Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 02:21 PM

30 posts, read 95,559 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I was wondering what is the current demographic % among whites, blacks and hispanics. I know that Henry County is growing alot still to this day, and I understand that a lot of blacks have been relocating to Henry as well.

Also, what are the majority white areas of Henry County? The northern or southern parts of Henry or what? I've been doing alot of reading up on the way demographics are shifting in this country as a whole and Atlanta is right
at the top. Wiki.com has some conflicting info and that's my reasoning for asking.

One last thing, What's the current demographic ratio in the city of Atlanta
itself. Last I heard it was 54% black. Does anybody know what it is currently?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM

22 posts, read 145,267 times
i dont know the specifics in Henry County BUT, some areas are more concentrated than others. i would visit greatschools.com and look at the demographics of the schools (which is what i did) to determine the area you would like to live based on the demo. i absolutely love Henry County (been here for 2 years) but, there are definately some areas that i refuse to live in--it just depends on what your looking for.

i actually have a home for sale in Locust Grove. its zoned for Unity Grove, Ola Middle and Ola High. Those schools are the most sought after schools in Henry County.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaboo72 View Post
Hi all, I was wondering what is the current demographic % among whites, blacks and hispanics. I know that Henry County is growing alot still to this day, and I understand that a lot of blacks have been relocating to Henry as well.

Also, what are the majority white areas of Henry County? The northern or southern parts of Henry or what? I've been doing alot of reading up on the way demographics are shifting in this country as a whole and Atlanta is right
at the top. Wiki.com has some conflicting info and that's my reasoning for asking.

One last thing, What's the current demographic ratio in the city of Atlanta
itself. Last I heard it was 54% black. Does anybody know what it is currently?

Thanks.
Hmm, I'm just basing it on a hunch, based upon trends since the last census. I'd estimate that Henry County is about 75% white, 23% black, and 3% other (mostly illegal Mexican).

Locust Grove and southeast Henry are likely to remain majority white for a long while. North Henry, around Stockbridge, is more mixed, say 60% white, but it has been treading blacker over the past five years. Still, there are lots of whites still moving to Henry, anywhere from Central and south Henry, in areas like McDonough, Locust Grove, Eagles Landing (neighborhood), and Hampton. Your best bet, however, is along Highway 20 (from McDonough to Rockdale County) or the highway that goes from McDonough to Covington (Newton CountY). Locust Grove in the far south is good, too.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:25 AM

129 posts, read 659,279 times
Well I don't know the exact % at all, but we saw it change drastically in the 6 years we lived there from predominitly white to very mixed and some areas mostly black.. The stockbridge area and northern henry county has been mixed (mostly black)for awhile now..
There are a ton of people from Clayton county coming to Henry county and putting there kids in the schools there b/c of how horrible Clayton schools are..

I can't tell you how many licesnse plates I saw with Clayton on them in the car rider line at school! I will also tell you that in my kids school in their class, there was only about 3 or 4 white kids and the rest was black. And that was pretty much how every class was.. Now there are definitly areas that are still predominitly white , but it is changing as well.
So I would disagree with the PP with saying it was 75% white... if you are interested in seeing the break down in each school this is a wonderful link.

GADOE - Office of Technology Services

Last edited by sahm3; 03-13-2008 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: different link

Old 03-14-2008, 04:51 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm3 View Post
Well I don't know the exact % at all, but we saw it change drastically in the 6 years we lived there from predominitly white to very mixed and some areas mostly black.. The stockbridge area and northern henry county has been mixed (mostly black)for awhile now..
There are a ton of people from Clayton county coming to Henry county and putting there kids in the schools there b/c of how horrible Clayton schools are..

I can't tell you how many licesnse plates I saw with Clayton on them in the car rider line at school! I will also tell you that in my kids school in their class, there was only about 3 or 4 white kids and the rest was black. And that was pretty much how every class was.. Now there are definitly areas that are still predominitly white , but it is changing as well.
So I would disagree with the PP with saying it was 75% white... if you are interested in seeing the break down in each school this is a wonderful link.

GADOE - Office of Technology Services
Schools are generally the first to change, since minority parents seek out whites schools because they generally have higher test results and less discipline problems.

On average, schools will be anywhere from twenty to twenty five percent more non-white (namely in mixed areas: areas from 40-80% white) than their percentage will be in the area.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 13,620 times
agree with everyone avoid stockbridge it is becoming like jonesboro since part of it is in clayton county.If you want whites go down to locust grove its not bad yet,but it will probably get that way in 4 - 5 yrs.eagleslanding is more upscale but to close to stockbridge to escape.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:47 PM

7 posts, read 26,687 times
I live in Stockbridge--the Eagles Landing area and LOVE it!!! I see a mixture of all races in this area- I do not know exactly what race you would prefer.....but a lot of Clayton County residents will be coming to the school system especially with the school accreditation- there are some areas that I would not live at in Stockbridge---the areas that are closer to Clayton County are more run down.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,271 times
Default Moving to Ga-Help

Hello All,
maybe someone can help me- I would like to move to Ga and I am prepared for it to be a slow and rocky start. However, my problem lies with should I move to Decatur,Cobb,College, or Henry County? I am trying to find a apartment that does not check for credit, and is reasonable and affordable. I'm also looking for a High School and Elementary school for both my kidds who are African American. I would like for them to go somewhere i know they can and will be safe, and the schools have a lot to offer. I do not want to put them just anywhere nor do I want them to feel out numbered concerning race or have to worry about being jumped on -when riding the bus or at school. I am hoping someone can tell me the safest place to live and good schools I can entrust my son and daughter to...any help would be greatly appericated...oh and I would like to be close to Alanta for employement oppurtunities Help...

Old 05-27-2012, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,730 times
Ha Ha! no matter where you go there will be blacks. Try Forsyth, they do a nice job of keeping blacks out, . Anywhere around the metro will be blacks, perhaps go Australia, South Africa or trace your roots back to Europe and go there. Good luck, I am looking for a smaller pop of blacks myself but no luck. LMAO

Old 05-28-2012, 01:46 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,117 times
You are right that the school demographics is a leading indicator for an area but there are now other variables people have to consider. For example, How many of those whites remaining in Henry co. are simply there because they cannot get out of the house they live in?
Personally I would prefer a more established majority black area with a strong sense of community rather than being in an area of rapid shifts. There is nothing wrong with change but there is also nothing wrong with wanting to be in an area where the change has already happened (for the better).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Schools are generally the first to change, since minority parents seek out whites schools because they generally have higher test results and less discipline problems.

On average, schools will be anywhere from twenty to twenty five percent more non-white (namely in mixed areas: areas from 40-80% white) than their percentage will be in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta