Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,328 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning on moving to the Morrow Georgia area because it's close to the city of Atlanta Georgia and my new job.

I have been researching online and it seems as if this area is undesirable. The newer homes are priced between 150k - 170k.

If I purchase a home in this area I am afraid my resale value will plummet because of all of the stigma associated with this area.

I do not have children so the school district does not matter to me. However, if I try to sell it the new buyers may consider Clayton County one of the worst districts in the Atlanta Area.

Any advice on moving to Morrow GA. How is the Mt. Zion or Lake area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 03:16 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,698,935 times
If you're buying in the City of Morrow you will find higher property values. Schools aren't as good test score wise but they are getting better. New houses in the actual city limits are going to be 200k and up. There is a very diverse community with lots of Hispanics and Asians and what's pretty much the largest retail area south of I-20. Be sure that you're buying in the actual city limits because there are better services and the neighborhoods are nicer and cleaner and there's also a citywide trail system.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:58 PM

254 posts, read 416,700 times
Why on earth would you want to live in Morrow?

Old 07-31-2017, 07:39 PM

761 posts, read 894,919 times
The City of Morrow has nice older homes and walking paths, and is convenient to Atlanta. Search posts by Clayton White Guy for detailed info on Morrow, or maybe he'll respond to the this post.

The biggest issue in Clayton is perception, and of course lower performing schools; however, they do have a couple of charter schools that are doing very well.

You may also have a hard time with resale. My parents sold my childhood home in Clayton County about 16 years ago, and according to Zillow and comps it's only worth 50% of what they sold it for in 2001. So, I'd be concerned about longterm home values in Clayton. The one thing that could turn the real estate market for the positive would be if Marta expanded their train lines into the county. That could spark a gentrification in the northern part of the county, but that is probably a good 2 decades off.

The biggest driver in suburban Atlanta home prices are schools. Just look at the real estate prices in adjacent Fayette County vs. Clayton. Fayette is one of the top ranked school districts. For that reason, I'd be cautious about buying a new construction home in Clayton County if you can afford a similar home in an area with better performing schools and lower crime rates.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:29 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,799,951 times
I have lived in Morrow for three years since moving to Georgia. What "stigma" does Morrow have that the OP is referring to? I am still trying to figure this out. I have had other peoplefrom atlanta look down on me when I tell them I live in Morrow. Its not the greatest area but it doesn't seem all that bad. What is so bad about Morrow?

Old 08-01-2017, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,328 times
Thank you for the responses. I will search in other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I have lived in Morrow for three years since moving to Georgia. What "stigma" does Morrow have that the OP is referring to? I am still trying to figure this out. I have had other peoplefrom atlanta look down on me when I tell them I live in Morrow. Its not the greatest area but it doesn't seem all that bad. What is so bad about Morrow?

School System
I was told that years ago Clayton County School District lost their accreditation but got it back years ago. Most people who purchase homes try to find a home in the best school district. After the school system went down the majority of the "affluent" people moved to other areas in Atlanta with better school system.

Crime Rate
After speaking to an Atlanta native, I asked about the Clayton/Morrow area. He stated that when the Olympics came they moved a lot of the low income housing out of the city and provided housing in the Clayton area. They gentrified the low income housing areas for the Olympics causing a spike in the rent and property taxes. As a result, the crime rate increased significantly in Clayton County. Unfortunately, this is what he said .. not me.

He also said when he comes to Clayton County he doesn't leave home without his concealed weapon. Not sure if this is his paranoia or the area but it alarmed me that he would want to carry when traveling to Clayton. He also said he avoids the area if he can.

Property Value

While researching I called up a friend who does real my estate in Atlanta. I asked him about Morrow. He said if I purchase a new home I may not be able to sell my property because of point 1 and 2. He also stated that the homes in this are do not hold their value.

He also said there are no future developments that he knows of in the future plans of the city. He said most developers are focused on Henry County. He gave the example of South Atlantic Station. He told me that I would want to be in an area that's growing and not at a standstill.

Google - Crime Rates
In property crime, Morrow, GA is 248% higher than the average of Georgia and is 340% higher than the national average. The overall crime rate in Morrow is 299% higher than the national average. For every 100,000 people, there are 32.37 daily crimes that occur in Morrow.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:19 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,698,935 times
I do have to tell you that the whole accreditation thing was a scam. Atlanta Public Schools did horrific things in the 2000's but never lost accreditation while Clayton did little to nothing that was shady. Fulton, DeKalb, and APS have terrible schools in their lower income areas while all of Clayton is lower middle class so Clayton can offer more support to its schools because they aren't competing with a wealthy area for resources.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:35 PM

178 posts, read 144,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyNoxx View Post
Thank you for the responses. I will search in other areas.

School System
I was told that years ago Clayton County School District lost their accreditation but got it back years ago. Most people who purchase homes try to find a home in the best school district. After the school system went down the majority of the "affluent" people moved to other areas in Atlanta with better school system.

Crime Rate
After speaking to an Atlanta native, I asked about the Clayton/Morrow area. He stated that when the Olympics came they moved a lot of the low income housing out of the city and provided housing in the Clayton area. They gentrified the low income housing areas for the Olympics causing a spike in the rent and property taxes. As a result, the crime rate increased significantly in Clayton County. Unfortunately, this is what he said .. not me.

He also said when he comes to Clayton County he doesn't leave home without his concealed weapon. Not sure if this is his paranoia or the area but it alarmed me that he would want to carry when traveling to Clayton. He also said he avoids the area if he can.

Property Value

While researching I called up a friend who does real my estate in Atlanta. I asked him about Morrow. He said if I purchase a new home I may not be able to sell my property because of point 1 and 2. He also stated that the homes in this are do not hold their value.

He also said there are no future developments that he knows of in the future plans of the city. He said most developers are focused on Henry County. He gave the example of South Atlantic Station. He told me that I would want to be in an area that's growing and not at a standstill.

Google - Crime Rates
In property crime, Morrow, GA is 248% higher than the average of Georgia and is 340% higher than the national average. The overall crime rate in Morrow is 299% higher than the national average. For every 100,000 people, there are 32.37 daily crimes that occur in Morrow.
I have an Aunt and Uncle that I just visted that lives near here. Lake Spivey, Jonesboro, GA Housing Market, Schools, and Neighborhoods - realtor.com®
Been to Jonesboro and next door to Morrow many times and never felt unsafe.I also saw new construction of homes all over in Clayton .Less than Henry or other more popular counties but its so ridiculous.
I think if you went there yourself you may be surprised and see its got good and bad aeas just like Dekalb and Fulton Also according to the Census<Clayton is not standing still.It out grew Dekalb between 2010-2016
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rgia/PST045216

Last edited by SenseSoCommon; 08-01-2017 at 04:45 PM..

Old 08-01-2017, 07:52 PM

614 posts, read 1,094,392 times
Morrow has more retail than the other Clayco cities and is close to the City so I can understand why you'd want to move there. If you don't mind a few more minutes and want to stay in Clayco, try Jonesboro/Hampton. Really, just move down by the racetrack. It's safe.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,335,703 times
I lived in Morrow my entire life until about five years ago and loved it. Of course you can ask, "If you loved Morrow so much, why did you move?" The answer to that is simple: Five years ago, in the worst housing market in seventy years, we found a MUCH larger home for our family of five in the Lake Spivey area in a neighborhood that we could previously not have placed our big toe in, much less have afforded real estate, but, I digress.

The Real Deal on Morrow:
1. Live INSIDE the City Limits
A. VERY responsive public safety/ police and fire (not so much in unincorporated Clayton County)
B. Nicer kept mid-century neighborhoods thanks to a hands-on city code enforcement board.
C. Morrow PATH system: pedestrian/ bike/ golfcarts.
D. Enviable systems of parks
E. Friendly people.
F. Strong diverse churches
G. Morrow shopping district/ Southlake Mall (no, not everything you want, but probably all that you need.)
H. Reynolds Nature Preserve

I really enjoyed Morrow. As far as crime goes, I honestly NEVER had a problem in over thirty years. When our children were babies/ toddlers, my wife had an annoying habit of getting distracted strapping the kids into the car and leaving the carport door WIDE open all day long; no one ever disturbed ANYTHING in our home. Once a bat flew down our chimney and the Morrow police department actually came and "saved" my wife from the bat. Having a three minute response time from Morrow EMS actually saved my parents' lives more than once.

Morrow Elementary has actually always been fairly high performing. B.C. Haynie Elementary is a Title One School of Excellence many years running. No small feat when you consider its ESOL population (mostly Hispanic and Asian) is over 60%. Clayton State University is also located in Morrow.

Morrow is relatively close-in to the City of Atlanta compared to many other locals.

The glass is more than half full in regards to the City of Morrow. It is clean, quiet, and convenient. Many days I miss the lifestyle there. Feel free to private message with any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta