U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do drivers in the south generally and Atlanta specifically fail to use turn signals while drivin
Ignorance (Don't know what to do) 2 12.50%
Laziness (Know what to do but choose not to do it) 14 87.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 08:11 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,536,921 times

Advertisements

So it's the 10th anniversary of my moving to Atlanta from New England. One difference here in Atlanta and the southeast more generally is that many drivers (the majority?) just never use a turn signal. They cut in and out of lanes and make turns without any notification to those behind them.

This honestly is not intended as trolling. I'm truly curious this is the case here. There can only be two reasons. Either drivers here have no idea what to do (ignorance), or they know what to do and just choose not to do it (laziness).

So...which is it? Ignorance or Laziness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 AM

5,952 posts, read 2,929,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So it's the 10th anniversary of my moving to Atlanta from New England. One difference here in Atlanta and the southeast more generally is that many drivers (the majority?) just never use a turn signal. They cut in and out of lanes and make turns without any notification to those behind them.

This honestly is not intended as trolling. I'm truly curious this is the case here. There can only be two reasons. Either drivers here have no idea what to do (ignorance), or they know what to do and just choose not to do it (laziness).

Most people use their turn signals most of the time. I think occasionally people are lazy about it. Also there are a-hole drivers that never use them, and those often are the people speeding and weaving at high speeds- the very people that need to use them most. But I'm pretty sure everybody knows that you're supposed to.

One of the things I wish cops would try to enforce more/better. But I guess it's a hard one to catch.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:46 AM

4,128 posts, read 3,424,554 times
This is funny as I moved here a year and a half ago and was thinking of posting my thoughts and yesterday after having people cut me off on the freeway and slow down on surface streets for a good distance before turning I was going to mention people don't use turn signals.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:50 AM

21,030 posts, read 33,013,138 times
I'm old enough to remember my grandfather using hand signals to turn. Left arm straight out for a left turn, arm bent at the elbow at a 90 degree angle and up for a right.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:59 AM

14,952 posts, read 26,690,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Your post intrigued me. I did a Search and there are 51 threads with "Turn Signals" in the title. There are complaints, such as yours, in places such as New York City, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Savannah, Raleigh-Durham and others.

So you want to know if this is ignorance or laziness? Hmm. And native Atlantans want to know why all of these transplants moved to their city and created all this traffic. (I am one of them, a native Southerner but transplant to Atlanta).

Please don't be provincial and supercilious in assuming that there are only two reasons (ignorance or laziness) to your opinion of using signals.

Perhaps those that didn't use a signal that one time you encountered them usually use them? Maybe they were avoiding a wreck?

Old 07-30-2017, 09:12 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,435,479 times
I like the new mod.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:57 AM

21,030 posts, read 33,013,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
There are complaints, such as yours, in places such as New York City, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Savannah, Raleigh-Durham and others.
Boy, those lazy, ignorant Atlantans sure get around.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:26 AM

4,060 posts, read 3,722,446 times
Many stopped using them, because alot of butthole drivers in metro ATL will actually speed up so you cant get infront of them if they see you put on your turn signal. It doesnt matter if its 30mph or 80mph, Ive seen cars on the expressway put on their signal and the other car speeds up and they hit their rear quarter of the car and the car slides out of control into the wall, as the person who sped up looks clueless as to how all of it happened.

Ill never get the mentally of someone who will actually welcome a high speed collision for the sake of their pride. End result is both cars end up in the shop and people can be injured or killed, but nothing changes each day here.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:34 AM

802 posts, read 331,068 times
I would think most people that don't you use them are texting or on the phone or are otherwise distracted. I've noticed an alarming number of people driving without their headlamps on well after nightfall, leaving their turn signals on etc.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:48 AM

28,178 posts, read 24,730,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Your post intrigued me. I did a Search and there are 51 threads with "Turn Signals" in the title. There are complaints, such as yours, in places such as New York City, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Savannah, Raleigh-Durham and others.

So you want to know if this is ignorance or laziness? Hmm. And native Atlantans want to know why all of these transplants moved to their city and created all this traffic. (I am one of them, a native Southerner but transplant to Atlanta).

Please don't be provincial and supercilious in assuming that there are only two reasons (ignorance or laziness) to your opinion of using signals.

Perhaps those that didn't use a signal that one time you encountered them usually use them? Maybe they were avoiding a wreck?
I've noticed the lack of turn signals a lot more when I'm in other parts of the country. I've also heard a lot of folks -- no matter where they are -- complain about how bad drivers are in other cities.

Maybe our perceptions are influenced by familiarity, confirmation bias, and other psychological factors?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta