U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 04:35 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,908,227 times

Advertisements

Centennial Olympic Park Dr should be made into the new Peachtree St.

Put some towers on that B. Might as well, it's downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 11:08 PM

3,949 posts, read 3,253,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The state has been a massive benefactor to downtown Atlanta. In addition to keep its thousands of office workers there, it has built many major office buildings there. And public spaces such as the Dome, Centennial Olympic Park, the World Congress Center and its plaza, and the new Liberty Plaza. It's going to develop a 42 story hotel next to the GWCC. And don't forget Georgia State. And, oh yeah, the freeway system. The Capitol. The new judicial center. The creation of MARTA.
Explain the State attitude through the 80's until now anti Marta campaign and no financial support. That holds considerable more weight than those things mention above.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:19 AM

4,645 posts, read 3,017,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Explain the State attitude through the 80's until now anti Marta campaign and no financial support. That holds considerable more weight than those things mention above.
Everything that arjay said is true, but I also agree with alco89 - a State IS supposed to invest in its Capital City, especially when it's the economic engine of said State.

I agree with you as well regarding MARTA. The combination of the State refusing to support MARTA, while at the same time having oversight authority of them in how they spend their own revenue has been beyond shameful.

But - many of our peer Metros would kill to have the heavy rail infrastructure we have, and our ridership is respectable. We are very fortunate to have it.

It seems as if the State is finally waking up, though. But it could also be because the Business Community is forcing them to, who knows. I'll take the recent thawing of bad relations as a positive, I'm an eternal optimist.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:26 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,377,861 times
Been checking out the CIM Group. They developed the tallest residential building in the world in NYC (432 Park Ave) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/432_Park_Avenue

They also seem to have a very diverse portfolio of properties. Lots of urban residential, urban retail, suburban retail, mixed use retail/entertainment spaces like AS or Avalon, a solar farm, etc. I don't think the mayor was exaggerating when he referred to them as first rate - CIM Group | Home / Investments / By Product Type

Old 06-24-2017, 02:01 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,291,154 times
CIM Group >>>Dewberry

Old 06-24-2017, 02:15 PM

9,910 posts, read 6,899,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Been checking out the CIM Group. They developed the tallest residential building in the world in NYC (432 Park Ave) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/432_Park_Avenue
I was just looking up that building. I thought it was interesting the mayor called it out in his comments. Wonder if that is a hint we might get a super-tall included as part of this project?

Old 06-24-2017, 03:19 PM

502 posts, read 239,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
CIM Group >>>Dewberry
Where does Faqua rank in there?

Old 06-24-2017, 06:04 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,908,227 times
It would be ironic/ frustrating if they blocked a passenger rail terminal with development that would nicely compliment the terminal and vice versa.

Especially when the conservative state leaders are just now finally coming around to the idea of truly regional transit, and Cobb commissioners are taking a pro- commuter rail stance.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:17 PM

9,910 posts, read 6,899,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Where does Faqua rank in there?
Dewberry's projects are better, they just don't build them. Think I give more credit to building something imperfect over holding land empty for years.

So for me: CIM Group >>>Fuqua>Dewberry

Old 06-24-2017, 08:18 PM

4,992 posts, read 3,478,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
It would be ironic/ frustrating if they blocked a passenger rail terminal with development that would nicely compliment the terminal and vice versa.

Especially when the conservative state leaders are just now finally coming around to the idea of truly regional transit, and Cobb commissioners are taking a pro- commuter rail stance.
It probably wouldn't be too difficult for the development to leave a "shell" for if and when the MMPT is finally funded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or