U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:29 AM

6 posts, read 3,489 times

Advertisements

Hello-

My husband and I relocating to the Atlanta metro area from the DC metro area in the next two months. We have two boys ages 2 and 7. My husbands job will be in midtown and my job will be located in the five points area downtown. Parking is covered. Both of us will work traditional hours. Example: 7-9 start time and 4-6 end time.

I need help with the following:

1. Where to live!
-we need average to good public schools. I would prefer not to do private schools
-we need a single family house with a budget of 275k
-we need 3 bedrooms, 2 baths 2200 square feet
-we would prefer a home that is less than 20 years old

2. Commute
-we would like a 45 minute or less commute
-open to ridding Marta

3. Diversity
It would be ideal to live in a diverse neighborhood but it isn't mandatory
We are Afro Caribean and African American

Thanks for all your help! We are really excited about the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 10:58 AM

1,269 posts, read 632,780 times
Others may be able to give more info, but I can't think of a single area within short commuting distance to downtown and midtown where newish, larger single family homes in an area with good public schools would cost less than 275k. In fact, you would probably need to more than double that budget.

Your only option is the suburbs I think. You will probably each be commuting 1+ hour each way. I'm not familiar with the best suburbs though so maybe someone else can give some advice, but perhaps around the Marietta or Roswell area.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:11 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,295,497 times
Routes | Xpress

For that price you need to live in the suburbs. Northern suburbs have better schools. Live near a bus route that takes you into Midtown/Downtown

Old 07-16-2017, 12:28 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,555,742 times
You could live in Smyrna and keep the commute under 45 minutes. It would meet your requirements for good schools and diversity. For newer construction at that price you would have more options if you consider a townhome. Some elementary schools are better than others so do you homework.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:30 PM

5,388 posts, read 4,903,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari38 View Post
Hello-

My husband and I relocating to the Atlanta metro area from the DC metro area in the next two months. We have two boys ages 2 and 7. My husbands job will be in midtown and my job will be located in the five points area downtown. Parking is covered. Both of us will work traditional hours. Example: 7-9 start time and 4-6 end time.

I need help with the following:

1. Where to live!
-we need average to good public schools. I would prefer not to do private schools
-we need a single family house with a budget of 275k
-we need 3 bedrooms, 2 baths 2200 square feet
-we would prefer a home that is less than 20 years old

2. Commute
-we would like a 45 minute or less commute
-open to ridding Marta

3. Diversity
It would be ideal to live in a diverse neighborhood but it isn't mandatory
We are Afro Caribean and African American

Thanks for all your help! We are really excited about the move!
With your budget of $275k in what has been a very hot and highly-competitive Atlanta metro real estate market as of late, the best places for you to look for housing would probably in areas like:

> The Alexander and Douglas County high school-anchored clusters of Douglas County along Interstate 20 west of Atlanta...

...AND...

> Newnan and Coweta County along Interstate 85 southwest of Atlanta.

Like Forhall and fieldm alluded to, the places that you will be most likely to find detached single-family homes within your budget of $275k or less in areas of good schools will more than likely be in outlying suburban areas that may often be located either at the very edge or beyond the 45-minute one-way commute window that you would prefer to stay within of your jobs in Midtown and Downtown Atlanta.

The aforementioned areas of Douglas County and Newnan/Coweta County seem to be two of the areas where you will be most likely to find detached single-family homes within your price range in areas of good schools that will not saddle you with painfully-long commutes to and from jobs in Midtown and Downtown Atlanta on a frequent basis.

Like lorilove alluded to, if you would be willing to include townhomes (and maybe even condos) as part of your housing search in a hot and highly-competitive metro Atlanta real estate market, you potentially might have more luck in finding high-quality housing in areas of good schools that lie within the 45-minute one-way commute window of your jobs in Midtown and Downtown Atlanta.

Though be warned that the Atlanta metropolitan real estate market currently is extremely competitive, particularly in areas of good schools that are close to job centers and close to highly-coveted amenities like retail, parks, entertainment, event centers, etc.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:25 PM

22 posts, read 11,962 times
Douglasville would fall short on good schools (most of Atl metro will), diversity and commutr requirements. I spend over an hour one way commuting to Smyrna alone.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:28 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,295,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noooooney View Post
I spend over an hour one way commuting to Smyrna alone.
Everyone I know takes Atlanta rd into the city in about 20 mins from 285

Old 07-16-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noooooney View Post
Douglasville would fall short on good schools (most of Atl metro will), diversity and commutr requirements. I spend over an hour one way commuting to Smyrna alone.
For the OP's budget of $275k or less for a 2200 SF detached single-family home that is less than 20 years old in an area of good schools that is not too painfully long of a commute to and from Downtown and Midtown Atlanta in a highly-competitive metro real estate market, Douglas County is a good place for the OP to look.

The schools in Douglas County may not have the top-notch reputation and the far-upper end cachet of schools in Northside areas like Cobb/Cherokee, North Fulton/Forsyth and Gwinnett counties, but for the OP's price point and commuting needs, the aforementioned areas of Douglas County are good places to look in the current highly-competitive real estate market.

Like many other parts of the metro area outside of the Northside, Douglas County often gets overshadowed and eclipsed by Northside areas like Cobb/Cherokee, North Fulton/Forsyth and Gwinnett counties.

But just because those aforementioned Northside areas often get almost all of the attention, the spotlight and the focus in our Northside-oriented metro area does not mean that a West Metro area like Douglas County has no value when it comes to good schools, diversity and even staying as close to the OP's commuting requirements as possible.

Douglas County is also a diverse county, as minorities make up 58% of the county's population as of 2016. Douglas County is also known to be one of the slightly lesser-painful commutes to and from Central Atlanta by way of I-20 west of the city.

I've got friends who live in Douglas County in the feeder zone for the Alexander High School cluster and they love the quality of the schools there.

I've got one set of friends who moved into Douglas County from neighboring Carroll County and they really love the quality of the schools compared to where they moved from in Carroll County.

One of the major reasons why areas like Douglas and Coweta counties are being recommended to the OP is because there literally appears to be no homes currently on the market at their price point of $275k and lower across many parts of the more-popular Northside, particularly in areas of good schools and amenities.

The pickings appear to be pretty slim at that $275k and lower price point in areas of good schools above I-20 until one gets farther out from the city (much farther out from the city going out directions like I-75/I-575 Northwest, GA 400 North and I-85 Northeast and even US 78/GA 10 East).

Below I-20, there seems to be more to be found on the active MLS listings.

The OP could also look in the area inside of the cluster anchored by Westlake High School in Southwest Fulton County where there currently seems to be a few 3Bed/2Bath detached single-family homes currently available on the active MLS listings at and below the OP's desired price point.

That Westlake HS cluster area is much closer to the city than some of the other recommended areas. That Westlake HS cluster is also near the site of a large cluster of retail amenities at the Camp Creek Marketplace off of I-285 and Camp Creek Parkway. Though the quality of the schools will be hit-and-miss and the threat of crime will be slightly higher in that part of the metro area compared to other recommended areas.

There also very surprisingly appears to be a few active MLS listings at the OP's price point in the Tyrone and Fayetteville areas of Fayette County, which is a South Metro suburban county with a very high quality of life that features a slightly less-painful commute to/from Central Atlanta and that offers some of the absolute best public schools in the Atlanta metro area....Schools that are on par with the more highly-touted (and more expensive) areas of the Northside.

Though with the continuing explosive growth of the television and film production industry in Fayette County, the OP likely may have to act decisively if they decide to relocate to the Tyrone or Fayetteville areas of a Fayette County where houses often go fast these days.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:39 AM

6 posts, read 3,489 times
This is great info. How long would a commute be from the west lake cluster? Someone also suggested LilBurn. I've seen a few houses in that area. We would be open to houses built in the late 80-90 as well. It isn't ideal but we can make it work.

I've seen houses in Lilburn that we're built in the late 80's to 90's.

Additionally, How long would the commute be from Fayetteville?

We could expand our budget, however the point of moving to Atlanta is to reduce our cost. So we are going to stick to our 40% reduction plan and pay off all our debt.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari38 View Post
This is great info. How long would a commute be from the west lake cluster? Someone also suggested LilBurn. I've seen a few houses in that area. We would be open to houses built in the late 80-90 as well. It isn't ideal but we can make it work.

I've seen houses in Lilburn that we're built in the late 80's to 90's.

Additionally, How long would the commute be from Fayetteville?

We could expand our budget, however the point of moving to Atlanta is to reduce our cost. So we are going to stick to our 40% reduction plan and pay off all our debt.
It depends on what part of Lilburn you are talking about.

The part of the Lilburn area in the cluster of schools anchored by Parkview High School has the best and most highly-regarded schools, but there appears to be very little, if any, real estate inventory on the market there at this particularly time because of the extremely high quality of the schools there.

The part of the Lilburn area in the cluster of schools anchored by Berkmar High School has good-to-okay schools but also has an extremely high and fast-growing population of lower-income and working-class transient families in that attendance zone....So be aware of the differences between the slightly more affluent and highly-regarded Parkview cluster and the more heavily transient and working-class Berkmar cluster in the Lilburn area.

Differences between the Parkview and Berkmar clusters aside, Lilburn is not necessarily the most painful commute to and from Central Atlanta but it also is definitely not the most painless commute either by way of a mostly 4-5 lane surface route (6 lanes in a few areas) along US Highways 29, 78 and 278 (Lawrenceville Highway/Scott Boulevard/Ponce De Leon Avenue).

A one-way commute between the Lilburn area and Central Atlanta would be roughly between 45-50 minutes (on the best days) to an hour and/or more (on the not-so-good days).

Because of the Westlake High School area's relatively very close location to Central Atlanta, a one-way commute between the Westlake High School area and Central Atlanta would be your most convenient (and least painful) commuting option, with that commute only taking between 35-50 minutes on most days.

A one-way commute between the Fayetteville area and Central Atlanta would take roughly between 40-60 minutes on most days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or