U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 07:20 AM

1,862 posts, read 763,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Lol, what are you talking about? This isn't true unless you use funny math.
I didn't do any numbers (and I highly doubt Charlotte, city or metro places anywhere near 6th or 7th) but I came to find that the city of Charlotte proper has alittle over 800,000 people which is double what the city of Atlanta proper has...

By city itself:
https://www.moving.com/tips/the-top-...by-population/

Charlotte surprisingly isn't far off, but its not on this list...

By metro ... its not even close, estimated to be around 21st place..
https://www.thoughtco.com/largest-me...-areas-1435135

Not sure how "accurate" these sites are but they give a rough idea as to where Charlotte really stands in relationship to the rest of the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 07:27 AM

1,862 posts, read 763,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I am a staunch believer that public transit can only get us so far. Yes, there's New York City. And yes, there are people in other cities without cars - not by choice. The biggest hurdle will be SELLING THE IDEA of public transportation to people who OWN AUTOMOBILES to alleviate traffic congestion.

As an owner of a private auto, I would have a hard time giving up use of my personal vehicle, with all of the pro's:

- 100% control of climate
- 100% control of direction/destination
- 100% control of schedule
- Secure cargo space
- Private environment - can talk on hands-free without creating or being affected by noise pollution
- Reaches all the way to my destination address (useful in inclement weather)
While I'm definitely not for Atlanta's plan of lacking freeways (DFW IS much easier to get around than Atlanta is and Texas freeways in general are on an altogether different level than anything we have in the metro.) I will say I would gladly park and use a train over sitting on I-85 for 2 hours. Not saying our highways dont need attention.. but emphasizing that the idea might not be as difficult to push as one may think if MARTA serviced the areas most people needed to go. During events, I ALWAYS used MARTA to get downtown, and also used it when I commuted to the airport.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:54 PM

3,114 posts, read 796,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
While I'm definitely not for Atlanta's plan of lacking freeways (DFW IS much easier to get around than Atlanta is and Texas freeways in general are on an altogether different level than anything we have in the metro.) I will say I would gladly park and use a train over sitting on I-85 for 2 hours. Not saying our highways dont need attention.. but emphasizing that the idea might not be as difficult to push as one may think if MARTA serviced the areas most people needed to go. During events, I ALWAYS used MARTA to get downtown, and also used it when I commuted to the airport.
I definitely agree with you on the freeways in Texas (Oklahoma has similar ones, if I remember correctly).

Service roads on the east coast are not desirable real estate because they're so difficult to get to. The prime real estate is aligned with the road crossing the interstate.

Service roads in TX/OK are PRIME real estate, because when you take an exit, going straight takes you directly to the service road, instead of spitting you back out onto the interstate. This is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or