Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:23 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,378,520 times

Advertisements

Actor Michael B. Jordan and director Ryan Coogler are teaming up to make a movie about the 2009 cheating scandal at an Atlanta middle school.

The movie, "Wrong Answer," is based on a 2014 story from the New Yorker about standardized test cheating, according to Hollywood Reporter.

In the upcoming movie, Jordan will play Damany Lewis, a math teacher struggling with the realities of No Child Left Behind, which have put his school at risk of shutting down.

Coogler will produce the film alongside Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner of Plan B Entertainment..."

Full Story: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...c-schools.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 01:31 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
I hope that this film depicts what the teachers did as buckling under a tremendous amount of pressure and making the wrong call under that pressure. But there were some aggressive people, too, and I'm sure that will come out as well.

Side note: Because of GA's filming industry tax credits, I'm guessing most of the movie will be made right here.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:37 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I hope that this film depicts what the teachers did as buckling under a tremendous amount of pressure and making the wrong call under that pressure. But there were some aggressive people, too, and I'm sure that will come out as well.

Side note: Because of GA's filming industry tax credits, I'm guessing most of the movie will be made right here.
That isn't really what happened. They were altering the tests to receive monetary bonuses. They put money and greed over the education of Atlanta's youth. If you watched or read about the trial it was pretty disgusting what they were doing. Regardless I am glad this whole saga is over and we can move forward it was pretty embarrassing for Atlanta as it made national news.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:18 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Even though this is embarrassing, I am glad it is getting more exposure. I admittedly know little about the scandal but I agree with toll booth that I hope the policy is made the enemy, not the teacher

I've worked for a company with some sort of lizard as a mascot and they LOVED giving you impossible benchmarks then blaming you when it doesn't work out. If that's the case here, those on top should be held responsible

Old 06-12-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
That isn't really what happened. They were altering the tests to receive monetary bonuses. They put money and greed over the education of Atlanta's youth. If you watched or read about the trial it was pretty disgusting what they were doing. Regardless I am glad this whole saga is over and we can move forward it was pretty embarrassing for Atlanta as it made national news.
That is a very sensationalist way of looking at the scandal.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:37 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Maybe we shouldn't tie the already low teacher salary to something as irrelevant to measuring learning as a end of the year standardized test.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:37 PM

304 posts, read 324,708 times
Really a weird thing to make a movie out of. I know it was a big scandal, by how do your over dramatize and sensationalize that to a national or world wide audience. I mean my point is, do enough people outside of Atlanta care about this or did they even follow this.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:36 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Maybe we shouldn't tie the already low teacher salary to something as irrelevant to measuring learning as a end of the year standardized test.
Or school funding in general. I mean, I'm just spit-balling here, but it seems like those schools most in need of funding are those that would not do well in testing.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:50 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,903 times
They need to make a movie about Cobb County stealing the Atlanta Braves

Old 06-12-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Or school funding in general. I mean, I'm just spit-balling here, but it seems like those schools most in need of funding are those that would not do well in testing.
Some would say that this is by design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: