Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:38 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I wonder if its includes that large vacant building across from Five Points on the back side of the station across from McDonalds?
Are you talking about the old Atlanta Constitution building? No, I have not heard any mention of this group buying that yet. But the city does have an RFP out on it to get it redeveloped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 08:28 AM

477 posts, read 593,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Are you talking about the old Atlanta Constitution building? No, I have not heard any mention of this group buying that yet. But the city does have an RFP out on it to get it redeveloped.
Any word on whether or not any of the surface parking desert around Garnett MARTA will be up for redevelopment any time soon? I've seen the concept map, but no news on plans or land acquisition.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:38 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
222 Mitchell was the Citizens and Southern Bank back office before the mergers that created NationsBank and Bank of America. I used to work in that building (ours was one of the last business units to vacate), and all of the BofA branch "banking center" client-server technology was still managed from there as recently as 2003.

The basement and sub-basement housed the Atlanta Federal Reserve cash unit -- where all of the actual cash from Dixie was processed (old bills destroyed, fresh currency introduced, and everything packaged for distribution all across the South). I think the presence of that critical Fed function is why BofA stayed so long in the building, as a favor to the Fed. We moved to Midtown around the time that Macy's closed in early 2003. There was an old-school Southern lunch spot behind Mitchell Street, where the Enterprise Rent-a-car is now located, across from the enormous Norfolk Southern building. Old timers and good food, lots of nice memories.

The Garnett MARTA station (which was almost always empty) made an easy commute to Hartsfield. I commuted to Atlanta from Boston at the time for BofA.
Thanks for those recollections, westender.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
Any word on whether or not any of the surface parking desert around Garnett MARTA will be up for redevelopment any time soon? I've seen the concept map, but no news on plans or land acquisition.
I think some of the northern edges of those blocks are under contract by Newport. But regardless, I expect a lot of those lots will get included in this coming south downtown redevelopment wave.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:06 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
This should be good for you, jsvh. Didn't you recently buy some property in south downtown?

Old 06-10-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This should be good for you, jsvh. Didn't you recently buy some property in south downtown?
Yep. I worry when big developers come in buying up entire blocks at a time. Think you can get a "too many eggs in one basket" and monopolistic-type effects. Or even worse, they bulldoze everything and build inward facing mega projects. But I am optimistic this will turn out to be a great thing. So far it seems like they have good people on their team.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:46 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Great for the area. I think the entire area between Peachtree and the railroad tracks, and south of Mitchell down to Memorial/Ted Turner is ripe for massive development. It's right on MARTA and walking distance to Philips, the new football stadium, and the GWCC. It should be jam packed with multi-story multi-use development.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:45 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yep. I worry when big developers come in buying up entire blocks at a time. Think you can get a "too many eggs in one basket" and monopolistic-type effects. Or even worse, they bulldoze everything and build inward facing mega projects. But I am optimistic this will turn out to be a great thing. So far it seems like they have good people on their team.
Definitely understand the concern and I think your optimism is grounded in reality. The brains behind PCM are involved here and those brains obviously have an penchant for understanding the history of property and preserving it in a really (modern) functional way.

But with that said, I am really interested to see what their concept is for the area. Honestly, they are starting with a sort of blank slate. Yes there are buildings there, but nothing defines south downtown, they alone as developers could define the area. So a close eye should be kept. It seems odd that it would swing hard to attract the suburban/Buckhead crowd that PCM does.

At this time, this is the most interesting development in the A, IMO.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Definitely understand the concern and I think your optimism is grounded in reality. The brains behind PCM are involved here and those brains obviously have an penchant for understanding the history of property and preserving it in a really (modern) functional way.

But with that said, I am really interested to see what their concept is for the area. Honestly, they are starting with a sort of blank slate. Yes there are buildings there, but nothing defines south downtown, they alone as developers could define the area. So a close eye should be kept. It seems odd that it would swing hard to attract the suburban/Buckhead crowd that PCM does.

At this time, this is the most interesting development in the A, IMO.
Yep, I feel like they have been trying to operate mostly under the radar while they buy up properties. I think I will like whatever plans they ultimately deliver but cautiously optimistic until then.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:25 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
my dad worked for C&S in the 70s and used to eat at a sandwich place across the street owned by a couple named pete & sherry. the restaurant is still there and it looks the same on the inside, but i don't think they own it anymore. if you look inside the front of the old C&S building there is a big mural on the wall you can spot— i hope they keep that, and the general architecture of the building itself. and this time, it would be great if we get something more locally oriented and not designed to pull in heavy spenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta