U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 10:02 PM

3,443 posts, read 2,821,201 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember Scenic Highway when it was actually scenic? I'm sure it was before I was born, but I just want to know what the area was like.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 03:43 AM

1,137 posts, read 474,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
And it didn't. The stretch of Sugarloaf between I-85 and PIB is no more congested today than it was 8 years ago. They really can't add much, Sugarloaf Country Club and other subdivisions account for most of the land. Development at Gwinnett Arena may make the area immediately around it interesting in the next few years, though.

But honestly, even when there is a big event going on, the police are really good at corralling cars into and out of the arena and keeping delays on Sugarloaf entirely manageable. They should train APD to do the same thing for Philips!
I travel that way during my work commute and will say that little stretch gets surprisingly busy during rush hour. I wasn't expecting it but it does see some heavy traffic.

For those events, I just go around them on McGinnis Ferry.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:11 AM

28,133 posts, read 24,659,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Does anyone remember Scenic Highway when it was actually scenic? I'm sure it was before I was born, but I just want to know what the area was like.
I remember when it was just a country road. Once you got past North Road there wasn't much of anything until you got to Lawrenceville.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 AM

22,160 posts, read 16,163,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The whole stretch above US-78 to Sugarloaf Parkway is a disaster. 124 between 78 & Ronald Reagan is the absolute worst with all the lights and they still keep approving more businesses in the corridor.

I'm shocked with all the cameras that Gwinnett DOT has that they still can't make the road travelable during rush hour.
That's suburban sprawl the growth ponzi scheme that is needed to keep up with the infrastructure to low density areas. Gwinnett must keep adding new development to pay for maintenance of existing, but then they are just adding more infrastructure that will need to be maintained, by more growth. Until the growth stops, then the ponzi scheme comes crashing down.
https://www.strongtowns.org/the-growth-ponzi-scheme/

Old 08-01-2017, 01:10 PM

5,401 posts, read 2,731,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That's suburban sprawl the growth ponzi scheme that is needed to keep up with the infrastructure to low density areas. Gwinnett must keep adding new development to pay for maintenance of existing, but then they are just adding more infrastructure that will need to be maintained, by more growth. Until the growth stops, then the ponzi scheme comes crashing down.
https://www.strongtowns.org/the-growth-ponzi-scheme/

Oh hey, someone else is posting it now! Good to see the message spreading.

Yeup, cars are an awful method of moving even moderately large numbers of people in confined spaces. Even worse, the projects they support just don't pay for the infrastructure needed to support them. Growth is a necessity to stay afloat, yet it can't be maintained, specially or economically.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:54 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,499,248 times
The only "scenic" part of that road now is seeing Alexander Park and the big oak tree in it as you're driving north toward Sugarloaf Parkway. (assuming it's still there. Haven't driven that road since 2013)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or