated from the other lanes, 1 lane in each direction. You can use them without a PeachPass.

For your Route, I would take i75 South then Take i285 W toward Birmingham/Tampa (To go around the west side of the city) then resume your route to FL.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:49 AM

561 posts, read 780,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The I75 (NorthWest) "Express Lanes" are not scheduled to open until Mid 2018,
The will be bi-directional dedicated lanes. Changing direction for each rush hours South in the Morning, North at Night.

The I75 South of the City are open, two lanes (Also BiDirectional dedicated les)

You will need a PEACHPass to use them.

I75/I85 in downtown are HOV2+ lanes that are not separated from the other lanes, 1 lane in each direction. You can use them without a PeachPass.

For your Route, I would take i75 South then Take i285 W toward Birmingham/Tampa (To go around the west side of the city) then resume your route to FL.
Correction. HOV is 2+. HOT is 3+.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:57 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
The direction the lanes run changes with commuting traffic patterns. If you are driving through on a weekday morning, they'll be headed against you, into the city. Weekday evenings they'll be headed south. Weekends, not sure.
Weekends have been Northbound Only on Saturday and Sunday. During Spring Break or most likely around Memorial Day, they will alternate it but lately, they leave it in 1 direction on the weekend lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta