U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:56 PM

29,366 posts, read 26,328,600 times

Advertisements

Before we sink billions into 19th century infrastructure, why don't we take a look at the latest technology?

China has now introduced urban trains that don't require tracks and which cost a fraction of old style trains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd3N9CFKe9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krI_5vl76TI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 09:15 PM

5,091 posts, read 3,309,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Before we sink billions into 19th century infrastructure, why don't we take a look at the latest technology?

China has now introduced urban trains that don't require tracks and which cost a fraction of old style trains.
How is this much different from the parking lot trams at most major attractions? Just looks like a different form factor.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:22 PM

6,338 posts, read 3,420,305 times
I mean, it has a steering wheel, so it's more of an articulated bus with an optical guidance system, similar to AV tech. I guess you could call it a train, since it does appear to have a fixed guidance system. I guess it depends on the definition of what is a train.

Anyway, pretty fantastic hybrid of a bus and a train. I could see something like this on Buford Highway or Cobb Parkway, with the overhead wires, looking and operating just like a light rail.

If only the Atlanta Streetcar could have been done like this. Expansion would just be a matter of buying more vehicles and installing more stations, and just simply re-paving and striping the asphalt.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:25 PM

5,554 posts, read 3,043,942 times
It's a bus, without clear dedicated guide way. It costs far more than a conventional bus does, without the advantages that clear, hard to remove, dedicated right of way brings, and without some of the long-term operations savings that streetcars / light rail have.

I doubt this will be anywhere close to disruptive, and will likely go the way of the straddle bus.

Edit: It's pretty much just BRT, really.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
It's a bus, without clear dedicated guide way. It costs far more than a conventional bus does, without the advantages that clear, hard to remove, dedicated right of way brings, and without some of the long-term operations savings that streetcars / light rail have.

I doubt this will be anywhere close to disruptive, and will likely go the way of the straddle bus.

Edit: It's pretty much just BRT, really.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I think with this reaction you're being a bit closed-minded/traditionalist/set in your ways and thought patterns. Also your anti-AV-tech bias is showing.

I don't see why a fixed guideway (which defines something being a train) has to necessarily be simple-physical/mechanical and can't be computerized fixed guideway, based on sensory input and processing.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:54 AM

902 posts, read 441,215 times
It really is just BRT. Unless it is grade separated, what will stop cars from getting in front of the Bus? It would need signal prioritization which is usually the first thing to go when car drivers get upset having to sit at lights. I think this would work perfectly on the beltline though.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:58 AM

29,366 posts, read 26,328,600 times
This would be perfect for the Beltline and it could be up and running in a couple years rather than decades. And for a fraction of the cost.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:58 AM

23,393 posts, read 17,563,923 times
It's an articulated bus, that still requires a wider ROW than rail-level transit. While upfront costs are lower, it would still cost as much or more over decades of use. Why are we focusing on short term solutions?

Old 07-03-2017, 06:26 AM

38 posts, read 20,526 times
I like this technology and I see it working for a lot of cities but this will be useless with just a few inches of snow on the ground which is a big disadvantage versus steel rail that could still operate other than that its cool

Old 07-03-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK141 View Post
I like this technology and I see it working for a lot of cities but this will be useless with just a few inches of snow on the ground which is a big disadvantage versus steel rail that could still operate other than that its cool
That is a good point.

Luckily, doesn't seem to ever snow here anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or