U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2017, 12:12 PM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,297,057 times
Reputation: 1967

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I've donated 1% of every dollar I spent for the last 40 years to transit. Now it's up to 1.5% of every dollar I spend for the next 40 years.

Would it be too burdensome for the big corporations and institutions and real estate developers to contribute, say, one-third of the amount we little folks do?
That isn't donated. That's required. So how much have you donated? By your definition PCM has already paid for transit

Last edited by fieldm; 07-07-2017 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2017, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,181 posts, read 16,194,283 times
Reputation: 4913
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Hey arjay, they already do this. Right now, funds are going to arts type programs for the Beltline, but as the transit component is added I'm sure that money will be redirected. They proudly display that a portion of parking revenues go to fund the Beltline and other alternative transportation methods. Jamestown is one of the good ones and they like to support smart development.

There is pent up demand for office space, even at their insane price per square foot. My company is about to expand to some "hidden"/unused space above the parking garage. Jamestown is finding every inch of free space available and leasing it out.

I'm not sure how much demand there is for retail though. I wonder how well many of those small footprint/big price stores are doing on the second floor. I hardly ever seen anyone in there. The popular stores all seem to be the accessible ones, like West Elm, Mountain High, Posman Books, Sugaboo (or something like that)...ones that are "reasonably" priced. I get the feeling the high ticket item stores don't do well for the most part, but maybe it just takes very few customers

Looking forward to the next phase. I bet we will see them cap off the slum garage (the freestanding one) and take out the building currently housing Dancing Goats.
I don't see the auxiliary building housing Dancing Goats going anywhere. There is a preschool, Binders, City Winery, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2017, 01:28 PM
 
28,153 posts, read 24,696,070 times
Reputation: 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
That isn't donated. That's required. So how much have you donated?
Well, in addition to my required donations over the last 40 years and the 40 years to come, I have helped MARTA out in a number of ways. For example, I ride MARTA and encourage others to do so even though they think I'm crazy. I have attended many of their meetings and befriended many people who work there. I always pick up trash when I see it at stations or on a vehicle. We gave our employees free MARTA cards. I have helped MARTA with various specific projects as well.
Quote:
By your definition PCM has already paid for transit
You've lost me there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 06:33 PM
 
1,370 posts, read 1,573,408 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I don't see the auxiliary building housing Dancing Goats going anywhere. There is a preschool, Binders, City Winery, etc.
That's definitely not going anywhere. The primary areas targeted for the expansion (new buildings) are the surface parking lot at the corner of Glen Iris and Ponce and on top of the parking podium along the Beltline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 06:38 PM
 
1,370 posts, read 1,573,408 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

I'm not sure how much demand there is for retail though. I wonder how well many of those small footprint/big price stores are doing on the second floor. I hardly ever seen anyone in there. The popular stores all seem to be the accessible ones, like West Elm, Mountain High, Posman Books, Sugaboo (or something like that)...ones that are "reasonably" priced. I get the feeling the high ticket item stores don't do well for the most part, but maybe it just takes very few customers

Looking forward to the next phase. I bet we will see them cap off the slum garage (the freestanding one) and take out the building currently housing Dancing Goats.
The reason that Apple is suddenly interested in PCM is because they are achieving a high sales/sf. PCM, like every big retail development, would have loved to have Apple from the start but Apple wasn't interested at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,243 posts, read 4,385,621 times
Reputation: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
The reason that Apple is suddenly interested in PCM is because they are achieving a high sales/sf. PCM, like every big retail development, would have loved to have Apple from the start but Apple wasn't interested at the time.
It's going to be a welcome addition.

In regards to the Dancing Goats building, I think the whole place feels very temporary. Plus, I think a good portion of that building is parking. I could see them tearing that down and building some midrise something. I don't think they will put anything substantial where the fountain is in the middle of the parking lot. I get the feeling they value the sight lines as you view PCM from North Ave. A building there would disrupt it significantly. But I could be wrong, money is quite the motivator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 09:05 PM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,983,611 times
Reputation: 1426
Hope the addition includes more active lifestyle stuff and less shopping and eating. A rock climbing wall and a roller rink would be great. A few racquetball courts maybe, a place for dance lessons that kind of thing. Atl has enough shopping and eating. We are more multidomensional than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,181 posts, read 16,194,283 times
Reputation: 4913
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Hope the addition includes more active lifestyle stuff and less shopping and eating. A rock climbing wall and a roller rink would be great. A few racquetball courts maybe, a place for dance lessons that kind of thing. Atl has enough shopping and eating. We are more multidomensional than that.
Many of those active lifestyle stuff requires cheap rent to keep prices low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 07:44 AM
 
1,370 posts, read 1,573,408 times
Reputation: 810
First look at the expanion


https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...expansion.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 08:12 AM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,297,057 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
The reason that Apple is suddenly interested in PCM is because they are achieving a high sales/sf. PCM, like every big retail development, would have loved to have Apple from the start but Apple wasn't interested at the time.
Mike Jones "back then you didn't want me but now that I'm hot now you all up on me"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top