U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 05:29 AM

9,552 posts, read 8,612,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Once again, show up at an HOA meeting. Tell your story without first talking about lawyers. Ask to get the penalties after the first wash waived. The management company works for the homeowners. They don't want to come across in front of the board and other homeowners as jerks mistreating reasonable homeowners. There is enough problem with homeowners who ignore the HOA and don't pay their dues.
This is wise advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 05:32 AM

9,552 posts, read 8,612,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMove View Post
I'm not contradicting you. But some of the HOAs will lawyer up and find ways to maintain control of a community that is attempting to oust them. My neighbor told me that our community had been trying for quite some time to get rid of this one, but it keeps finding loop holes.

Its hard to believe that a country of laws would allow an industry to behave unchecked this way. If I screw up, the consumer has my broker, the GA Real Estate Commission and other ways to be made whole again. But an HOA management company seems to be able to just behave however they want with regard to someone else's property, including acting as judge, jury and enforcer. They serve a purpose for sure. But there needs to be checks, balances and accountability somewhere IMHO.
Your neighbors who serve on the board are ultimately responsible to the residents.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:40 PM

1,983 posts, read 3,348,398 times
Quote:
I'm not contradicting you. But some of the HOAs will lawyer up and find ways to maintain control of a community that is attempting to oust them. My neighbor told me that our community had been trying for quite some time to get rid of this one, but it keeps finding loop holes.

But an HOA management company seems to be able to just behave however they want with regard to someone else's property, including acting as judge, jury and enforcer. They serve a purpose for sure. But there needs to be checks, balances and accountability somewhere IMHO.
Do you elect the members of the HOA board? If so then that is the accountability. The management company works for the HOA, and the HOA board should be able to replace them if it wants.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:00 PM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
Quote:

Its hard to believe that a country of laws would allow an industry to behave unchecked this way. If I screw up, the consumer has my broker, the GA Real Estate Commission and other ways to be made whole again. But an HOA management company seems to be able to just behave however they want with regard to someone else's property, including acting as judge, jury and enforcer. They serve a purpose for sure. But there needs to be checks, balances and accountability somewhere IMHO.
If you have a failing subdivision, the developer may be able to keep control. Usually there is some provision that hands over management when something like 50% of the units are sold.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:20 PM

2,741 posts, read 3,161,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Because its so amazingly wrong?

We had a management company that wasn't performing and we got rid of them. We had managers and got the property management company to replace them.
The response was not wrong - the statement it was responding to was wrong.

"we" didn't do anything. The management company doesn't contract with the homeowners, it contracts with the HOA or condo corporation. The management company contracts with the HOA/condo corporation through the HOA/condo corporation board.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 07-31-2017 at 11:48 PM..

Old 08-05-2017, 05:29 AM

14,930 posts, read 26,631,362 times
OP: How is this situation going?

Old 08-05-2017, 05:58 AM

331 posts, read 190,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
OP: How is this situation going?
The last message was that they would send a board member out and let us know. That was about three weeks ago. No one has called, returned ours for an update, sent photos of the problem areas and there have been no letters since. So there I am out there after every rain inspecting and wiping down the most minor exterior stains in case the bullies attack again. We shouldn't have to live this way.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:10 AM

14,930 posts, read 26,631,362 times
Quote:
The last message was that they would send a board member out and let us know. That was about three weeks ago. No one has called, returned ours for an update, sent photos of the problem areas and there have been no letters since. So there I am out there after every rain inspecting and wiping down the most minor exterior stains in case the bullies attack again. We shouldn't have to live this way.
Thanks for the update.

Your situation has spooked me a bit. We were all set to purchase something with a HOA. Now we are leaning toward a SFH with no HOA.

Wishing you the best. Sounds like it may be time to list and get out of dodge. Just the sign in your yard may have the pressure from the HOA ease up?

Old 08-05-2017, 08:47 AM

331 posts, read 190,133 times
We're just staying positive and hopeful that they'll leave us alone.

There are plenty of communities here in the metro with some fine HOAs and management firms. In fact, our next home will likely be in one of them, because we absolutely love our current neighbors. The kids play well together and the grownups seem to just be trying to be good, responsible, friendly neighbors who watch out for each other. We'll just have to be sure to research the HOA and management firm during the due diligence period.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:05 AM

10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times
If the thing continues and an appeal to the board does not correct the problem just pay the $150 and then take the HOA to small claims court. Tends to be very effective.

You need a more significant event to involve a lawyer. Generally the lawyer bills start at several hundred and get passed a thousand if anything actually is done.

And yes HOAs lose some. And, in some cases, the HOA has been very badly damaged by the loss. Can be as two edged sword though as the winning owner is still a member of the HOA and shares the loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta