U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 07:34 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,374,197 times

Advertisements

Great point red92s. Being formulaic is what bothers most about chains and it is probably what will keep them away from the Beltline, generally speaking. I kinda doubt their criteria involves pedestrians highways like the Beltline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 08:43 AM

1,241 posts, read 982,818 times
I'm not too worried about it. Those chain restaurants love catering to car drivers and want big parking lots. I've seen very few of those restaurants in locations other than stand-alone with parking lots on major highways. There might be a few in malls (I've not seen any in the malls I've been in aside from Cheesecake Factory and one Ruby Tuesday) and in a few downtowns (NYC probably has quite a few). I doubt that they would desire a BeltLine location due to no automobile traffic.

It COULD happen but I doubt it. At least not under their current business model. Who knows, maybe they will adopt a new concept though. I still feel that chains should be zoned against. The BeltLine needs to encourage locals.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:08 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Haven't you realized the gentrification cycle yet?

People move to new areas and push up real estate prices to the point where only chains can afford them. Then more condos are built to try to capitalize on rising land value.

Over time, gentrified areas are transformed into the very same sterile environments that their earliest residents were so desperate to escape from.
There are countless examples of this, even within this city. It happens fastest when you have an oligarchy of landlords in an area that can organize and set rents.
A prime example of this is the commercial district of one of my former residences, Winter Park, FL. In the 80's, Park Avenue was lined with creative, independent retailers. There were, however, only two or three families that owned the street. WP's increasing popularity brought the attention of high-end chain retailers, and the $$$ they offered were too much for the landlords to resist. By 2000, The mom-and-pops were virtually gone, and with them a lot of the street's personality. Same goes for Buckhead Village, when rents quickly escalated to the point that only bars and restaurants could generate the dollar volume to make it.
You can already see the edges being sanded off of districts like Decatur, Little Five Points and Virginia-Highland.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:18 AM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
There are countless examples of this, even within this city. It happens fastest when you have an oligarchy of landlords in an area that can organize and set rents.
A prime example of this is the commercial district of one of my former residences, Winter Park, FL. In the 80's, Park Avenue was lined with creative, independent retailers. There were, however, only two or three families that owned the street. WP's increasing popularity brought the attention of high-end chain retailers, and the $$$ they offered were too much for the landlords to resist. By 2000, The mom-and-pops were virtually gone, and with them a lot of the street's personality. Same goes for Buckhead Village, when rents quickly escalated to the point that only bars and restaurants could generate the dollar volume to make it.
You can already see the edges being sanded off of districts like Decatur, Little Five Points and Virginia-Highland.
Very true, LD. Sam Massell has been on a crusade in Buckhead to save the local businesses and Mom & Pop stores, but it's an uphill battle when the big money rolls in.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:23 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
The title of this thread plays into the stigma that the suburbs are nothing but boring, lackluster chain restaurants; which it is not and changing with intown restaurants opening up additional locations in the premier mixed-use developments of the suburbs. When I hear the title of the thread, I was thinking strip malls, parking lots, and cul de sacs; not national chains. But the BeltLine already has national chains along it; William and Sonoma (PCM), Chipotle (Ponce), Krogers, WH (Glenwood Park), Chick Fil A (Glenwood Park), Midtown Place S/C, Midtown Promenade, whatever Fuqua brings to Madison Yard, Cascade Citi Center S/C.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,496,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The title of this thread plays into the stigma that the suburbs are nothing but boring, lackluster chain restaurants; which it is not and changing with intown restaurants opening up additional locations in the premier mixed-use developments of the suburbs. When I hear the title of the thread, I was thinking strip malls, parking lots, and cul de sacs; not national chains. But the BeltLine already has national chains along it; William and Sonoma (PCM), Chipotle (Ponce), Krogers, WH (Glenwood Park), Chick Fil A (Glenwood Park), Midtown Place S/C, Midtown Promenade, whatever Fuqua brings to Madison Yard, Cascade Citi Center S/C.
Fair enough, but when I picture the suburbs and the businesses there, the chains pop to mind before the mom and pop places. That's the landscape most associated with chains.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:28 AM

9,552 posts, read 8,612,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Fair enough, but when I picture the suburbs and the businesses there, the chains pop to mind before the mom and pop places. That's the landscape most associated with chains.

Spend some time out here! I think that you, like I was, will be pleasantly surprised!

Old 08-02-2017, 11:41 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Why do people act like chains don't exist in big urban cities? I can find plenty of Micky Ds', Burger Kings, Olive Gardens and other fast food crap in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Why do people act like chains don't exist in big urban cities? I can find plenty of Micky Ds', Burger Kings, Olive Gardens and other fast food crap in Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Nobody's claiming otherwise. The point I'm raising is that the Beltline has thus far been able to retain its local flavor. Can it do that going forward given its massive success is the question on my mind.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Spend some time out here! I think that you, like I was, will be pleasantly surprised!
No doubt. I know of some great places in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta