Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 06:54 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,439 times

Advertisements

My husband and three children (6, 8, and 11) will be likely moving from St. Louis to Atlanta in time for the 2018-2019 school year (I will be moving down in January, and they will follow me). We are looking for the best schools public schools Georgia has to offer particularly STEM, but the arts are important as well. Our budget is 600,000 but is somewhat flexible. My husband will be working at Lockheed-Martin, and I will be working at SunTrust downtown. Access to the airport would be nice. We're currently half an hours drive from our city's airport, but I understand that probably won't be realistic in ATL. Close proximity to shopping and entertainment is relatively important too, and I'd like to be within a 15 minute drive of a Costco. Also coming from an area that has a large number of municipalities, does it matter if you live in an unincorporated area in Georgia or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 07:55 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
My husband and three children (6, 8, and 11) will be likely moving from St. Louis to Atlanta in time for the 2018-2019 school year (I will be moving down in January, and they will follow me). We are looking for the best schools public schools Georgia has to offer particularly STEM, but the arts are important as well. Our budget is 600,000 but is somewhat flexible. My husband will be working at Lockheed-Martin, and I will be working at SunTrust downtown. Access to the airport would be nice. We're currently half an hours drive from our city's airport, but I understand that probably won't be realistic in ATL. Close proximity to shopping and entertainment is relatively important too, and I'd like to be within a 15 minute drive of a Costco. Also coming from an area that has a large number of municipalities, does it matter if you live in an unincorporated area in Georgia or not?
Lockheed-Martin in Marietta?

I recommend:

East Cobb or West Cobb, baby!

Based on your criteria above and commuting needs, look in the following high school clusters (listed in priority order):

1. Walton High
2. Pope High
3. Hillgrove High
4. Kennesaw Mountain High
5. Wheeler High
6. Sprayberry High
7. Marietta High
8. Lassiter High
9. Harrison High
10. Kell High

Look at and study the map below:

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice...danceZones.pdf

Here is school district information:

Cobb County School District
https://www.marietta-city.org/

***If you give some more particulars (commuting tolerance, type of house desired, type of neighborhood desired, demographic comfort), I and others can help you narrow down the list above.***

Old 07-15-2017, 07:59 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Is it correct to assume that you want a SFH, you will work at Sun Trust Plaza, and your husband will work in Marietta? If so, the natural area to look will be a long I-75 between the two locations. There are plenty of nice areas, but the 600k price point will be tough inside the perimeter. Also, A lot of people inside the perimeter (inside I-285) send their kids to private school for high school.

So, I would look for a nice school cluster just outside the perimeter on the North side. Two that pop into my head are Walton HS and Dunwoody HS. Walton would have the shorter commutes.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:01 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Yes, east Cobb has great schools and good access to Lockheed Martin. If no traffic I can be at the airport in 35 minutes.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:21 AM

Thank you! My commute now is about 30-45 minutes with traffic. His is about 30. Neither one of those are realistic I know. I guess I'd just deal with it. His commute to Lockheed will probably be much easier. We currently live in a fairly diverse area, but we don't have a preference either way really. As far as neighborhoods, we would like to live in one with a clubhouse and pool. A neighborhood pool would be preferable because of the hot summers and to avoid all of the hassle of owning one ourselves.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:01 AM

[quote=brown_dog_us;48845713]Is it correct to assume that you want a SFH, you will work at Sun Trust Plaza, and your husband will work in Marietta?

That is correct.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:09 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Thank you! My commute now is about 30-45 minutes with traffic. His is about 30. Neither one of those are realistic I know. I guess I'd just deal with it. His commute to Lockheed will probably be much easier. We currently live in a fairly diverse area, but we don't have a preference either way really. As far as neighborhoods, we would like to live in one with a clubhouse and pool. A neighborhood pool would be preferable because of the hot summers and to avoid all of the hassle of owning one ourselves.
My neighbor works at Lockheed. It's an easy commute. There are lots of neighborhoods around me with community pools and tennis. I think you will find diversity to your liking here.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Hello Soccernerd,

Ok. Then I would focus on #'s 1-6 from the list in my post above...in priority order.

The schools at top-half of the list generally offer a better commute with the academic needs you desire.

The schools at the bottom of the list have the academic needs you desire, but a slightly longer commute.

The only outlier is Marietta...along with Wheeler, it is the best commute for you both. However, Marietta may not be to everyone's liking...even though it is a good school in a well-governed school district.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:41 AM

We're still in the very early stages of looking, but I was paging through listings in the extreme western Walton area. In particular I was looking in an area west of Piedmont Road. Do School boundaries change frequently, or should I look closer to the high school? It looks like if you get too far east then you're really from 75 and 400 seems like a nightmare.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
We're still in the very early stages of looking, but I was paging through listings in the extreme western Walton area. In particular I was looking in an area west of Piedmont Road. Do School boundaries change frequently, or should I look closer to the high school? It looks like if you get too far east then you're really from 75 and 400 seems like a nightmare.
They do not change frequently.

However, there is always a possibility of change.

Which swim/tennis communities in the Walton district were you looking at that are westof East Piedmont Road?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta