U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:29 PM

92 posts, read 241,282 times

Advertisements

Hello,
OK, there's a lot to unpack here, but I'll do my best. I'm a young professional, born and raised in California, and have been working up in Portland, OR since November. I can't get too specific about my job (no, it's NOT the CIA, lol) but I can say that there are sites all over the country where I can work. The contract I'm currently on will keep me in Portland from anywhere until the end of June until the end of September, depending on the needs of the agency. Overall, I've enjoyed my time in Portland, but am torn between possibly renewing my contract to stay here, trying to do the same position back home in Oakland, or going somewhere else completely.

Which brings me to Atlanta. I previously worked on the campaign trail in South Carolina, and therefore had the chance to visit the ATL four times. I like the city for several reasons. It's a first-class city, but didn't seem overwhelming to me compared to some other places I've spent time in such as LA and NYC. Two, at least for the time being, the city's far more affordable than any place on the west coast. Three, I usually look for a city that has viable rail transportation. I'm aware that the MARTA seems to get subpar reviews among residents of the city, but I found it to be of good use. Also, it's always good to find a city where one can find a vibrant church home.

Well, obviously I know that Portland and Atlanta are vastly different cities, so I guess I have some questions. When I was visiting Atlanta, I always stayed in Dunwoody or Sandy Springs. How affordable are those places compared to other parts of the Atlanta metro? Being from Oakland, I'm definitely well-acquainted with bad neighborhoods. Are there any no-go areas of Atlanta? Also, it seemed quite segregated when I was there, though I've definitely been to places more segregated than Atlanta. What are the most integrated suburbs and parts of the city? One of several places I'm looking toward, but I've spent more time here than in most other places. Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 AM

1,189 posts, read 733,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballer0607 View Post
How affordable are those places compared to other parts of the Atlanta metro?
Dunwoody and Sandy Springs are around the middle of the market, give or take depending on specific location.

Quote:
Are there any no-go areas of Atlanta?
Not really, depending on the level of propriety and forebearance you can muster on a daily (or nightly, as the case may be) basis.

Quote:
What are the most integrated suburbs and parts of the city?
Pretty much even all the way around anymore, sorry if this seems too vague.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:54 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,287,940 times
As far as where to live its better to tell us the area you will be working in and we can go from there

Old 05-24-2017, 10:15 AM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
When were you in Atlanta?

I just want to make sure you were here in the summer, because the other places you mentioned outside of Atlanta and South Carolina have mild weather.

So I would say this: Don't move to Atlanta unless you don't mind brutally hot and humid summers. Be ready for them.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
When were you in Atlanta?

I just want to make sure you were here in the summer, because the other places you mentioned outside of Atlanta and South Carolina have mild weather.

So I would say this: Don't move to Atlanta unless you don't mind brutally hot and humid summers. Be ready for them.

Atlanta average monthly temps.....

May 59.5 80.0
Jun 67.1 86.5
Jul 70.6 89.4
Aug 69.9 87.9

This isnt brutally hot

Old 05-24-2017, 11:52 AM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
Perhaps the chart entitled Humidity Comfort Levels here tells a better story: https://weatherspark.com/y/15598/Ave...-United-States

Note the frequency of the words "oppressive" and "miserable."

Old 05-24-2017, 01:05 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,220,417 times
Coming from Portland it'll probably feel pretty hot until you get used to it.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:32 AM

92 posts, read 241,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
As far as where to live its better to tell us the area you will be working in and we can go from there
Oh yeah...I forgot. It seems that there are two possible locations my job would be in: either in the heart of downtown Atlanta, or in Chamblee. I didn't make it to Chamblee; what's that place like?

Old 05-25-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah...I forgot. It seems that there are two possible locations my job would be in: either in the heart of downtown Atlanta, or in Chamblee. I didn't make it to Chamblee; what's that place like?
Anywhere on 85 between Chamblee and Downtown would be great. Maybe just live between both off N Druid Hills Rd , Clarmont Rd or Shallowford Rd

Chamblee is cool. Real diverse and it's on the subway line

Old 05-25-2017, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,040 times
It all depends on what you are looking for. Chamblee does have some new Lofts that are nice, MARTA is very convenient, and it has become pretty walk-able. Another option that is a bit pricier is Brookhaven. Brookhaven is a bit closer to downtown, it is exploding with new shops and restaurants, but it is also pricier than Chamblee - MARTA is convenient here as well. One other option is the Beltline area. The Beltline is just east of downtown. Its a pathway that is will eventually loop around the city for bikers and walkers. This area is extremely popular right now. Its is the new hip place to buy. Of course prices do reflect this but it is a fun area to live!! The MARTA line is close to this area as well but it runs east to west so you would have to change trains to get to Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta