U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 08:22 AM

5,405 posts, read 2,735,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Since they are making money hand over fist, this would be a fantastic opportunity for them to get in there and help the Little Man fund transit. Having transit come to their front door will raise their property values even more and bring in more customers, residents and tenants.

Put together a proposal and go talk to them, then. In the mean time, they're already personally funding a shuttle between their property and the nearest MARTA station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 08:47 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,483,416 times
Quote:
Well, I've donated 1% of every dollar I spent for the last 40 years to transit. Now it's up to 1.5% of every dollar I spend for the next 40 years.

Would it be too burdensome for the big corporations and institutions and real estate developers to contribute, say, one-third of the amount we little folks do?
The "little folks" are still going to pay for it when these corporations and institutions pass off the cost of said donations.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:57 AM

22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Put together a proposal and go talk to them, then. In the mean time, they're already personally funding a shuttle between their property and the nearest MARTA station.
That shuttle is not open to the public, which is BS, not to mention the bus service in front of their building is every 15 mins. More often than their shuttle, the shuttle is just another way to separate people. A local bus=bad, private shuttle=good.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:04 AM

28,147 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The "little folks" are still going to pay for it when these corporations and institutions pass off the cost of said donations.
To an extent, yes. But the difference is that these huge institutions have vastly more complex systems for collecting, distributing and managing money. Many operate on a national and even international basis. They have many, many revenue streams and their finances are vastly more sophisticated and complex.

So they can absorb and compensate for costs much more easily than an individual. With these big outfits, there's no one-for-one relationship like there is with an individual.

For example, did the price of a Mercedes suddenly go up when the company decided to sponsor the Falcons stadium? Did Suntrust account fees or interest rates change when they decided to spend a few hundred million on sponsoring the Braves?

Old 07-07-2017, 09:07 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,483,416 times
Quote:
To an extent, yes. But the difference is that these huge institutions have vastly more complex systems for collecting, distributing and managing money. Many operate on a national and even international basis. They have many, many revenue streams and their finances are vastly more sophisticated and complex.

So they can absorb and compensate for costs much more easily than an individual. With these big outfits, there's no one-for-one relationship like there is with an individual.

For example, did the price of a Mercedes suddenly go up when the company decided to sponsor the Falcons stadium? Did Suntrust account fees or interest rates change when they decided to spend a few hundred million on sponsoring the Braves?
So you're fine with them passing the cost to someone else.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:15 AM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,480,463 times
Quote:
Not really. They still have to compete with companies that don't make these donations, and that limits how much they can jack up their prices.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
So you're fine with them passing the cost to someone else.
All costs in every undertaking are ultimately paid by somebody. But there are many distributive mechanisms and economies of scale that can help us achieve greater equity.

Big corporations profit greatly from mass transit in many ways -- increased property values, density bonuses, higher rents, relief from parking requirements, access to larger employee pools, etc.

Why shouldn't some portion of those financial benefits go toward funding the system?

Last edited by arjay57; 07-07-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Put together a proposal and go talk to them, then.
I may do that.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:24 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,382,430 times
Quote:
Since they are making money hand over fist, this would be a fantastic opportunity for them to get in there and help the Little Man fund transit. Having transit come to their front door will raise their property values even more and bring in more customers, residents and tenants.
Hey arjay, they already do this. Right now, funds are going to arts type programs for the Beltline, but as the transit component is added I'm sure that money will be redirected. They proudly display that a portion of parking revenues go to fund the Beltline and other alternative transportation methods. Jamestown is one of the good ones and they like to support smart development.

There is pent up demand for office space, even at their insane price per square foot. My company is about to expand to some "hidden"/unused space above the parking garage. Jamestown is finding every inch of free space available and leasing it out.

I'm not sure how much demand there is for retail though. I wonder how well many of those small footprint/big price stores are doing on the second floor. I hardly ever seen anyone in there. The popular stores all seem to be the accessible ones, like West Elm, Mountain High, Posman Books, Sugaboo (or something like that)...ones that are "reasonably" priced. I get the feeling the high ticket item stores don't do well for the most part, but maybe it just takes very few customers

Looking forward to the next phase. I bet we will see them cap off the slum garage (the freestanding one) and take out the building currently housing Dancing Goats.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:02 AM

502 posts, read 240,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They are the same ones who built Westside Provisions District.
https://www.jamestownlp.com/properti...ions-district/
Nice, I support everything they do now. They have done amazing work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or