Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 07:57 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Very few of the signs in the area are reflective anymore, so they can't be read at night.
I don't know why GDOT refuses to add overhead lights to our signs. One thing that I miss about Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 08:29 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I don't know why GDOT refuses to add overhead lights to our signs. One thing that I miss about Maryland.
We had them until about 2000, and the lights were removed due to maintenance costs (you don't have to replace bulbs/wiring for reflective signage).

Old 05-17-2017, 08:43 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
We had them until about 2000, and the lights were removed due to maintenance costs (you don't have to replace bulbs/wiring for reflective signage).
Thanks for that information. Right but when most of the areas are so dark, reflective or not, it is still hard to see the signs especially when it is raining.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:39 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
That's a mess over there. Similar things have happened to me.

I find that Atlanta signage and markings are designed as a gentle reminder for people who already know this stuff. Considering the number of new people and outsiders, that's not a good strategy. You just find out too late.
Our turning lane and interstate junction signs are pretty bad. Why do we have such small signs that you can hardly see when states like Tennessee and North Carolina has clearer signage.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:36 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,746 times
What's funny is a lot of the things that we're complaining about GDOT not doing is only occurring in the Atlanta metro area and I don't understand it! Throughout the rest of the state the signage/lane markings is great, save for a random tree branch blocking a sign here or there (looking at you, Macon).

Old 05-18-2017, 05:40 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I wish they'd do a better job of painting lines through intersections especially where there's a hill. I nearly get hit turning left every time I exit at 17th street because some moron wants to try to shove me into the bus only lane. I put a topic on here about that a while ago.
Quote:
That's a mess over there. Similar things have happened to me.
Yes! I'm sick of it. Is the 17th St ramp and bridge city-maintained or GDOT? We need to file a complaint...

Old 05-18-2017, 06:23 AM

561 posts, read 781,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I wish they'd do a better job of painting lines through intersections especially where there's a hill. I nearly get hit turning left every time I exit at 17th street because some moron wants to try to shove me into the bus only lane. I put a topic on here about that a while ago.
Happens to me EVERY time I'm in the right left turn lane on this ramp. People in the far left lane always drift over to the right. Why is it so hard for idiots to turn into the left-most lane? I get that the dotted lines are faded, but this is common sense!

Old 05-18-2017, 06:36 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Thanks! I am going to be taking notes on specific areas of concern and will start reporting them.

Do you think maintenance issues like this aren't taken care of because they are unreported or they just aren't prioritizing it? I'm ready to start a campaign to harass the $#!* out of the city.
unreported, they don't have crews riding around all day looking at pavement markings, like they do in Cobb County.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Yes! I'm sick of it. Is the 17th St ramp and bridge city-maintained or GDOT? We need to file a complaint...
Interstate bridges and off ramps, GDOT maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta