Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,071 times

Advertisements

The time has come for me to leave California. I love the weather, but the cost isn’t worth it for me. My job allows me to live almost anywhere, but I’ve settled on ATL, having heard it’s the hub of the South. My friend who lives in ATL has recommended I live in Midtown, and from the research I’ve done, it seems like a great place. However, I want to make sure I’m not overlooking other areas that could be an even better fit. So, what other neighborhoods should I be looking in?

1. Budget: $1500-~$1850/month
2. House/Condo/Townhome?: Whatever I can afford.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): I’ll be traveling a lot. Being within 20-30 minutes of a major airport is paramount.
4. Children(public school vs. private): None
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: Either, as long as I have dedicated parking and I can easily take my car to a grocery store or whatever and find parking
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Semi-important, however, I’ll likely be taking an Uber/Lyft to the airport rather than public transportation.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.: I’m a single 34 year old professional looking to live around and meet people in a similar life stage as me.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 01:54 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,222,235 times
I'm a single 34 year old professional! Aren't we the best?

For you: Midtown, absolutely. Nice studio or 1bedr apartments are going to be right in your price range. Check out some of the different apartment hunting websites, see what all you like. Here's a map of Midtown's borders, so you don't get confused by places that claim to be in Midtown but aren't:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-84.3831166

There are other great in-town neighborhoods (and nice suburbs) as well, but Midtown is dynamic and ideal for singles, has truly a lot to offer, and is growing so fast.... downright booming. Plus you can take MARTA easily and conveniently (and cheaply- $2.50 fare) to the airport. Both of the lines that run thru Midtown (Gold and Red) both run directly to the airport, and run very frequently on weekdays, and decent on weekends. Personally I would save yourself the Uber fare to the airport, honestly. But you can definitely Uber/Lyft to other neighborhoods and areas of the city, and in and around Midtown. The MARTA train doesn't go nearly enough places, and the bus network isn't that great either. But MARTA does have great airport service- literally the station is right in the terminal, next to the baggage claim. Highly recommended to try that out.

Old Fourth Ward is a good neighborhood, too- located directly south of Midtown, and right on the Beltline. Check out the apartments and lofts on and around Ralph McGill Blvd area. Really cool area. (If you went with that area, you would probably have to Uber to a MARTA station. As opposed to Midtown where you can walk to one.)

Old 07-30-2017, 01:59 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,739,338 times
Smyrna.

You will be about 20 mins from the airport. You Can get a one bedroom apartment there starting out at about $800. You will be 20 mins from the city and it's a safe cheaper area. Once you learn the city then you may decide on somewhere else but this is a good starting point

Old 07-30-2017, 02:00 PM

10,367 posts, read 11,408,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeCA34 View Post
The time has come for me to leave California. I love the weather, but the cost isn’t worth it for me. My job allows me to live almost anywhere, but I’ve settled on ATL, having heard it’s the hub of the South. My friend who lives in ATL has recommended I live in Midtown, and from the research I’ve done, it seems like a great place. However, I want to make sure I’m not overlooking other areas that could be an even better fit. So, what other neighborhoods should I be looking in?

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): I’ll be traveling a lot. Being within 20-30 minutes of a major airport is paramount.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: Either, as long as I have dedicated parking and I can easily take my car to a grocery store or whatever and find parking
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Semi-important, however, I’ll likely be taking an Uber/Lyft to the airport rather than public transportation.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.: I’m a single 34 year old professional looking to live around and meet people in a similar life stage as me.

Thanks in advance.
In terms of social networking opportunities with single professionals in their mid-30's, Midtown seems like it would be a very good fit for you, particularly with all of the overall social networking activity that goes on in Intown neighborhoods like Midtown and within the area that is ITP (inside of the I-285 Perimeter loop highway).

Being in an active ITP/Intown neighborhood like Midtown also will give you access to and from the currently world-leading Atlanta Airport via MARTA Heavy Rail Transit (subway), something that will come in handy on the days that the I-75/I-85 Downtown Connector is gridlocked.

Midtown is also an area that is heavily served by popular ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 07-30-2017 at 02:11 PM..

Old 07-30-2017, 02:09 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,222,235 times
Quote:
Either, as long as I have dedicated parking and I can easily take my car to a grocery store or whatever and find parking
Parking decks at apartments and grocery stores are prevalent almost everywhere in and around Atlanta, even Midtown. Usually free, too.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:55 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,015,985 times
Midtown.

It may or may not be your best fit, but if you are just renting, you can figure that out for your next place. In the meantime, no matter what, you most likely won't absolutely HATE midtown. Really, the biggest thing to dislike about it is knowing you are overpaying for your space...but that's unlikely to be an issue to a Californian.

On the other hand, you COULD go to a place like Smyrna and absolutely hate it (I did). I think with midtown, you are shooting at a great and broad target, you can file it to sharper point when you get here and really find your scene and then just move in a year if you really want to.

Really, I wouldn't even try one of the trendy intown neighborhoods like O4W or Inman Park because they have definite feels that could make you hate them if you don't jive. Pretty hard to imagine anyone at your stage of life just hating everything about midtown.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:53 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,760,902 times
Smyrna is definitely worth considering but the newer apartments with 34 year old professional peers are going to start at $1,200

Old 07-30-2017, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,071 times
Thanks, all. Sounds like Midtown is the place to be, at least for the first year while I get to know the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Parking decks at apartments and grocery stores are prevalent almost everywhere in and around Atlanta, even Midtown. Usually free, too.
Awesome to hear this, parking was one of my primary concerns. Glad to hear I'll still be able to drive everywhere.

I'm going to be visiting ATL in a couple of weeks, and scoping out Midtown specifically. Any recommendations on where I should go to get a "feel" of the place? I'll be traveling alone, so please keep that in mind with your recommendations... nowhere where it would be odd to be solo. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2017, 05:41 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,739,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Smyrna is definitely worth considering but the newer apartments with 34 year old professional peers are going to start at $1,200

Or not so old apartments starting at $800

Old 07-30-2017, 06:22 PM

387 posts, read 513,612 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
1, Price range is very doable for a nice 1br apt. 5.Anywhere along MARTA subway /train line is a big plus, easy airport access. 7,My daughter moved to Atlanta 2 yrs ago, got an apt near the Arts District Marta Station.She's close to Publix (great grocery chain) movie theater, shopping, etc..Atlantic Station shopping center. Driving during rush hour can be rough so location near Marta is key in my opinion. Her apartment complex has lots covered parking as most do. Individual apts may just offer street parking, but may be cheaper than the larger complex. Good luck..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: