Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:44 AM

97 posts, read 99,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Do a goggle search. Good grief!
There are so so many places, I can not possibly research every single one of them. Didn't realize I couldn't ask a question on this forum even though google is at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Like the AUGnative and flamadiddle stated, Gainesville, Athens and Braselton are really good choices as outlying cities with a small-town feel that are within an hour of Gwinnett County.

Braselton is a fast-growing exurban outpost with a rural feel in many areas that spreads across parts of Hall, Jackson, Barrow and far-Northeastern Gwinnett counties.

Athens is a major college town that is home to the flagship campus of the University of Georgia system (and the tens-of-thousands of students that attend there).

Gainesville is a center of commerce, industry, culture and (especially) politics for Northeast Georgia that provides great-to-excellent access to the popular (and cherished) Blue Ridge/Southern Appalachian Mountains of North Georgia, Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee.

Though, despite the booming population, continued development and overcrowding throughout many parts of Gwinnett County, like primaltech noted, there are also areas within Gwinnett County (like Norcross, Duluth, Suwanee and Buford) that offer the small-town feel that you are looking for.
Yes I have heard that all of Gwinnett is heavily populated but than have also heard that there are still small town feels in parts of it. I know we will have to visit for ourselves and decide. Just wanted to see what everyone had to say about some surrounding towns. I will look into the towns you mentioned. Thank you (:

Old 06-20-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
On what do you base this?
Obviously just word of mouth.. for now. We have heard that it is heavily populated and school zones are constantly changing. We plan to visit in the next couple of weeks and decide for ourselves.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
From the sound of it, he might prefer one of the cities/counties outside of Athens. Watkinsville in Oconee County maybe? --especially if schools are a priority. Also, Madison might be worth a look. But, if it were me, I would find something in Gwinnett that I liked. An hour commute to get away from Gwinnett? Sounds like a lot of unnecessary pain to me.

We plan to visit in the next couple weeks to decide if we do/do not like it there. Just from word of mouth everyone keeps trying to scare us away from living in Gwinnett County. We will obviously have to make that decision for ourselves. I will add Madison, Athens and the others you mentioned to my list. Thank you (:

Old 06-20-2017, 11:09 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,209,954 times
Atlanta.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:51 AM

347 posts, read 375,799 times
Small town feel? Hmm

Braselton/Houschton - they're right at the northern border of Gwinnett.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:34 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,684,729 times
This thread is very perplexing to say the least....

The larger the county is, the more you need to stop paining the whole county in a broad brush and look at the areas within it. Gwinnett is full of small communities that are varied between each other.

If you only look for the worse or best of anything tagged "Gwinnett" you will see an overall pretty terrible or overall pretty great place.

Overall, Gwinnett is fairly affluent still and has a strong economy. That same economy pulls in people and places of all different types. Yet, parts of the county is like it was when it was developed as an exurban county long ago.

Nonetheless, I would start over. Be more descriptive on why you need to be near Gwinnett, where are you commuting to, what is your general family situation, budget, housing needs, etc....

You will get more varied opinions in-and-out of Gwinnett and you might be surprised. Inversely, there are many places in the core of Gwinnett County that you will not like. If you turn immediately off the freeway in the western and central areas of the county, you probably won't like it.

One word of caution within an hour of Gwinnett is a great deal of exurban spaces that are rapidly suburbanizing. Do not move in with exactly an hour commute and not expect that commute to grow over 10-15 years. Also, realize that there will be others like you constantly moving in after you. The issue with school borders changing will be very pervasive in smaller school system in exurban counties seeing faster growth. Barrow County, Southern Hall Call County, Walton County, and (of course) Forsyth County have and will see a heavy amount of growth in the future. This means they will need to build new schools and adjust over time.

Gwinnett's school borders are somewhat stable, but the problem is the entire system is the largest in the state. There is always a small part of it adjusting to a new school being built, but there are large areas within the county that will remain fairly stable. It is definitely something to consider on neighborhood selection, both inside and outside of Gwinnett. But I promise you, you can't paint any of these counties with a broad stroke and say these things will remain constant in any one place. Strong economic growth = strong population growth.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 PM

5,617 posts, read 5,878,001 times
This is firmly in Gwinnett.
So is this.

Gwinnett is huge and has some exurban/nearly rural areas. Dacula would fit the bill and parts along 316 are a little slower to develop compared to north (Hamilton Mill area).

Braselton/Hoschton is a good suggestion.
Maybe Barrow County areas like Winder/Auburn/Carl.
Walton County is worth a look.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:27 PM

2,410 posts, read 2,760,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknapp1 View Post
We plan to visit in the next couple weeks to decide if we do/do not like it there. Just from word of mouth everyone keeps trying to scare us away from living in Gwinnett County. We will obviously have to make that decision for ourselves. I will add Madison, Athens and the others you mentioned to my list. Thank you (:
We lived in Oconee county and enjoyed it, but, we worked in Athens at the time. If, our work moved to Lawranceville, instead of Atlanta, we *probably* would have still moved. I do know one guy who works at the CDC that chooses to commute from Athens every day--other than that--he's a perfectly sane fellow (and a very nice guy). He never seems to regret the choice--though I think he's taking early retirement.

The suggestions are so spread out, I would probably nix the Maddison idea. You could just make a trip up highway 29 from Lawranceville to Athens and Oconee County, and just visit a few towns on the way --your choices Dacula, Auburn, Carl, Winder, Statham, and Bogart (which is in Oconee, I think).
About Athens and Oconee County--they are both very different takes on "not Atlanta", and really not very typical of Georgia. Athens is relatively liberal college town with a nice variety of restaurants, parks and festivals, but its County is pretty poor. Oconee has great schools, shops, parks, and is relatively wealthy. The two are pretty intertwined, and you can enjoy the amenities of one (other than schools) while living in the other.

Last edited by jeoff; 06-20-2017 at 05:23 PM..

Old 06-20-2017, 05:22 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,500,765 times
what's wrong with Buford? It's in northern Gwinnett and has a nice small town feel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta