Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 03:21 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I've though about this too. I used to go walking in a neighborhood and a lot of times I'd have an empty gatorade bottle that I wanted to throw in someone's recycling bin that was out on the curb. It wasn't gonna suddenly overflow, it was gonna be thrown away anyway.
There's a great Curb Your Enthusiasm episode with just this subplot:

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" Chet's Shirt (TV Episode 2002) - IMDb

"While comforting a friend whose husband passed away, Larry and Cheryl comment on the husband's shirt. Larry then goes to the department store the next day to buy it. Meanwhile, Jeff talks Larry into investing in a trendy new celebrity restaurant. Larry also gets into trouble when he throws away some trash in a random garbage can."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 05:33 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It kind of phone piggybacks off something I've always wondered...if you're walking down the street in trash day and the garbage man hasn't come yet, is it ok to throw something in a can on the street? Like a soda can or candy bar wrapper or something?

In my neighborhood we just put trash bags out. On trash morning sometimes when I'm walking my dog and she poops, I'll put the poop bag in someone else's trash bag. I mean, it doesn't impact them in any way whatsoever, but I still wonder if anybody is ever going to come out and yell at me.
Long as you put it inside a bag, I don't see the big deal about it.

You should rinse your can out every few weeks anyway.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:42 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Our neighbor, a single senior lady, puts her single bag of garbage in our Herbie every week. I do it for her often. I would never get upset about this. Heck, we usually roll her recycling Herbie back to her house every Thursday. Neighbors should be neighborly!

Old 06-22-2017, 12:19 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What if my friend had a really long driveway and he had to go up a steep hill to get back to the house and he had a bad leg?
If your friend is over the age of 70 or has a physical condition that prevents him from bringing his trash to the street, he can apply for free backyard pick up in the city of Atlanta. Don't know if other jurisdictions provide this service. https://www.atlantaga.gov/government...uling-services

Quote:
Backyard pick up service may be available without charge for persons having physical limitations which prevent placement of garbage receptacles at the curb if certain requirements are met.

You may be eligible based on:

(A) Age only criteria.

Any residence where there are no persons between the ages of 12 and 70 capable of placing garbage at the curbside.

(B) Physical condition criteria.

Each person between the ages of 12 and 70 at a residence not capable of placing garbage at the curbside must present a certificate from a physician licensed to practice medicine by the State stating that such person is physically incapable of placing garbage at the curbside. (See City of Atlanta Ordinance, Chapter 130: Solid Waste Management, Sec.130-37(c)(3)).

Old 06-22-2017, 12:32 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Our neighbor, a single senior lady, puts her single bag of garbage in our Herbie every week. I do it for her often. I would never get upset about this. Heck, we usually roll her recycling Herbie back to her house every Thursday. Neighbors should be neighborly!
You are a gentleman and a scholar, Ansley.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
If your friend is over the age of 70 or has a physical condition that prevents him from bringing his trash to the street, he can apply for free backyard pick up in the city of Atlanta. Don't know if other jurisdictions provide this service. https://www.atlantaga.gov/government...uling-services
Very interesting. Thanks, magnetar!

Old 06-25-2017, 08:50 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
In Brookhaven a homeowner can get a very small sized Herbie if they can't manage a large one.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:14 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
In Smyrna, you have an option of three sizes of Herbies - 32, 64, 96

It is super easy to call the sanitation department and have them switch out to a smaller size, but still amazes me neighbors that are single households that keep the 96 that was originally delivered.

One you bring the trash can to the curb, I say who cares if someone throws a single bag or empty bottle in the can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta