U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2017, 10:06 PM
 
9,907 posts, read 6,894,976 times
Reputation: 3012

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
What I really hate is this uber-massive CNN center deck
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7539.../data=!3m1!1e3

Can't we put some buildings on top of all that, or something? It's just MASSIVE.
That is the hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2017, 05:08 AM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,287,940 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
What I really hate is this uber-massive CNN center deck
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7539.../data=!3m1!1e3

Can't we put some buildings on top of all that, or something? It's just MASSIVE.

WOW. Didn't realize it was this huge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 05:16 AM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,976,792 times
Reputation: 1421
I've been saying for years (but I always get shot down) that what city of ATL needs is more ACTIVE activity venues. We dont need anymore restaurant or shopping venues for goodness sake. Here are some ideas: gocart racing venue (yes right here in the city instead of having to drive to freaking Alpharetta or Norcross), another mini-golf place but this time a real one with water fountains, statues, dips, etc not that thing they had to squeeze onto a tiny space at PCM, a dance club - maybe someplace that offers salsa and other dance lessons and becomes those types of dance clubs at night, people seem to like going to the gym so why not put one there - something worthwhile that includes a raquetball court or two, a skating rink. Atlanta can benefit from a social scene that is focuses more on clean, active fun and Atlantans can stand to get more exercise. We have an obesity epidemic in our country and by the looks of things as I walk around Atlanta, we are eating too damn much and not exercising enough. I know this is the south but we do not have to continue with the old way of southern cooking and obesity. Life can be greatly improved for adults and children with better health. Since this will be near a sports team why not focus on exercise and activities that bring better health? We dont need more places to EAT. Everything Atldoes has to involve eating and shopping. We have enough of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
A comedy club, a bowling alley, some retail stores that aren't currently in Atl, a few bars, a country or EDM club, restaurants, etc would fit nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
All I have to say is, build the commuter rail terminal in the Gulch, then they can build whatever they want to on top of it. Just please DO NOT PRECLUDE said terminal, with this development.

Rest of the commuter rail system can be built out later, but build the central terminal first. Similar to how the Airport MARTA station was built 8 full years before the line got there and it was able to open.
Cool, now we just need the state of Georgia to fund it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Reputation: 4894
So why couldn't Ressler and the owners have just paid for the reno out of their pockets and not plunder the taxpayers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 06:41 AM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
4,995 posts, read 3,475,762 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So why couldn't Ressler and the owners have just paid for the reno out of their pockets and not plunder the taxpayers?
Because they know that Mayor Reed is a jock-sniffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,375,674 times
Reputation: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So why couldn't Ressler and the owners have just paid for the reno out of their pockets and not plunder the taxpayers?
That's the nasty in all of this. Sports team owners are the worst
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 08:11 AM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,287,940 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I've been saying for years (but I always get shot down) that what city of ATL needs is more ACTIVE activity venues. We dont need anymore restaurant or shopping venues for goodness sake. Here are some ideas: gocart racing venue (yes right here in the city instead of having to drive to freaking Alpharetta or Norcross), another mini-golf place but this time a real one with water fountains, statues, dips, etc not that thing they had to squeeze onto a tiny space at PCM, a dance club - maybe someplace that offers salsa and other dance lessons and becomes those types of dance clubs at night, people seem to like going to the gym so why not put one there - something worthwhile that includes a raquetball court or two, a skating rink. Atlanta can benefit from a social scene that is focuses more on clean, active fun and Atlantans can stand to get more exercise. We have an obesity epidemic in our country and by the looks of things as I walk around Atlanta, we are eating too damn much and not exercising enough. I know this is the south but we do not have to continue with the old way of southern cooking and obesity. Life can be greatly improved for adults and children with better health. Since this will be near a sports team why not focus on exercise and activities that bring better health? We dont need more places to EAT. Everything Atldoes has to involve eating and shopping. We have enough of that.

I agree. This would be the perfect opportunity to bring downtown the things it's has been missing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,375,674 times
Reputation: 2723
It's been so long, but wasn't the bulk of the MMPT station building going to be b/t Forsyth and Spring/Ted Turner Sts?

I would imagine whatever is built in regards to this taxayer funded handout would be at street level, so they should be able to leave plenty of room underneath for that sweet train infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Vinings
5,940 posts, read 2,902,450 times
Reputation: 3178
Yeah, I mean if they kept this development west of Ted Turner, then they could put the rail station kind of between Ted Turner and Forsyth. Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top