U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 02:47 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,708,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I've always felt discouraged about the prospects of a direct MARTA connection to the Internaitonal Terminal for these reasons. It would have to be on the other side of 75, which means you've got a last mile issue. And you'd still need to connect the terminals: there are things like hotel buses, people who arrive on the wrong train line, rental cars, etc. It's not a true solution.

And worse, You'd definitely need a third MARTA line. Diverting red or gold lines to this separate line to the international terminal would degrade service substantially and confuse tourists a lot.

A MARTA line through East Point and Hapeville down into Clayton mainly has merits based on serving Clayton. Not necessarily fixing this problem.

That's how I see it. Honestly the biggest problem to me would be preventing joyriders, which is hardly the worst thing in the world.
Why would you need a third line? Red goes to one, Gold goes to the other, nothing complicated about it. Most cities with multiple lines over a segment split at both ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 06:40 AM

22,159 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Why would you need a third line? Red goes to one, Gold goes to the other, nothing complicated about it. Most cities with multiple lines over a segment split at both ends.
I guess people are scared of transferring.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:01 AM

9,003 posts, read 16,139,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I guess people are scared of transferring.
Mostly People don't like the added time, and hassle it takes to transfer.

You get off one and have to wait for next train, Even if the transfer is to a train that arrives on same platform right after the 1st one pulls out, or it on the other side of the platform and your walk across the platform and get on it. It adds 2-3 minutes to the trip.

If you are traveling you probably have bags you need to move from train to train.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

You get off one and have to wait for next train, Even if the transfer is to a train that arrives on same platform right after the 1st one pulls out, or it on the other side of the platform and your walk across the platform and get on it. It adds 2-3 minutes to the trip.

If you are traveling you probably have bags you need to move from train to train.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:20 AM

4,908 posts, read 3,708,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

All lines can't run everywhere. SOMEONE will have to transfer at some point. It's a fact of life of public transport. Just take a look at a WMATA route map. Two lines serve National Airport, only one (when it's done) serves Dulles, and BWI is off either a bus, or commuter train and shuttle bus. While an airport is an important destination, trying to cram every route into serving it doesn't need to detract from overall system. While our airport station may be the busiest one outside of Five Points, it's only in that slot by a small margin.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:22 AM

3,207 posts, read 4,508,061 times
Forcing the Gold Line to split off to the international terminal is sort of like the flaws of the international terminal itself: it ends up inconveniencing a pretty big current group of users. Quite possibly more users than it helps. We're talking about pretty small flows of people using the international terminal in the first place.

And whether the station is east or west of 75 (it's far easier and more feasible to put it on the east side, but still...) you're not going to get MARTA within an easy ~1000' walk of the international terminal. Meaning a bus or something similar will be required anyways, so we're barely even improving over the status quo. East Point will be the new Lindbergh, but that's mainly because very very few people not headed to an eventual Clayton extension will want to use the new line.

And don't scoff too much at the downside of having to transfer. I've ridden the airport train hundreds of times (I work down there) and transferring freaks tourists the **** out. Seriously, I don't know how these people drive or what they do in a city like New York, but they study that map like it's the freaking Rosetta Stone. And I've seen people on bad advice bolt out of the train in Five Points since they want the Red Line, not realizing it's after 9 and the Red Line isn't running anymore (enjoy your 20 minute wait). Blind leading the blind.

And it's not just that. Halving the serving to the Airport would be a big problem. Headways would double, which would be a pain in the ass for the thousands of people who take it from the southside into work each day (the bulk of Airport Station users, to be sure). The number of Lindbergh transfers would shoot up hugely also. It would really be a much less convenient system for most people.

In general I do think we need to do a Clayton extension and branch off at East Point, I just don't think it's going to solve the International Terminal problems, and I think we should tread lightly before diverting one of the lines from the airport station. My preference would just be to make a third line that runs as far north as Peachtree Center.

Or just don't even bother with the expensive task of tying the lines together, and make everyone transfer at East Point. Transferring isn't that big of a deal, right?

Old 08-04-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
And don't scoff too much at the downside of having to transfer. I've ridden the airport train hundreds of times (I work down there) and transferring freaks tourists the **** out. Seriously, I don't know how these people drive or what they do in a city like New York, but they study that map like it's the freaking Rosetta Stone. And I've seen people on bad advice bolt out of the train in Five Points since they want the Red Line, not realizing it's after 9 and the Red Line isn't running anymore (enjoy your 20 minute wait). Blind leading the blind.
That is on the visitor themselves to not properly research a city before visiting. Knowing how and where transportation system is, etc. Hopefully as direction apps, like Google Maps, advance it can give transit directions as far as when to transfer using live data.
Quote:
My preference would just be to make a third line that runs as far north as Peachtree Center.
There is no crossover rail at that station. Turning around a train without a pocket track during peak hours will cause a ripple of delays throughout the trunk line.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:05 AM

5,940 posts, read 2,908,227 times
Whatever becomes of the Clayton Line, even if it's HRT, I 100% guarantee you that it won't be the Gold or Red line.

It'll probably be CRT, and thus definitely its own new line, that would require transfer at East Point or at a future Downtown MMPT.

In the off-chance it's HRT, it will be a new line. Probably run to Lindbergh.

But I'm almost certain if there's rail along that corridor, it will be MARTA FRA-compliant commuter rail and not compatible with heavy rail tracks/power. And at least in its first phase its likely north terminus will be East Point station. Thus requiring a transfer there for everyone.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:25 AM

10 posts, read 28,819 times
I would love to see an extension of the SkyTrain to the International Terminal.

Where do arriving international passengers go to?
  1. Their cars, parked somewhere on/near the airport. Possibly parked at the domestic terminal, particularly if they departed from domestic.
  2. Rental Car Center
  3. MARTA
  4. The domestic terminal, perhaps to fly an airline that does not have baggage recheck at International (Southwest (not sure?), Frontier, Spirit, Boutique Air, American (?), United (?), ...)
  5. GICC
  6. An airport area hotel
(Naturally I am excluding passengers getting picked up or taking taxis, as those would not need any other other transportation arrangements.)

A SkyTrain would minimize transfers for all of these. For groups 2 and 5 would actually be fewer transfers than domestic (only Skytrain, instead of Planetrain+Skytrain for domestic pax).

SkyTrain at International would also make for an easy future extension to connect to any future Clayton train station to be build a mile or so east, in the vicinity of I-75, if/when that happens. It would also serve to connect domestic pax to that Clayton train, and even MARTA pax to that Clayton train.

Now, how could they get the Skytrain over there? I would love to see the elevated train continue along the southern tips of the concourses, from T to E, then over the top of E concourse to the center of the concourse, then across to F and the international terminal. They would have to elevate it by about 20 meters / 60 feet, to clear the tails of B747 passing underneath (A380 would not clear, but we don't need A380s in the domestic alleyways anyway). Or as low at 56 feet to clear just B767/A350. The biggest challenge would be to create spans of about 150 meters / 500 feet without supporting columns between concourses. Not sure of the technical feasibility of that.

If such wide spans are not possible, another possible solution would be to dig a ditch between taxiways L and M, or between taxiway M and runway 9L, and run the SkyTrain through the ditch, building bridges at every crossing taxiway. There would surely be a drainage issue to address, and again I am not sure how technically feasible that is. If drainage can't be solved, then cut and cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or