Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 09:04 AM

86 posts, read 84,116 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some research for a possible move. Right now I'm in a dinky northern town only because I got a job here. I don't like it. My wife hates it. My son has nothing to do and there aren't any decent jobs. My wife has a Masters Degree but can't find work here.

We're from the suburbs of a bigger city and where we live now has nothing as far as shopping. Yes, it's pretty for 3 months but then it snows and it's grey for about 6 or more.

"I'm done with snow," is my new motto. I'm also sick of what my dollar will get as far as rentals. This weekend I saw some real crudholes. It's just depressing to think I may be trapped here.

How is life in Fayetteville? We're just looking for a place that is up and coming so we can earn a fair wage, buy a little place and settle down. A good library, nice stores, and jobs in healthcare and education would be wonderful. What about colleges?

I'm in materials/supply chain in both industry and in medical. I've seen jobs I can do but I am afraid of ageism. (over 50 but very in shape and I easily have the work ethnic of someone much younger).

I'm just digging at this point so if anyone is kind enough to impart a little knowledge please let me know. Any areas to avoid if I rent an apartment. Any recommendations for a "dog friendly place?"

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 09:22 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Quote:
"I'm done with snow,"
In that case, I recommend Orlando or Tampa.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:42 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
In that case, I recommend Orlando or Tampa.
Well, yes and no. Having done 2 winters in PA, I understand the "done with snow" sentiment. What Atlanta deals with is practically nothing. You might get one decent snow once a few years here that's actually relate-able to the north. Having to brush it all off your car, shovel your driveway, plan around it, etc. Even though our snow plowing sucks, it's still much easier here to handle winter here, even the odd snowfall.

Fayetteville is likely even less likely to get snow. Plenty of times (like January) only the far northern burbs get snow.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:30 PM

761 posts, read 906,285 times
Fayetteville is a great small town in Fayette County with good shopping, dinning, and schools. It's also very convenient to the airport (20 minutes) where most of the supply chain companies are located. It also offers a decent commute to downtown. As far as up and coming, the addition of Pinewood Film studios to Fayetteville's westside and the new Pinewood Forrest development makes Fayetteville very up and coming IMO. Fayetteville has 2 zip codes, 30214 and 30215. If diversity is important to you, the northern Fayetteville zip code (30214) is much more racially diverse vs. the southern zip code (30215). The northern part of Fayetteville also has more shopping and dinning options, and the southern part of Fayetteville has a more rural feel.

Could Pinewood Forrest be the next Serenbe? - Atlanta Magazine

Old 07-03-2017, 07:22 PM

761 posts, read 906,285 times
Sorry for the addendum, but besides the more developed northern part of Fayetteville, and the less developed southern portion of Fayetteville, there is also a very affluent section of the Fayetteville along Redwine Road made up of gated and covenant communities in the $500K-$2M+ range that are connected to the Peachtree City golf cart paths. This section of Fayetteville reminds me of "Pleasantville". A lot of airline pilots, MD's, attorneys, and executives live in this area. Then there is a central portion of Fayetteville where the square is that's a little like the traditional southern town.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Fayetteville (and Fayette County in general) is an amazing place that offers pretty much everything you're looking for. I highly suggest you corne down for a visit and check it out.

The Metro Atlanta region enjoys 4 distinct seasons, with blissfully mild and beautiful spring and fall seasons and just enough cold and ice in winter to satisfy most northern transplants. Yes, during the worst part of summer it can get brutally hot and humid -- but it's seldom for long (usually not more than a couple of months at a time). Everywhere you go (including schools) have excellent AC!

To get a feel for Fayetteville and Fayette County, I suggest you check out these Facebook groups:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1450309251899128

https://m.facebook.com/groups/336697116538410

Old 07-13-2017, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,795 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Fayetteville is a great small town in Fayette County with good shopping, dinning, and schools. It's also very convenient to the airport (20 minutes) where most of the supply chain companies are located. It also offers a decent commute to downtown. As far as up and coming, the addition of Pinewood Film studios to Fayetteville's westside and the new Pinewood Forrest development makes Fayetteville very up and coming IMO. Fayetteville has 2 zip codes, 30214 and 30215. If diversity is important to you, the northern Fayetteville zip code (30214) is much more racially diverse vs. the southern zip code (30215). The northern part of Fayetteville also has more shopping and dinning options, and the southern part of Fayetteville has a more rural feel.

Could Pinewood Forrest be the next Serenbe? - Atlanta Magazine
Hi PTC Dad & Others,

This is my first post to this website. I simply wanted to thank you for your many informative posts here. My wife and I recently moved to Fayetteville while we await the construction of our home at Cresswind Peachtree City. We have lived in metro-Atlanta for about 21 years in various areas/cities (Sandy Springs, Smyrna, South Fulton, and now Fayetteville). We are really enjoying Fayetteville and PTC. Posts on this website from you and others helped us to decide on moving to Fayette County.

Please know that you and others who post helpful information on this website are appreciated.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta