Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 04:53 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,973,514 times

Advertisements

There's no admission to public school. Whenever your son arrives, you just take him to whatever school you are districted for and register him. They have to take him, that's the public school system.

If you're talking about private school, it's a different story.

noooooney is right...no self-respecting Indian would put a kid in Dekalb county schools. They are terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,852 times
Thanks very much. This is really really helpful. Apparently, it will not be a big battle to get my son into a public school then :-)

Just a question: Are private schools not a good option? I mean, is it because those are pretty strict on admission timeline (which is passed) or any other reason(s)? - just for my knowledge on this please!

Look forward to your guidance.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:46 PM

It's because they are expensive. That's why most people prefer public schools. And you're paying for them in your taxes anyway, so may as well use them.

But if you have enough money to easily afford private school, you don't have to care so much where you live. Unless admissions are a problem, and for that, hopefully someone else can help. I know nothing about the private school admission process....I assume as long as your check clears, you're in, but I think it's more complicated than that most places.

My recommendation would be to live in a good public school district in case private school falls through. You can always move if it works out, you're not buying a place. Johns Creek and Alpharetta have massive Indian populations because of the quality of their public schools, but your commute will hardly ever, if ever, be only 30-45 minutes (think an hour or more).

Old 07-03-2017, 05:57 PM

2,302 posts, read 2,965,118 times
The good private schools in Atlanta tend to cost between $20,000-$25,000 a year, but many offer financial aid. You would need to use the public schools for at least one year because the application process begins in early fall and ends in the spring for admission for the following school year.

There are many very good public schools where a motivated student can do very well. The public schools in North Fulton and East Cobb are generally excellent. If you want a shorter commute, you may also want to look at the Fulton County schools that are closer in: the IB programs at North Atlanta High School and Riverwood Charter High School. In Dekalb, you could look at Chamblee Charter High School or Lakeside High School. Makes sure to look at the prices of homes in the school district to make sure you could afford to eventually buy a home that you like in the district.

How old are your children? Some of our public elementary schools are better than others, as well.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:04 PM

4,410 posts, read 3,423,500 times
There are many Indian families in Dunwoody and Decatur, both of which are in DeKalb County and have great schools.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:15 PM

Decatur city schools (good) are not the same as Dekalb county schools (bad). That's an important distinction.

I understand the Dekalb high school in Dunwoody is good...are the elementary and middle schools there also good?

My niece just graduated from Chamblee Charter last year. She says it's not what it used to be.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:01 PM

23,324 posts, read 43,787,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

noooooney is right...no self-respecting Indian would put a kid in Dekalb county schools. They are terrible.
That is unreasonably harsh. We're talking about a 5 year old here, and there are plenty of really good options in DeKalb County's public school system.
To the OP: There are a number of apartment complexes in the North Druid Hills area (30329) well within your budget. Really you could opt for a house rental with that budget, and I think the City of Decatur would accommodate you very well. It has great schools and direct rail access to Downtown.

City of Decatur, GA : Education

Old 07-03-2017, 09:11 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,763,299 times
Do you know if your work is near a MARTA rail station?
https://martaguide.com/rail-station-map/

Had a realtor-friend do a quick search.

In City of Decatur we saw one 2br-1ba apartment zoned for Westchester Elementary for $1200 (seemed cheap.---even if it is not City of Decatur it is Fernbank Elmentary-which is just as good. Like what LovinDecatur said, there have to be some options for Fernbank Elementary (North Decatur) that are in your price range--if there is a problem--it is not the school--it would be that it is probably a longer bus ride to a rail station.

Looking at places for under $2300 there are options in the Mary-Lin (Candler Park) and SPARK (Midtown) elementaries. They will be smallish 2br--1ba, 2Br-2-ba, and 3br-1ba. Some are homes, some are parts of homes. The neighborhoods have rail--but not sure how close to the homes. Doing a better search, you might find cheaper options.

There are probably some options in the North Atlanta High, Dunwoody, and Camblee Clusters worth exploring, (there will be good and not so good Elementary schools in the clusters--you will have to do your research, and verify the Elementary school zone that the home is in).

FYI when we refer to clusters *usualy* 3 to 6 elementary (grades Kindergarten through 5th grade) feed into a single middle school (grades 6-8) which feed into a single high school which the cluster is named after. (City of Decatur is a little different, but it will not effect your situation).

Last edited by jeoff; 07-03-2017 at 09:50 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 09:24 PM

2,302 posts, read 2,965,118 times
I am more feeling the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Chamblee area for this family. Access to Marta, not far from the very large Indian community in Norcross. Very good schools with a lot to offer motivated students.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:12 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,831,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
That is unreasonably harsh. We're talking about a 5 year old here, and there are plenty of really good options in DeKalb County's public school system.
To the OP: There are a number of apartment complexes in the North Druid Hills area (30329) well within your budget. Really you could opt for a house rental with that budget, and I think the City of Decatur would accommodate you very well. It has great schools and direct rail access to Downtown.

City of Decatur, GA : Education

Manish6Arora - This is great advice. The City of Decatur schools are some of the best in this region.

There are also several great Elementary Schools in the DeKalb County System. Montgomery Ferry in Brookhaven is one that comes to mind.

Good luck with your search, and welcome to Atlanta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta