Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 07:20 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,380,481 times

Advertisements

After nearly a decade of legal battles between various parties, a settlement has been reached that will lead to the closing of the Peachtree-Pine homeless shelter, according to several sources close to the transaction.

Fulton County Superior Court Judge Craig Schwall apparently signed a consent decree on Wednesday, but different parties did not want to discuss the settlement on the record until they had seen the signed agreement..."

Full Story: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...tree-pine.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 07:24 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Let's hope those who depended on this for support, find the help they need and are not just tossed out of the streets.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:28 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,082 times
I'll be interesting to see 1) where the smaller replacement shelters are located (the stadium neighborhoods are reportedly fighting some being moved there), and 2) how fast the Bedford-Pine area is redeveloped, specifically the SciTrek/Civic Center site. This is huge for downtown, as well as for the homeless population that was being underserved at the shelter. I'd love to see the Atlanta Mission add another center, since they are doing a great job getting the homeless population's needs publicized and addressed.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:35 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
What are we going to be saying in five years when it's still there?

Old 06-22-2017, 07:36 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Let's hope those who depended on this for support, find the help they need and are not just tossed out of the streets.
If Reed is true to his word, and / or if the next mayor continues the idea, then they should be.

We really need a comprehensive overhaul of our homeless programs. A network of small, generic shelters dispersed across the city, with an overlapping of more specialty shelters for higher-risk groups. All need to be readily accessible by transit, and should be in / near density that allows them to handle many tasks on their own without needing to travel too far. Libraries, grocers, emergency clinics, police stations, etc.

We also need real access to drug rehabilitation, mental healthcare, and physical healthcare. Get those who are trapped by illness, of whatever kind, the treatment they need.

Increased jobs training and education opportunities would be extremely helpful as well, of course, and having counselor staff attached to the shelters would help those having trouble adjusting to their new lives.

I won't pretend to know how much of everything is needed, or in what orders or to what extent, or even what all is already available, but just looking in from the outside it seems like whatever system we're using to try and handle our homeless just isn't working. From the outside it seems as if everything is on its own little island, without nearly enough cross-promotion or truly integrated assistance. I know that we can do better than what we've got now.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:41 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
What are we going to be saying in five years when it's still there?
Did you even read the article? Why do you think it's going to still be there in 5 years?

Old 06-22-2017, 07:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Non-pay wall version
Settlement reached to close Peachtree-Pine homeless shelter - ending more than a decade of discord - SaportaReport
Quote:
Sources said they did not know what would eventually happen to the building, which was one of Atlanta’s oldest automobile dealerships. Preservationists have expressed interest in making sure the building at 477 Peachtree St. is not demolished.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Wow, I never thought this day would come! Very happy to hear that reputable and capable organizations are in line to take over as soon as the Task Force is out. I'm not too concerned about a negative effect this will have on the homeless, a capable organization like the United Way will be nothing but better than current management. Prob the only "detriment" to the homeless population is (hopefully) the free for all situation is over.

Even if a homeless shelter stays in place or near by, it certainly won't be as bad as the Task Force shelter. I don't think many people realize that Atlanta Mission homeless shelter is located in the middle of one of the hottest areas of town, right across from The Optimist. You can hardly notice it. That's how a shelter should be run. Not a free for all where drug consumption, sex, and whatever one wants to do in public is tolerated. I understand there are people that struggle with these things, but having a place where it is ok encourages it. That needed to go, it's going to be better for the homeless and the city.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:10 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Even if a homeless shelter stays in place or near by, it certainly won't be as bad as the Task Force shelter. I don't think many people realize that Atlanta Mission homeless shelter is located in the middle of one of the hottest areas of town, right across from The Optimist. You can hardly notice it. That's how a shelter should be run. Not a free for all where drug consumption, sex, and whatever one wants to do in public is tolerated. I understand there are people that struggle with these things, but having a place where it is ok encourages it. That needed to go, it's going to be better for the homeless and the city.
Interesting point. I live over on the westside, and frequently travel down that stretch of Howell Mill where the Atlanta Mission is. Never really noticed homeless people milling about. In fact, I'm not even sure I was aware there was an actual shelter there. But, around Peachtree Pine, it's like the campground for Woodstock...a bunch of random homeless people just milling around and hanging on street corners and in parking lots. It's a completely different scene. And it's not a scene that helps Midtown out at all.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:11 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Did you even read the article? Why do you think it's going to still be there in 5 years?
Because there are only so many times you can cry wolf before people have to see it to believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta