U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 05:24 PM

1,367 posts, read 1,570,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I actually somewhat agree with your point, but acknowledge that it's super hypocritical.

Personally, I would imagine that for a place like the Beltline, a chain like Chili's would be better served by inventing a new concept that is tied in with Chili's. So it would look more authentic and not like a regular Chili's...but still have the Chili's name behind it. Like by my house, Schlotzsky's built a new concept restaurant called Austin Eatery or something like that. I don't really know what it's called, I just call it Schlotzskys...but it has a much better and expanded menu and is a sit-down type joint where they serve you. They've done a really good job with the branding that lets you know it's a unique experience and menu, but it's also brought to you by Schlotzsky's.
Similarly, Cracker Barrell is opening a new concept in the trendy Westside.

https://www.eater.com/2016/3/10/1119...cracker-barrel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 05:55 PM

501 posts, read 239,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
another example, i don't think i've ever heard anything but praise about the new qt convenience store right in the middle of midtown. No local flavor there, just the same gas station except minus the gas.

Chains aren't so much inherently good or bad in concept, but they can be done right or done poorly. And they should never make up everything around, but should be mixed with one-off places.

Now, one idea i've always thought would be cool, is for chain retail and dining in american cities and suburbs, to have a system like they do with pubs in the u.k. Where behind the scenes they're one of a few large chain distributors, but they're allowed to have unique names and local identity.

So maybe you'd have something like "grant park grill", or whatever... And behind the scenes it's owned by chili's. Maybe their menu is slightly customized and they have a few local unique variations to it, but it's also got the food/beverage distribution advantages and general economy-of-scale perks of being a chain. And therefore able to have low prices.

Try to get the best of both worlds kind of thing. I think in general in this country we should try to do more of that with chains. Just a thought.
i love qt.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:50 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,376,829 times
What brewery is coming in that's chain-like? I've heard of one that is being opened by a former brewmaster of Stone Brewery, hardly anything I would think of as mundane or suburban.

Hopefully the Beltline serves everything, from chains to local restaurants. What we think of the Beltline now is a small portion of what it will be. It should be useful for everything, hopefully not everything will turn to PCM and WF prices

With that said, I'm more bummed that that they just seem to be attempting to recreate the current Eastside beltline on the new Westside Beltline by putting in an artisanal creamery along w/ two types of breweries, beer and kombucha.

Last edited by tikigod311; 08-01-2017 at 10:06 PM..

Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,489,619 times
This thread just makes me laugh at how crazy it was to actually think that the Beltline was going to be crossed by a Chick-fil-a drive-thru and a Kroger parking lot when it was planned to route through Fuqua's shopping center. I'm kind of glad because the new plans for the Beltline along Bill Kennedy are way better, but it would have been insane if they had kept the planned alignment once the Eastside trail is connected to Memorial Drive.

That said, I'm scared to imagine how bad the Beltline automobile crossings are going to be leading into Fuqua's planned shopping center on the north side of I-20.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:17 AM

22,150 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Quote:
The food would be their standard chain food menu, but the location would have a more interesting and unique look and feel and vibe to it I'm sure. It would get a lot of cred just for being right on the Beltline.
Since when as national chain restaurants ever accomplished this? They are built on standardization and the idea that the food and feel of the place is no different from Times Square to Omaha.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:25 AM

9,555 posts, read 8,619,721 times
Quote:
I mean, it would be awesome.

First of all, the people who work there and eat there would be the in-town types from those local neighborhoods. So it would be like the Chipotle on Ponce or something, not like some random one way up OTP.

The food would be their standard chain food menu, but the location would have a more interesting and unique look and feel and vibe to it I'm sure. It would get a lot of cred just for being right on the Beltline.

So yeah, I don't know if that will happen, but I'm sure it would be successful. Especially since chains tend to be much less expensive than trendy in-town hipster places. You can have a nice sit-down meal at Chili's for $20, with unlimited chips and dip. And that includes a beer. So I think in-town people would go for that.

As long as it's good chains. (Applebee's is crap.)
Intowners seem to go for Moe's, Marlow's Tavern and the like. Those are hardly any different in quality from Chili's, so I would think a Chili's on the Beltline would do well.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:45 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,996,467 times
I'm not a fan of Moe's anymore. IMO, the reason why they do better than Willy's is because they are pretty lax on operating standards for their franchises (which almost means that there are more of them). This is based on personal observation a few years ago.

I'll take a Chipotle, Willy's, Qdoba, Tortillas, over a Moe's.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:50 AM

205 posts, read 106,151 times
Interesting point, businesses of all types will be more and more attracted to the belt line.

Lol at the anti-chain comments- who's driving all the SUVs wrapped around in town Chick Fil A drive thrus, Chipotle on Ponce, etc? Anyway, small business owners are small businesspeople too!

Used to work in a small California town that was livid when it was featured in a McDonalds commercial. Slap in the face to the guy that owned the (successful) McDonalds there!

Old 08-02-2017, 07:24 AM

2,071 posts, read 1,998,787 times
I don't think it's likely. Many of these chains are owned by large conglomerate companies or private equity firms. They've got pretty well-established criteria for site selection that includes large amounts of parking and high volumes of automotive traffic passing by daily. They've got a "formula" that works and has been proven, and there isn't a ton of incentive to deviate from those models. Have a gander at what the Darden Group is looking for when evaluating potential new Long Horn locations. If they can make money by leasing land in places where values are lower, they will. There isn't much incentive to pay beltline-inflated rents to sell the same $9 chicken tenders you can out in LeftTownshipsviilleNorth.

Darden owns Long Horn, Olive Garden, Capital Grille, Seasons 52, and a handful of other mass market chains. Brinker International owns Chilis and Maggianos. Golden Gate Capital owns Red Lobster, CPK, and Bob Evans.

One of them might try to launch a new concept there, but I doubt you'll see them trying to add locations of their well-established brands.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:33 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,639,295 times
Quote:
It's like the difference between "Murder Kroger", and some random generic soulless Kroger up in Johns Creek or something.

Chains can be locally popular and appreciated in-town, if they catch on in the right way, and build up the right culture around it. "Beltline Chili's" could easily become a thing.
"Murder Kroger" *was* some random generic soulless Kroger that a couple of bodies were found at. Folks had some fun with the nickname, but that was about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta