Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:45 PM

333 posts, read 387,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
I can't pull the cable cord unfortunately. I worked from home and I need highspeed internet and a landline for faxes and calls...At&t and Direct TV (basic) gives me that for 250.00 per month and it never goes up.
I frequently work from home too with two land lines that we've had since 2005. I'm testing the Obi202 2-Port Voice over IP with Google Voice so that we can continue to keep them, only this time for free. This has been the most difficult part of our transition, but we're getting there.

We paid DirecTV their ransom to get out of our contract years ago before moving over to Spectrum and get by with their high speed internet (I'm at 53 MBPS up and around 5.56 down as a type) only, PlayStation Vue, Sling TV and Roku devices to manage it all for well under $200 per month. The speed doesn't change much when the TVs are on either. Still looking for ways to get the bill lower, but no more contracts for us if we can help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 07:47 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMove View Post
This is absolutely insane. Some of the highest paid CEOs are media titans. Meanwhile many of their consumers are living paycheck to paycheck.

Frankly, I've had it with paying for all of those channels (most of which go unviewed anyway) and am cutting the cord in July. We're keeping the internet, but will get the local channels over a digital antenna on the roof and going with Google Voice for my land line (small business and need it). Looks like Playstation Vue and Sling TV will provide most of the channels that we had. Just need to be sure that I can get SEC sports and Falcons Football. Wifey wants the weather channel and Hallmark something or another.

Firing Charter Spectrum. Who else has done this? What do I need to think about?
I think since I lived in Atlanta I have only had Cable TV maybe twice for a total of maybe 2 month out of 10 years. Youtube, Netflix and Twitter gives me most of the information and entertainment I need. The price is more than the service. Only a fool would waste the amounts of money these companies are billing for.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,142 times
The inconvenience and environment factor comes into play that can also affect the perceived costs if your home has multiple tvs as well and what shows you want to watch. Like if you only have one tv where you watch all your shows and only watch Netflix or Youtube this would not be a issue.

If you have shows you watch that are exclusive to HBO, HULU, Amazon, Netflix, etc you would need to pay for all those services to watch everything you want ( legally) AND you would need to have some way to get all those services on all your TVs. That is total of $60 a month + about ~$50-$60 for decent internet connection. You end up paying roughly 120 a month to "cut the cord" if you have shows spread across different providers.

Last edited by bhammaster; 10-18-2017 at 08:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: