Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:23 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times

Advertisements

“Most people feel like these bikes lanes are not for the people here,” he said. “It's for the people to come.”

Shudder! God forbid we be proactive and do anything to plan for future needs. Just what we need in elected office: People who can't see beyond their own nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 12:29 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
And there was something else about it that bothered the church and the community.

“Most people feel like these bikes lanes are not for the people here,” [Whitfield] said. “It's for the people to come.”

With the trail connecting to the BeltLine, he said, it became a symbol of gentrification.
Although I am strongly in favor of protecting our cyclists, I have to admit that Rev. Whitfield has a point.

Apparently there was no public engagement before the bike lanes were built. And why does REI suddenly have an interest in the area? Do they have any history of participating in the community?

Do you know how much use these bike lanes were getting, cq?

Old 07-28-2017, 12:32 PM

821 posts, read 726,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Although I am strongly in favor of protecting our cyclists, I have to admit that Rev. Whitfield has a point.

Apparently there was no public engagement before the bike lanes were built. And why does REI suddenly have an interest in the area? Do they have any history of participating in the community?

So let's be closed minded and not come together as one. Bravo.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:34 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And he's running for District 4 Council seat, following in the current District 4 Councilmembers ignorant ways.
Looks like I'll have to donate money to his opponent.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:37 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:

Do we have proof, other than the minister of the church who pressure city leaders to remove the infrastructure, that there were no input meetings? It sounds to me he is upset the church didn't get their own 'special' meeting, because God forbid they attend public meetings outside of their doors. An open records request will show if there were meetings or not.

I cannot speak on the use of the lanes, but ABC published stats that since installation crash rates have dropped.
Quote:
Data from the City of Atlanta shows that in the past year that the bike lane existed, crashes (car, bike, pedestrian) decreased 38%! Even more compelling, crashes that caused serious injuries fell 68%!
Westview Bike Lane Removed?! - Atlanta Bicycle Coalition
Those stats are eye popping enough to warrant keeping the infrastructure.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Do we have proof, other than the minister of the church who pressure city leaders to remove the infrastructure, that there were no input meetings? It sounds to me he is upset the church didn't get their own 'special' meeting, because God forbid they attend public meetings outside of their doors. An open records request will show if there were meetings or not.
No, I'm just taking the man at his word. If there were meetings and they ignored them that obviously weakens the Reverend's assertion.

Be that as it may, you and I both know there is an art to public engagement, particularly when it comes to potentially sensitive subjects. It may be necessary to go beyond tacking a sign up or posting on a website.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
No, I'm just taking the man at his word. If there were meetings and they ignored them that obviously weakens the Reverend's assertion.

Be that as it may, you and I both know there is an art to public engagement, particularly when it comes to potentially sensitive subjects. It may be necessary to go beyond tacking a sign up or posting on a website.
Did the reduction in car crashes and serious injury crashes not benefit the residents too?

Old 07-28-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Did the reduction in car crashes and serious injury crashes not benefit the residents too?
You are preaching to the choir, cq. Protected lanes obviously make cyclists safer.

However, that doesn't address the question of how much this community was using these bike lanes.

Nor does it address their concerns about gentrification and the feeling that these bike lanes were built mainly for the benefit of people to come instead of those who are already there.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
You are preaching to the choir, cq. Protected lanes obviously make cyclists safer.

However, that doesn't address the question of how much this community was using these bike lanes.

Nor does it address their concerns about gentrification and the feeling that these bike lanes were built mainly for the benefit of people to come instead of those who are already there.
How would protected lanes not benefit low income residents who may have no other choice than to ride a bicycle as their primary mode of transportation.
This is where that stigma of a cyclists only being a middle aged, white man on expensive bikes with spandex.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
How would protected lanes not benefit low income residents who may have no other choice than to ride a bicycle as their primary mode of transportation.
This is where that stigma of a cyclists only being a middle aged, white man on expensive bikes with spandex.
Again, you are making your case to the wrong person, cq.

What you've said is what cycle advocates should have been saying at the Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church and talking up in the Westview community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta